1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

SMKS Bypass - Cheap Alternative

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by vertex, Aug 5, 2009.

1. vertex

vertex Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    In a previous post I mentioned that I was unhappy with the cost of getting a smart key programmed to work on the Prius. I read on these forums the trouble people had trying to buy a key online, and then having trouble getting it programmed. Seemed like the only safe option is to buy a new key from the dealer, and have the dealer program the car for it. I mentioned that I thought the SMKS system was gimmicky. If I had my choice, I would have purchased a car without it. Anyway, when I got my Prius it only had 1 key. I decided that I could put in an aftermarket keyless entry system instead and save $$$. Of course, I can only use the new keyless entry system, so the SMKS feature no longer functions. I purchaseed an IC Dynamics 4RTA with two remotes for under $50 with shipping. This system can lock/unlock doors, flash the lights, beep the horn etc. I decided to go for a minimal installation and see how I like it before adding in the other features. What I did only locks/unlocks the doors, and prevents the car from being driven if the IC Dynamics doesn't unlock the car. I connected onlly 7 wires as follows:
    IC Dynamics Function Prius
    Red wire +12 in 1A-30 Red
    Black ground 1E-17 white black
    Blue/black unlock common 1E-17
    Green/black lock common 1E-17
    Violet unlock 1H-13 blue
    Violet/black lock 1H-14 violet
    Orange Armed/KSW1 2A white/black (cut wire and splice to side going to the key)
    Connectors 1A, 1E and 1H are inside the dash to the left of the steering wheel, under the metal plate.
    I leave my SK in the key slot all the time, with the SMKS switched off. I swapped the lock unlock functions, so the lock button unlocks the car, and unock locks it. This is because the Armed signal is an open collector output, and grounds whatever is connected to it when it thinks the doors are locked. I could have added another transistor and inverted this function, but I wanted to install it as simply as possible to test it out. I physically put the unit under the airduct on the drivers side. If fits nicely in the space. When you purchase the unit, you have to program it to recognize the keys provided with it. I did this on the bench first with a 12 volt supply. You could do it in the car, but you would need to temporarily connect the yellow wire to 12 volts as per the instructions. You only need to do this once, and should never have to repeat it. If anyone is interested in doing the mod, contact me and I can post more detailed directions. I doubt that very many people will want to do this, but it is an option if you are short cash, or if the car is near the end of its service life, and you don't want to spend a lot of money.

Caveats:
    You can only lock, unlock the car with the ICD remote. You cannot lock the door by pressing the lock button and leaving the car, or with the key. (I had two copies made of the physical key for $5 each at my autoparts store. They are full size keys.) If you lock the car any other way, the ICD will not unlock it, you will need your key to get back in. Also, the ignition defeat will not be working. If you turn the SMKS system back on, the car could be driven, even in the locked position, since the RF link will connect to the key in the slot.

2. spitinuri

spitinuri Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Buy a black label key from Ebay. It's not SKS. But you can program it yourself to lock and unlock the car and use it to start with the key inserted into it's slot. At least you will have a back-up. There are threads within PC that will show you how to program the key. Your cost around $50 plus 30 minutes to set-up.

3. vertex

vertex Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I had one, tried to program it and couldn't. I resold it. I read conflicting stuff, some said they can't be mixed, others that they can. If that worked for me, I would have been happy.