1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Snow Tire recommendations

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Dave001, Oct 9, 2009.

1. Dave001

Dave001 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Does anyone have recommendations on snow tires for a 2010 prius? I live in southern Ontario, Canada. In the city the snow is usually ploughed so there are not to many days when snow is a problem.

1. Are snow tires worth getting on the Prius?
    2. Any recommendation for decent tires at a reasonable price?
    3. TPMS - should I get new ones for the winter tires or can they be switched between the winter and summer tires? I believe if I get new ones the car needs to be programmed to work with them. Will this be an extra charge when I rotate the tires each season?

Thanks for any answers in advance.

2. Pohaku

Pohaku Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm looking at snow tires myself, so I'm not yet in a position to recommend any, but as to TPMS, if you get new ones, you will either need to pay to have your dealer reprogram every time you change tires (apparently the computer can only address 4 codes) or buy a stand alone unit to do it yourself.

DIY TPMS Programming - Tool to Program your Own TPMS Sensors - Toyota Scion Honda - Toyota Forums :: Toyota Nation

Revolution Supply Co. - ATEQ TPM Quicket Device

They run @$150.

Keep in mind that the TPMS sensors are not cheap either (@$106 each). Personally, I'd skip the sensors and live with the TPMS light for the winter.

1 person likes this.
  3. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you get dedicated snow rims and tires, I wouldn't bother with the TPMS during those winter months. To me, the cost and PITA factor of putting TPMS on the snow tires is prohibitive -- $400+ for 4 sensors, plus money$ to install them, plus about $50 each time to register sensors which you would have to do twice a year. And for what? I'd rather check the air pressure once or twice a week, and eyeball the tire pressure on the other days.

If you are considering new or snow tires, then check out Consumer Reports November 2009 issue's apples to apples tire tests, which include tests of winter tires.

Attached below are the Ratings Charts for those tire tests (the winter tires chart is the last one on the second page):

[​IMG] Consumer_Reports_Nov._2009_Tire_Tests-1.doc

6 people like this.
  4. chrisj428

chrisj428 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I'm currently waffling between two right now: Michelin X-Ice Xi2 and the Bridgestone Blizzak WS60. As I'll just mount them on my 17s, I'm planning on going with a 205/50/17 for increased sidewall protection & narrower section width.

5. aapoppa

aapoppa formerly known as "Popoff"

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I've seen some very positive reports on the Michelin and will most likely be going with a set.

I've got a set of 15" wheels left over from my Gen 2 and am planning to drop down to 195/65/15 for the winter.

Comments about the pros and cons of dropping down to 15" wheels vs staying with 17" wheels for snow tires would be appreciated.

6. chrisj428

chrisj428 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Coming up on my 16th season running snow tires, I would say that, if you have the means, doing a minus 1 fitment is always desirable for snow tires. Whenever I was purchasing a wheel/tire set for wintertime, I always dropped down at least 1" in terms of wheel diameter, and make the requisite changes to the section width & aspect ratio to keep the rolling diameter as equal as possible.

I make the minus 1 change for two reasons:

(1) It typically results in a narrower section width (the first number of a tire size -- tread width measured in millimeters). This lessens a tire's propensity to "float" on top of the snow/slush/etc. as opposed to cutting through it and gaining a more solid footing.

(2) It typically results in a higher aspect ratio (the second number of a tire size -- sidewall height as a percentage of the section width). This gives me more "space" between the tread and the wheel, so when one of Chicagoland's monstrous potholes rears it's ugly orifice to claim another wheel, I have more cushion between the impact itself and the wheel.

Going to a minus 2 (17" --> 15") shouldn't prove an issue, providing (a) there are no brake caliper clearance issues and (b) you adjust tire sizes appropriately.

In my case, I'm not planning on buying a second set of wheels. So, instead of going with the bespoke 215/45/17 tires, I will drop down to a 205/50/17 size for the snow tires.

1 person likes this.
  7. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I've been using Bridgestone Blizzak's (all 4 wheels) on my '04 since it was new. They perform better than any other snow tire I've ever used.

8. Edward Walsh

Edward Walsh New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Hi Dave:

Being from Canada as well I have always had snow tires and for quite a few years now a dedicated set for the winter season. Easy on and easy off come fall/spring.

This time around I was planning to go with the same for our new 2010 Toyota Prius. However, for at least the first winter I am just going to purchase the new winter tires and have the local Tire/Oil shop change them for me. I really don't want to purchase 4 extra TPMS sensors right now along with 4 new rims and winter tires as the cost alone for the winter tires I am getting is going to set me back over $700 - Nokian Hakkapeliitta 5 which are studded from the factory BUT come very highly recommended! My wife works for Canada Post delivering mail to Rural Route communities and has to be on the road no matter what the weather usually is. So having a very good set of tires is worth it for us. Maybe next spring after the first winter change over I will revisit the subject of having seperate rims and possible sensors then.

