1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

smoke coming out of oil filler cap

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by GarytheGeek, Jun 4, 2021.

1. GarytheGeek

GarytheGeek New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    the red triangle binked at me every other time i drove my prius. my OBDii picked up no codes so i thought that it is just my new battery is not that good. i decided to just keep driving for 4 or so weeks like this. then today durring a road trip, i had to brake hard and the red triangle came on again and the low oil light came on. it went away after i stopped braking. i freaked out and stopped at autozone and bought some oil, it needed 2 quarts. as i was putting oil in the engine a small amount of smoke was copping out of the oil filler hole. it is a small amount and i know that a small amount is normal, but it didnt stop. after i came back 3 min later a small amount of smoke was still comming out. so this is a 3 part question, was the red triangle trying to tell me the oil was low all allong? is my engine damage (2 quarts low and the smoke)? if so how bad?

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    2 quarts brought it to the top mark on dipstick? Checked on level ground? Was there ANY oil showing on the dipstick when you first checked, assuming you did. Say a little at the tip?

The low oil light is for oil pressure, and typically comes on when it’s near dry.

jerrymildred likes this.
  3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    pretty common for a little vapor to come out of the oil fill hole on a hot engine with not enough oil...

Valiant V and jerrymildred like this.
  4. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You were cooking what little oil was in the engine. And damaging the engine. I'd recommend changing the oil asap to remove the stuff that's been boiling. And from now on, get in the habit of checking the oil at least every tank of gas. This is standard procedure for all cars, even new.

edthefox5 likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's a toyota option, no extra charge

6. GarytheGeek

GarytheGeek New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    2 quarts brought me to halfway between the 2 markers. this was measured on level ground. i could not tell if there was oil on the tip. there was oil on the dip stick when i first checked. i then cleaned it and saw that there was no oil between the 2 dots and freaked outand filled it up. i did not check if there was oil on the tip.

7. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Red triangle of death comes and you keep driving?

yes red triangle was begging you to stop and check the oil.

yes the engine is damaged,

jerrymildred likes this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Top mark is just shy of 4 quarts on second gen, something like 3.9 according to Owner’s Manual IIRC? Distance between the marks represents 1.6 quarts, again IIRC.

With that info, I’d say after adding the 2 quarts there was about 3.1 quarts (3.9-(1.6/2).

And prior to the top up you had 1.1 quart (3.1-2) in the crankcase.

Short short version: you probably had about a quart in there, not good, but better than nothing. The oil warning light had just come on, intermittently, like during accel/decel, and/or while you were cornering, and the oil was sloshing away from the pump.

bottom line: you might have dodged a bullet.

9. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Smoke says otherwise.

Mendel Leisk likes this.