1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Smoke Detector saved my life

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by rflagg, Nov 23, 2004.

1. rflagg

rflagg Member

Just a friendly holiday reminder to make sure your smoke detector is working properly especially during this time of year when stress is high, stove and candle usage is high, and so on.

Last night I woke up to my smoke alarm going off downstairs. A hanging candle that was lit on Sunday evening was attempting to burn down the house. Both my partner and I knew we blew out that candle, along with the others Sunday night, and haven't lit a candle since - yet there it was, pouring out smoke, blackening (?) our ceiling, and dumping wax onto the carpet. I had to use a glass of water to put it out as it was too strong to be blown out as I tried. We were very lucky that the wrapping paper below the candle never caught on fire, or we would've had a much bigger mess.

I'm really thankful that it didn't get worse, and that the 2 smoke detectors we have worked (the second one, mounted to the house, took about 5 minutes longer than the one at the base of the stairs, that one we bought at home depot - has a built in light that comes on & helps you see). My partner has sleep apnea, and his breathing machine filters the air so he certainly wouldn't have noticed the smoke, nor would have I - and it was pretty thick in our room upstairs, had to open all the windows last night until this morning.

Anyway - sorry to go on about it, and I'm not looking for any sympathy as I was quite lucky and have nothing to worry about except wax in my carpet - but I've heard too many fire stories lately to pass up the opportunity to remind people to take 5 minutes and make sure your smoke alarm is working properly. I certainly won't forget to in the future!

-m. aka smokey

2. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    great advice bruce!! as usual, i change the batteries every year on time change day.