1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Smoke from rear interior after acceleration

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Spenser, Aug 4, 2016.

1. Spenser

Spenser New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    hello!! New Prius own here, bought s 2007 with 113k. Car seemed in ok condition. Drove it easy for 75 miles until today when I needed to accelerate up a large hill. After conquering the hill, I noticed in my rear view mirror smoke rising from the back-possible from the vent on the passenger side rear. It smelled like electrical smoke. Definitely worried as the battery is right there. I googled and can't really find anything but brought me here. I drove the vehicle home safely but it did it again when accelerating to freeway speeds.it won't do it under normal conditions.. Thoughts? -Spenser

2. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yikes that's totally unacceptable to have smoke and we have not heard many smoke reports like that, I don't think. That vent (if on the passenger side) is the hybrid battery vent. There is a fan down there that can clog up and needs to be looked at once in a while. I would wonder if the orig owner had the hybrid batt replaced. Also the 12v batt is down there and could contribute. There is a vent to the outside there over the rear tire.

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    why don't you take apart everything in the back and take a look. Pull everything out as if you're going to get to the spare tire and the battery

4. Spenser

Spenser New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I opened the trunk and removed stuff down to the spare tire tools- couldn't find location. Dealer said they recently replaced the 12v. I the hybrid battery under a lot of extra load (charge or powering) under intense acceleration? I'm a low knowledge hybrid person. I have read stuff on keeping battery fan clean and wondered if it was possibly that.

5. 'LectroFuel

'LectroFuel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow! I was shocked at the title of this thread! I've never heard of this before. Take a test drive with the technician at the dealer and drive up the hill that made the battery smoke. Did the previous owner replace the hybrid battery? If you don't have a lot of knowledge about your car, I wouldn't take everything apart. Good luck!(y)

6. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The plastic grille on the top right of the rear seat is an intake for cooling the hybrid battery and it's unlikely smoke came out of it. There are heat sensors in the battery cells, and mechanisms to shut down the hybrid system in case of overheat. That's good news--there probably isn't an issue with the main battery cells. It's possible the hybrid control shorted and burned without producing a lot of heat in the battery cells, but that likely would have blown a fuse and disabled the system. Inspecting the system would require special tools, safety precautions, and knowledge.

If the smoke may have come from the passenger side rear of the luggage compartment, that's where the 12V battery is. Since that was recently replaced, that's the more suspect area. But that battery does not see extra load (heat) when accelerating as the hybrid battery does, so if something shorted out on a climb it would have been coincidental. It's possible for a 12V short to produce enough energy to melt things, and that damage should be visible. There are a couple of large modules at the 12V battery terminal--I would inspect that area closely.

No check engine light? Did you happen to notice the state of charge of the hybrid battery on the dashboard display?

7. strawbrad

strawbrad http://minnesotahybridbatteries.com

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II

Read this thread. Battery Fire | PriusChat

You really should take the cover off the HV battery for an inspection.

Brad

8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Umm, that this directly coincided (twice) with high current being drawn from the HV battery would lead me to suspect the HV battery with probability close to 1. I can't rule it out just by saying there are a handful of temperature sensors scattered in measurement wells among the 28 battery modules. I would guess the smoke to be from local heating at a degraded connection somewhere on the current path (which could be any of the 56+ high-current connections in there, as they are all in series).

I would not recommend 'drive more and try to make it happen again' as a diagnostic approach. I would not be surprised if there's visible evidence, but it will only be visible with the battery cover off, which should be done by someone who knows the safety procedures and has the protective equipment to do it.

If the OP doesn't feel up to that task, I would urge getting the car posthaste to a shop that can do that and carefully inspect. If towing isn't an option, then driving very carefully, avoiding any high-current acceleration or braking.

-Chap

Spenser, Mendel Leisk and strawbrad like this.
  9. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    you need to take it to the dealer right away. if they say there's nothing wrong, insist they check it better, because something is very wrong.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  10. Spenser

Spenser New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thanks for the info - no check engine light, charge was 7-8 bars. Taking out the entire rear isn't feasible for me to inspect so going to take it to a dealer :/.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! keep us posted, all the best!(y)

12. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I could maybe understand oily smoke from engine compartment coming in through the vent over the rear tire, but you said smoke was electrical so that seems to point to rear compartment.

13. Spenser

Spenser New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Yes, definitely was not oil. I drove a 2007 legacy with a leaking head gasket that dropped oil right on the exhaust for months. The smell wasn't as pungent as the "blue smoke of death" of electrical devices, but had a hint of ther along with just a musty burned smell.

14. Augustus88

Augustus88 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    The hybrid battery can supply 100-120 amps under hard acceleration. Sounds like the very thorough inspection of the battery and surrounding area is needed.

15. Spenser

Spenser New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Circling back with you all. Got off the phone with the dealer: Hybrid battery has a bad cell causing charge backup and resistance to hybrid computer, found some scorch marks near said cell. He said his techs parked the Prius alone by itself in the corner of the dealer lot as they are afraid of a fire. Quoted me $4522.96 US for new hybrid battery and computer. Definitely frustrating - dealer on add said to me "recently had the hybrid battery checked by a mechanic and is in a great shape". I know I can buy reconditioned battery, is it worth doing that? TBH - I bought the car from off a public listing for 4900 - value is around 6500. Thoughts?

16. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sounds like the battery is not in bad shape, just has a bad module. You can probably find someone to replace that module for you or you can do it yourself.

I don't think you need a new battery ecu, just the replacement module should fix it. If you want to replace the battery ecu, they can be purchase fairly cheap on the used market (about $50 or less)

17. Spenser

Spenser New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Expand on that - bad module - service advisor said has a bad cell, that doesn't mean I need a whole new battery?

18. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There are 28 modules in the prius battery. Each module has 6 cells. Not everyone uses those terms properly.

Toyota's only approved method of fixing a bad battery cell/module/pack whatever, is to replace the entire battery. They don't have a service to replace only the bad module (1 of 28). You however can watch some youtube videos or find a local person that can replace that module for you.

Spenser likes this.
  19. Spenser

Spenser New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    ok got it - called a local hybrid repair shop and told me it depends on how bad the module is. Quoted me 800-1600 for rebuild or up to 2400 for a new one with a warranty. Much better.

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if you just bought it, and plan to keep it for awhile, i would go with a new one. if you dump it down the road while the battery is still good, you might be better off to part it out.