1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Snow + Prius= funnnnnnn!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by PRPrius, Feb 12, 2010.

1. PRPrius

PRPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Starting Thursday morning we had a record setting snow fall in the metroplex! I ventured out to check the conditions and see how well the Prius handled the snow. I have a set of four Bridgestone Potenza RE960 AS pole position tires along with the VSC system. I was amazed at how well the car handled the weather. From deep snow to slush and icy roads the Prius dealt with it in strides. I passed by the town of Rhome and encountered very deep snow (deep enough to make the front bumper work like a plow). The traction control and VSC worked flawlesly and allowed me to go up some very steep hills. I saw many vehicles unable to go up some of the hills in my area; with the TRAC and VSC system I was able to pass them with no issues at all.

The only two problems I encountered were:

1) If you drive the vehicle in slushy areas be prepared to loss steering clearance. This car loves to carry slush in the front and rear wheel wells. I found myself unable to turn the more than 1.5 turns multiple times. I had to manually clear the slush out of the suspension area. The rear wheels suffer from the same issue but I didn't bother with them, even when you could hear the noise from the ice rubbing against the tires. (due take into consideration the fact that my Prius has the mudguards; I have a feeling they were somewhat responsible for the buildup of slush inside the wheel wells)

2) Starting from a dead stop on deep snow is an issue! I found that using the B mode allowed more wheel spin from the traction control. I assume that since B mode keeps the engine rotating the damage threshold for the PSD goes up. That extra wheel spin was all I needed to get out of any situation. Since the wheel spin was controled by the brakes, I didn't cause me to loose control. Next time you get stuck due to the traction control, try engaging B mode and step on the accelerator. Let the computer sort out the power and you will be out fairly quickly.

2. BAllanJ

BAllanJ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I know what you mean about slush filled wheel wells.... Kingston's specialty (well not this year...it's been very dry) is slush. You get used to kicking the brown ice off the mud flaps as you walk around the car scraping windows before you head out. Long stretches on straight highways can make it hard to turn in the off ramps, as you've discovered.