1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Smoke from dash!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by oly_57mpg, Sep 5, 2006.

1. oly_57mpg

oly_57mpg New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The other day while I was driving with a passenger, I was making a few hard turns and holding the wheel at an angle for the duration of an Oregon traffic light cycle (see: really long).

While at the light, I started to notice a fine string of smoke rising through the gear selection knob. Neither the A/C nor the fan was running so the air in the cabin was extremely calm.

The smoke looked almost like a fine spider web and as such, I thought that it was. The only problem was I couldn't grab it with my hands and the instant my hand was close to it, it disappeared.

Then, with a sinking feeling (as once being a CE (CS/EE) student) that spider web was much more likely smoke. At the next long-nice person-Oregon-traffic light I was able to re-create the issue again with more smoke by holding the wheel at an angle. This time, I was able to confirm that I wasn't going crazy by asking my passenger if they could see the smoke exiting from the gear selection fascia. (By the way, this is a great way to scare any occupants of a vehicle, as I have learned).

This time I was able to get a sniff of it. It did not smell like epoxy or plastic, which is good, because that means it isn't a CPU/Logic or wire burning. Instead, it smelled like theatrical smoke. That is to say, it smelled like glycol / mineral oil smoke. So, now I know that something is creating smoke under the dash that isn't a wire or epoxy encapsulated.

I know that the power steering unit is under the dash in the cabin, in the area by the gear selector.

The next question... Has anyone else seen this? I'm assuming that the power steering motor is stalling at some point and causing the smoke. Would anyone else like to give it a try to see if they can reproduce?

I still love my Prius! I've had 27,500 miles with out any issues. This is not a post bashing the Prius by any means.

2. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've never seen the smoke you're describing (thank goodness) but I do recall the owner's manual mentioning that the electric power steering can overheat in certain circumstances.

And from what I've heard, it's not usually good to hold the steering against the stops in this manner...regardless whether the power assist is provided hydraulically or electrically.

I believe that the only symptom mentioned in the manual was, the steering effort would increase; the smoke IS a bit disconcerting...

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    electric motor from the power steering unit?

From the owner's manual:

In the following cases, you may feel the
    steering becomes heavy. However, the
    electric power steering system warning
    light does not come on. (Because it is
    not a malfunction.)

When maneuvering the steering frequently
    or keeping the steering wheel
    turned fully while the vehicle is stopped
    or moving very slowly.

The power steering effect will be reduced
    to prevent the system from overheating.
    Avoid turning the steering wheel, or stop the vehicle.
    When you leave the vehicle in the “IG–ON†mode
    for a while, the system will become cool.

NOTICE
    If you repeat the operation which will
    turn on the overheating prevention
    function, the electric power steering
    system may be damaged.

4. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    What did it smell like. Smoke is never good. If it had an electrical smell I would call the dealer. Smoke is bad.

5. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Uhh, he described what it smelled like.

And that he doesn't think it smelled like electrical-system smoke.

6. oly_57mpg

oly_57mpg New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Many thanks to Pinto Girl and Tideland Prius for pointing out the section in the manual.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Sep 5 2006, 10:08 PM) [snapback]314917[/snapback]</div>
    Indeed, that very one. It's much smaller than the power steering pump on a 240 DL Volvo!!! ;)

To reiterate, the smell if very similar to stage smoke... Or if anyone still has an old Lionel train set that uses the wax pellets or model train that uses 3 in 1 house oil for smoke...

I figured that under extreme conditions the power steering motor would strain/overheat. I was much more curious if anyone else has seen the smoke or if I'm the only one to notice?

This is _not_ something that I would consider taking to the dealer over as I know where its coming from and, thanks to two quick posters, what the dealer would say if I took it in! ;)

7. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(oly_57mpg @ Sep 5 2006, 03:33 PM) [snapback]314788[/snapback]</div>
    Patient: "Doc, it hurts when I twist my arm like this . . ."
    Doc: "Your arm wasn't designed to bend like that. Don't twist your arm and the pain will go away."

I must ask, oly_57mpg ~ Why are you doing that to your Prius . . . and is your next torture test driving with the parking brake set? :huh:

8. oly_57mpg

oly_57mpg New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Sep 6 2006, 01:29 AM) [snapback]315024[/snapback]</div>
    Ah ha! A good question... and an even better analogy, although the wheel turns

Apparently, the traffic engineers for Washington County, Oregon went out for drinks or something that kept them _seriously_ inebriated while 'designing' the traffic flow and setting the light timing on my route home from work. I was transiting from a two lane to a four lane traffic intersection (one lane into three - one left turn, one straight, and one straight and right turn lane).

Most people traveling in the same direction as me make a left turn at said light. The inebriated traffic engineers made said left turn lane about three times too small in length and its light timing too short for the given traffic at 17:00. The left turn arrow turns red before the two straight lanes get a green light. Oregon doesn't seem to have very many left turn yield on green where it's completely appropriate!

Since most people are making a left, they block the one lane that also feeds the two other lanes - one of which I want to be in. I was trying to maneuver around the cars waiting to get into the left turn lane. This caused me to turn sharply. I needed to get the front of the car aimed in the right direction the instant the light changed to green for my direction to make it through the next two, un-timed, lights.

Sorry for the long post... :)

9. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(oly_57mpg @ Sep 5 2006, 11:40 PM) [snapback]315045[/snapback]</div>
    Glad to hear it's not a case of intentional Prius abuse. :)
    That kind of thing could ruffle the feathers of some PriusChatters. :(

10. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    To quote Henry: Smoke is bad.

If it smokes, take it to the dealer.