1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Snow and Hills

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by SayNoToAmericanCars, Nov 12, 2007.

1. SayNoToAmericanCars

SayNoToAmericanCars New Member

i'm about to get a Prius and I was wondering how is handles and how it drives on hills and during snowy conditions. Thanks in advance! :)

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It does about as well as any front-wheel-drive car. The OEM tires are not the best all-season tires, so many of us in snowy areas have replaced them with something better, but there are several posters here on PC that have used the OEM tires for years and claim they do okay in snow. I love the VSC option: my Prius is the most stable car I have ever driven in slippery conditions, including a Jeep and an all-wheel-drive van.

There are two things to keep in mind when driving a Prius in snow:

1) It isn't a truck or SUV, so ground clearance can be a problem. Don't try to wade through deep snow.

2) The traction control is touchy and takes some getting used to, but does okay once you learn how to use it.

Tom

3. SayNoToAmericanCars

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Nov 12 2007, 10:46 PM) [snapback]538695[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks man!

4. Chrome

Chrome New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SayNoToAmericanCars @ Nov 12 2007, 09:56 PM) [snapback]538651[/snapback]</div>
    Awful screen name, just awful.

Some people are just clueless and indifferent to the privilege it is to live in the U.S.A. The least you could do is support its largest manufacturering industries. That, or join the armed forces.

Anyway, your wreckless screenname aside, the Prius has many reports of trouble in the snow, due in part to its "fuel economy over safety" tires and in part to its wack traction control system.

You can read all about it here:

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2007..._snowbound.html

http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=13476

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2007...prius_snow.html

5. SayNoToAmericanCars

Thanks for the links and sorry about the screen name...i'll change it if it makes you happier. I just never had an American car that worked out for me. All plaqued with problems, defects, you name it.

6. mxvet

mxvet humble

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Chrome @ Nov 13 2007, 07:21 PM) [snapback]539118[/snapback]</div>
    chrome,
    your comments are of course your right , however, since you don't have a prius (or hybrid of any sort), your screen name speaks of a disregard for the environment. Best not to toss stones.

7. Chrome

Chrome New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(humble @ Nov 14 2007, 09:42 AM) [snapback]539392[/snapback]</div>
    "Chrome" speaks of a disregard for the environment? Y'all better never eat in a Diner again! You're supporting the destruction of the environment

8. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Further, be aware "consumeraffairs" is a web site set up by lawyers to attract business, not inform consumers. Your govt has asked them to "cease and desist" but, being lawyers, they can pretty much do whatever they like for quite a while.

9. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Chrome @ Nov 13 2007, 06:21 PM) [snapback]539118[/snapback]</div>
    I served 10 years in your Army before moving back to Canada. I've given my pound of flesh, how about you?? Have you volunteered at a VA center recently? When I lived in the States, I regularly volunteered at the VA

Oh, as far as snow traction issues, did I mention all the problems I had with my "proudly made in the USA" 2000 GMC Sierra 4x4? That AutoTrac transfer case is garbage, actually the mode select cluster. When I had a cabin, it left me stuck a few times when it went haywire.

The cute part? The Driver Information Center scrolled "SERVICE 4WD" in scary amber letters. In that failure mode, the transfer case reverts to 2WD and you're stuck. The even cuter part? Three mode select clusters under warranty, and it managed to fail once off warranty, before I dumped the s***box by invoking lemon law protection.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SayNoToAmericanCars @ Nov 13 2007, 08:55 PM) [snapback]539193[/snapback]</div>
    Join the club. We have jackets

10. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Chrome @ Nov 13 2007, 06:21 PM) [snapback]539118[/snapback]</div>
    The OEM tires might not be ideal for the snow... that's why there is a market for snow tires.... I had no issue with my 06 traction control during the last snow storm.

Here is a video of me getting out of the snow. I had no trouble going anywhere I needed to go. I even got out after being burried by the snow plow in Brooklyn, NY. I had to dig out of the snow and thanks to the precise control of the electric motor, I was able to get out. To be honest, with that skinny Integrity tires and automatic transmission, I don't think I will be able to get out.

11. SayNoToAmericanCars

Thanks guys! You've all been really helpful!

12. mamerica

mamerica Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Some people aren't happy unless they make everyone else miserable. Complaining about a screen name? Sheesh! Perhaps you should change it to "JustSayNoToBoardNazis".

I've driven and repaired both American and Japanese cars for over thirty years. There is really no comparison. It is obvious that the Japanese take their quality personally.

American car manufacturers have complained for years that they cannot compete because their labor costs are much higher. IMO, if they didn't have to spend so much on warranty repairs, they could actually compete.

Hey, It's a free country, and yes, I am a veteran. Just drink the kool-aid and buy that Ford.

13. RSTEINHART

RSTEINHART New Member

I LIVE IN AN AREA WHERE WE HAVE SNOW, SLEET, ICE, ETC. AND I REQUIRED SONW TIRES. HOWEVER, THE SNOW TIRES I INSTALLED HAVE A SOFTER RUBBER SURFACES WHCH MAKES CORNERING A BIT MORE DIFFICULT.

14. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RSTEINHART @ Nov 19 2007, 07:21 PM) [snapback]541712[/snapback]</div>
    We can hear you okay without needing to yell. :rolleyes: Seriously, most people equate typing in all caps to yelling, so it's considered better form not to do it, but thanks for posting. ;)

Tom