1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Snakebitten but lucky so far

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by srellim234, Sep 25, 2015.

1. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    We picked up the 2006 Prius in June. We immediately did a thorough 120k service, changed trans fluid, had a new 12v battery installed and went to the Michelin Energy saver tires. In September the hybrid battery went out at 123k miles and 9 1/2 years. Toyota replaced it for free. One day after we got it back the MFD went out (my wife had noticed signs of it before the battery went so no, the dealer didn't sabotage it.). Crown Toyota installed a refurbished unit for $1500. I know we overpaid but it was a lot cheaper than a new unit and we just want the car right. At least Crown gave it a one year unlimited mileage warranty.

After a minor service yesterday at 125k I took it to America's Tire this morning at 8:00 for a free rotation and balance check before I head up to California City again tomorrow morning. As the tech was spinning them he found one of the rims is much more out of round than it was when the tires were put on. We knew it was out a little but it's gotten MUCH worse. As luck would have it the warehouse truck had just loaded up the tires and wheels that were going back to the warehouse for disposal or sale elsewhere but hadn't left yet. On the truck was a barely used set of MB Turbo rims, $99 each when new. They offered them to me for $50 each and managed to flag down the truck in the parking lot as it was leaving. They unloaded the rims, transferred the Michelins to them and put them on the car. 40 psi front, 38 psi rear. 4 rims, tires mounted, $275 out the door.

They told me to put 50-100 miles on them and come back for a torque adjustment so I hit the freeways out to San Bernardino, over to Pomona and back to the store in Upland. I had just filled the car up and right now after an 85 mile round trip it's showing 60.2 mpg on the screen.

I feel a little snakebitten with major things going wrong with the car but so far we've been very lucky financially with the repairs. It also seems the car keeps running better and better with each change.

We'll see what tomorrow brings....

bisco and strawbrad like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    keep the faith!(y)

srellim234 likes this.
  3. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm definitely keeping the faith but I'm starting to wonder at what point I get to call it a "new" instead of "used" car. :LOL:

I do think they'll look even better when we get the windows tinted. That said, I did received a compliment on the rims from a total stranger in the Rite Aid parking lot this afternoon. I'll have to learn to post a picture.

bisco likes this.