1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

smog check - WHERE in O.C. California

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by lawrenceingalls, May 23, 2004.

1. lawrenceingalls

lawrenceingalls New Member

Can't believe I need a SMOG CHECK for the DMV. Where can I do this in Orange County, California?

2. cybele

cybele New Member

You need a smog check on a Prius or on another kind of car?

Hybrids can't be smog checked by any old place - they have to go to a referee station.

They have info on California's state website - http://www.ofa.dgs.ca.gov/Alternative+Fuel...SmogInspect.htm

Referee Scheduling Center at 1-800-622-7733

3. slowpoke

slowpoke New Member

Wow, I didn't even know that. Good looking out cybele!

4. cybele

cybele New Member

Cars in California don't have to be smogged until they're four years old. So the new model is exempt for a while.

Right now the referee stations are few and far between, but I'm guessing as more hybrids are registered and switch hands before the 4 year period is up (they must be checked when they are sold, even to private parties) they'll come up with some other way to check them than make someone drive 40 miles ....

The good news is that the referee check only costs 8 or 9 dollars, whereas the last smog check I got on my Subaru was $56 (and I had to get two in one year, one for registration in February and then another one when I sold it in December).