1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Snow Removal Question

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by MaggieMay, Dec 31, 2009.

1. MaggieMay

MaggieMay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Caling all you fanatics in frozen climes. I can't think that the plastic snow brushes/ice scrapers available at the drug store can be good for my car's finish. I checked Grinot's and didn't see any replacements. Did I miss something? Any thoughts or recommendations???

Thanks guys and Happy New Year!!

2. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Personally, I never use an ice scraper on my car's painted surfaces.

But I'll use a brush, a broom or my arm to remove snow and loose ice.

3. Rhino

Rhino New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My personal feeling is that only glass should be scraped. Just leave the snow on the rest of the car. Brush off what you can so you can see out. The rest will melt off.

4. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, I'd never use a scraper on my actual car finish....and I'm talking about a 93 Honda. Even with windows I only keep a scraper in the automobile for emergency situations that I might encounter. But if I'm at home starting out? I find with a pre-treatment of Rain-X, coupled with just a little heat from the cars own window defroster, usually at least for "Urban Oregon" levels of Snow and Ice, I can clear my windows without using any abrasive tools beyond just my gloved hands.

5. MaggieMay

MaggieMay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Oh yeah - only scrape ice and only on glass! But after 3+ inches of snow, I gotta get it off painted surfaces - I just worry that those stiff plastic bristles will scratch the finish.

6. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well it did get down to 54 last night, really cold!

The year I left Vermont we had 48 below, that is why I am here in SD to stay!

1 person likes this.
  7. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Maggie, I know from posts from the summer that you Zaino'ed your Prius. So the finish with clearcoat and your extra protection should be in good shape. I don't quite understand why you feel you have to "remove" the snow and ice from the body? Outside of just maybe brushing the bulk of the snow off roofs, fenders and other areas....which you can just use an arm or hand...

Personally just having clear visibility and the automobile "clean" enough that I can drive it without "pieces" falling off and bothering others is all I maintain during a winter spell. Eventually warmth from either the enviroment or the auto itself will remove the snow and ice from the finish, and that's probably the safest way to ensure no damage.

I think maybe what you really want is snow and ice avoidance, inwhich case either a garage or a car cover is your best bet.

8. MaggieMay

MaggieMay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

LOL Salsa! I grew in SD - DelCerro to be exact - and in LaMesa for a short time. Maybe I'm crazy, but I gotta say - I love ite here!! :)

9. walterm

walterm Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I always use one of these:

Snow Broom or Sno Brum - Non-Scratching Auto Snow Removal: CozyWinters

It clears snow quickly, and without scratching. I always clear off all the snow I can and wish everyone else did too - I hate seeing a car driving down the road with the windshield cleared only by the wipers, and the rear window with only a small hole from a quick brush by hand.

In NJ it's the law that all snow and ice has to be cleared from the roof of cars and trucks, to avoid accidents and blinding the car behind you with the trailing plume or flying ice chunks.

1 person likes this.
  10. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just for the record, yes, it's a pet peeve of mine. I do hand remove all the major layer of snow from my car. I HATE following someone or trying to follow someone who hasn't removed huge amounts of snow from their car. It's bad enough when the snow has stopped but then you get pelted by a artificial storm from the automobile ahead because they were too lazy to remove the 4 inches of snow from their roof. Arrgh....I don't know if it's a law in Oregon but I wish it was, seems like some people LIKE to keep as much snow on their car as possible as long as possible here, like a mobile moving snowman. (we just had a very minor storm...so these realities are fresh)

11. Bica2go

Bica2go New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I use the Snow Broom too. It's going to come in handy over the next few days as we get 6+ inches of snow. If there's a layer of ice on the car under the snow I try to keep the broom on top of the ice so the ice doesn't get pushed and possibly scratch my Zaino job!

Didn't MA adopt a law last year like NJ's about clearing the roof? or did they do the usual - talk about it and never get around to passing it?! oh well..

12. MaggieMay

MaggieMay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks Walterm!! That's the ticket! I knew someone would come up with something!

It's the law here in MA to clean your car - honestly, if they handed out tickets for it MA wouldn't have needed to raise the sales tax!! I'm with youse guys - Clean your friggin' cars!

Thanks for your responses. I'm pretty pleased with how the Prius has handled this winter - one thing I notice is that the sensors on the door handle don't register my gloved finger - I have to take off my glove to get it to 'see' me. Probably others have noted this too - a tiny annoyance

happy New Year everyone!.

13. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Happy New Year MaggieMay!

That Snow Broom/Sno Brum does look good ... I'm going to put it on my Christmas list next year.

But to answer your initial question, I just don't see how the bristles from your typical combo snow brush/ice scraper or the bristles from any brush or broom would tend to scratch your paint or scratch it more than that Snow Broom/Sno Brum.

14. Econ

Econ Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    if you have 3+inches of snow on your car, I use a snow brush BUT do not touch the paint. Make sure the bristles are about a 1/2 inch from surface and off the paint. If there is ice stuck on the paint .... LEAVE it there. Let it melt. Get as much as you can off without trying to break the ice with you hands or especially the handle of the snow brush.

15. LeadingEdgeBoomer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    No problem here with locking the car with a gloved hand. Maybe depends on the thickness of the glove? Have not tried with ski mitts.

16. shankyyy

shankyyy Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I induced first scratches on my windshield and windows by using a regular plastic snow brush. I have driven less than 100 miles, and hate to see scratches. Will the Sno-Brum avoid scratches on glass also or anything better?

Re. clearing snow from the top and areas not necessary, whether it is a law or not, I try to remove as much snow from the car as possible. Else, the weight of the snow is going to cost you mileage.

17. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have a car wash type brush that I use to remove snow from the top of the car and side. If you have a powder snow, an easy way to remove it from the sides of the car is to just open the car door and close it with a little more force than you normally would. Snow falls right off every time. No issues with the sensor on the door handle here either. It actually was comical when it continually locked/unlocked just by the brush touching it when I was clearing the snow off. I'd go over it one way, and it would unlock, then back the other way and it was locked again. Soft bristles won't really affect the car at all. Just make sure you don't use one of those regular, cheap floor brooms with the really stiff bristles.

18. PriusRoadWarrior

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I will brush snow if possible. (NEVER use a scraper on your paint) If I want the car better than a snow brush, I either go to a do-it-yourself car wash or a regular PDQ car wash and get their $5 special. My car never goes more than 4 days without a wash, and if it is dirty after our weekly cruise on every Saturday, that we put on a minimum 300 hundred miles, it goes to the wash again. (I can't stand a dirty car)
    **** By the way, in case you are wondering, I live near Green Bay in Appleton, and we have done day trips (round trips) on our Saturdays to Upper and Lower Michigan, Iowa, Minnesota, Illinois, Saint Louis, Indiana, and once into Ohio.****

19. shankyyy

shankyyy Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    yea, i gotta get a new brush with soft bristles. more often, i'm faced with using the back side of the snow brush to scrape off the frozen snow on the windshield. do these scratch the glasses? if i have to use defrost, it would take a long time.

20. downeastah

downeastah Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I decided to try the California PopTop to see how it would be as far as keeping snow off the glass.
    [​IMG]
    Car Cover, Car Sun Shade - California PopTop
    It works quite well, actually. Now, all I do is sweep the worse of the snow off the cover, pull the top off then clear snow off the hood. All the glass stays ice/snow free.
    It also keeps the frost off the glass over those cold coastal Maine nights.