1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

SMOKE magazine Fall 2004 vol 9 no. 4

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Godiva, May 1, 2005.

1. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    My Father bought a case (or crate or whatever they come in) of cigars. My mother was cleaning it out ready to toss and found this magazine in the bottom which my Father had overlooked.

Page 58 has an article called "Smoking out the best Cigar Cars"

Sounds lame I know.

It reviews three cars: Mercedes Benz SL500, GMC Sierra Hybrid and Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. Where is the Prius you ask? In the middle off the GMC Sierra Hybrid section listed as the only truck that can provide a safe haven for cigar smokers, because it's a hybrid.

Here is the money paragraph:

"Thanks to the Toyota Prius, anyone who drives a hybrid can do so with a conscience as clean as the engine's ultra-low emissions. Never mind that the hybrids' Hollywood champions have heated swimming pools, air-conditioned mansions and a secret stash of gas-guzzling SUVs and exotic sports cars. A hybrid vehicle gives you a free pass from tree-hugging, environmental extremists and their politically left-of-center allies---the very same people who vilify cigar smokers.

What could be better than lighting up a Zino Platinum Scepter (or such like) in a hybrid pickup truck? The anti-cigaristas have to love you---even though they hate you. You're performing one of the most politically incorrect of acts in the most politically correct vehicle. It will drive them nuts."

It then goes on to say the GMC Sierra Hybrid truck isn't a real hybrid.

The next paragraph talks about the mileage the GM hybrids get or I should say don't get. For instance the GMC Sierra Hybrid getting 16.5 mpg instead of 15 mpg. Then says "It's a good thing facts have nothing to do with politics."

www.smokemag.com

Sorry, full article not online.

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Great cars to smoke in?
    Whatever.

I'll tell you what drives me nuts about smokers. As I'm driving down the road, I see people flicking their ashes and flipping their butts into the street. Ashes I don't care so much about, but those butts are litter plain and simple. I can't tell you how much I'd love to get elected into office just so I can viamize the discarding of trash out the window of a vehicle. Oh that's right, there's already a law about throwing trash out the window of a car. How come no one seems to care about the cigarette butts?

My world is not your ashtray!
    You bought it. You smoked it. You keep it!

Sorry. Had to get that off my chest.

3. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It is against in the law in SC. If I see you throw a butt out the window, I can call 1-877-7LITTER and they'll send you this nice "courtesy letter."

http://www.palmettopride.org/assets/displayContent.pdf

When it's a company car of some sort that I see throwing out even a cigarette butt, I call that company and report the tag #.

4. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Sure there's a law. So what? What's the point off making a law that is never enforced? You have to actually catch someone doing it. Even then, it would have to be a police officer. If YOU see someone toss a butt out the window, take down their license plate number and report it, do you think anything happens?

At least my Dad does not toss his cigar butts on the ground when he's done. He disposes of them in trash cans. I've watched him. Maybe it's 50 years of nagging from my Mother, but he does.

Cigarette butts are NOT bio degradeable. Years pass and they're still there. It's not just the smoke that vilifies smokers to non-smokers. For me, tossing the litter on the ground is just as bad. We lost blocks of homes on the rim of Mission Valley here a few years ago because some smoker tossed his lit cigarette out the window while going down the ramp from 805 north to I-8 east. Major fire with many homes lost. And smokers wonder why they are hated. If you want to kill yourself, just jump off a bridge. You want to do it slowly and painfully? Eat rat poison.

The thing I found interesting about the article was the Prius being used as the symbol of politically correct hybrid. They then say that the GMC truck gets the benefit of the hybrid label without actually being a true hybrid, giving the 10%-15% improved mileage (15 mpg to 16.5 mpg) as the example. But the fact that it's called a hybrid still makes it politically correct.

I found another article while reading our local paper online that mentioned the Prius when talking about developing hybrid electric warships. I have to wonder if the guys in the naval research lab drive Prii and that's why they're used as the example.

5. Devil's Advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Well I have already commented in another thread that the center pull-out drawer would make a perfect humidor. The only problem is my Prius still has that new car smell, do no smoking in it yet. Probably not for the first year.

The comments about the butts are also correct. Cigars biodegrade in a relatively short period of time, a couple of months turns the remnants of a full bodied CAO into plant food.

As far as ashing out the window, you have to just be observant of where you are and the conditions. Cigar "ash" as with most ash is not sufficient to start a fire, its the butts that can do it.

The other point is that over the course of a week a HEAVY cigar smoker may smoke 10 cigars, I usually average between 3-4. That is FAR FAR fewer butts than a pack a day smoker, which would be 140 non-biodegradable butts.

6. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Well this is small town WI for ya, and a relatively different situation, but my husband was staying with his best friend after the friend lost his mother a couple years ago. Neighbor of friend calls the police because hubby's car back then was quite the eyesore, but police could do nothing. Next day, while hubby and his friend were visiting friend's family, neighbor called police saying my hubby ran a stop sign and nearly hit him.

That afternoon, small-town cop comes over and writes him a $200 ticket. Since it was 300mi away from home he couldn't make the court date to protest it.

It's still on his driving record, driving up insurance costs. In small town WI there doesn't have to be a cop present or watching to screw you over.