1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Smith System driving course

Discussion in 'Prius c Fuel Economy' started by unionista, Jul 5, 2012.

1. unionista

unionista New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Has anybody else here taken this course? I became acquainted with this course through my employer. It was an actual, hands-on, over-the-road class offered as "advanced" driver training for fleet management. If one accepts the training (some don't and just will not correct their bad driving habits), it will help to maximize gas mileage from ANY vehicle you drive. Unfortunately, the "live" classes are limited to commercial fleets only.

The reason that I bring this up is that many habits learned from the Smith System are the same ones that maximize gas mileage attained from hybrids. In checking for the web site address, I see that they now offer web-based training. Maybe someone here might be interested. They have one course devoted solely to fuel economy. Find it, along with a preview, here.

2. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    For the thrifty among us there are short, free preview vids that are worth watching. At least get your inexperienced drivers to watch.

3. strongbad

strongbad Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I took the "Smith System of Space Cushion Driving" when I was in high school in the 70s. I'm surprised the course is still around. I found it to be a collection of common-sense driving techniques that were pretty obvious, but so many drivers seem devoid of common sense, so they could probably profit from the course.

4. rjdriver

rjdriver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Even though Prius owners are already predisposed to want better gas mileage, I'm willing to bet that if all cars had the same dashboard feedback that we see, 2/3 of non Prius owners would moderate their drving habits as well, just from that alone.

5. mnaf

mnaf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Ditto.
    It's about the information.