As regards to what is viewed as 'reasonable' by yourself I don't know. But there are other brands that are less expensive and would serve most persons needs - General Altimax Artic, Firestone Winterforce, Continental ContiwinterViking 2, Hankook W409, Pirelli Winter Carving Edge. which all run around the $500 range for a set of four and can be studded if you need that extra assurance.

Hopefully this bit of info helps you as the snow is already flying in some areas. Friends of ours are heading to Labrador, Newfoundland which I have been told has about 18 inches of snow already!!!

All the best.....

9. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

I would say to hell with getting the TPMS with the winter rims. The cost factor keeps going up by adding frills that any average driver can do themselves, eg swap off the "all season" tires for the winter tires

Living South of Sault St Marie, I don't think Ontario drivers are allowed to use studded tires yet. After 2 decades of injuries, deaths, lawsuits, the Ontario government finally relented and allowed studded tires again for NW Ontario

All the previous claims (Traction not worth the effort, "eats up" the road) have been proven FALSE by the Swedish road research authority, VTI. If you look around for their documents, they claim that modern winter tires, with modern studs, do little damage to roads, and dramatically improve winter safety

After having tried studless winter tires on my Prius and my FJ, I'm sold again on good studded winter tires. Like these factory studded Nokians

[​IMG]

After driving on 150 km of glare ice Trans Canada, only to be turned back by a major accident involving a couple of semi trucks, I will never use another winter tire, especially a studless one

On my Prius, I really liked the Goodyear Nordic studded from Canadian Tire. Its the same tire as the Goodyear Ultra Grip 500 sold in the EU

Goodyear Eur-Winter Tire-UltraGrip 500

If you click on "Profile" a Flash movie loads that explains the tire construction, benefits, and testing. There was a day and night difference between the Yokohama Ice Guard 10 and this tire, in snow and especially ICE traction

10. johnkodem

johnkodem Prius Owner since Aug 25 2009

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Living on the north coast of PA where we get 140+ inches of snow each winter, I have used the Michelin X-Ice on a non-Prius with great results. With my 2010 Prius, I haven't decided whether to put them on the Prius, go with an all-season tire or what just yet. I figure that I'll learn quickly enough how the VSC and TRAC systems work. Then I will decide. If I go to a snow tire, I'll probably go with the Michelins. I told my wife that I would know by the end of October. In typical fashion, she said that it better not snow before Thanksgiving. Dream on.

In lieu of a new post, 24 hours later I bought a set of Michelin X-Ice 2s at Costco while they are $70 off a set of four. The sale ends this weekend. They ride just like they did on my other car: quiet and cool. I'll have to wait to see how they do on a front-wheel drive car instead of AWD Subaru.

11. aapoppa

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Is there a difference between the x-ice and the x-ice xi2? Is the latter a newer tire?

12. chrisj428

chrisj428 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The X-Ice 2 is the newer tire, replacing the original X-Ice.

1 person likes this.
  13. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    non-studded, here are my recommendations.

Nokian Hakkapeliita R
    Michelin X-Ice xi2
    Bridgestone Blizzak WS-60 (shorter life than others)

If you don't want the hassle of switching tyres, I recommend the Nokian Hakkapeliita WRG2

14. bokone

bokone Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've been a fan of the Bridgestone Blizzaks

15. Mt View

Mt View Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I live at 8600 feet in Colorado and deal with a good bit of snow. I have a 2nd set of wheels that I used on my 2005 Prius and ran studded snow tires from October through May. My 2005 didn't have TPMS so I have been thinking through the costs (from Discount Tire).

1) Two sets of Wheels (already have the wheels and almost new studded snow tires), no TPMS in the snow tires - No Charge for changing winter and summer tires, live with TPMS when running snow tires.
    2) One set of Wheels - Cost for mounting/balancing, sell current wheels - $58 * 2 (twice per year) = $116 per year
    3) Two sets of Wheels, TPMS - Cost of TPMS, Cost of programming tool - $99 (for wheel sensors) * 4 + $149 (for programming tool) = $545 one time

I’m pretty sure its going to be option 1) and maybe some black tape over the indicator.

16. aparker148

aparker148 New Member

Model:
    III
    I live in buffalo ny and am thinking of purchasing a 2010 Prius (with possibility of used 2008). My research on-line is scaring me. I drive all day for work and am fearful of getting stranded in the now. Please let me know if my fears are accurate. What will happen to me in snow and ice??

17. aapoppa

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Based on my experience driving my '05 on snow and ice, I would not want to rely on it as my sole means of transportation in the winter, especially if I had to be out every day. My Prius had the very sensitive traction control you've probably read about and I got to the point where I was scared to drive it on snowy or icy roads. I considered it downright dangerous.

I understand the TC is less sensitive in the '08 but the low ground clearance could also cause problems during a snowfall of any significant accumulation.

I'm sure there are many here who will disagree with me but that is my honest opinion.

18. Pohaku

Pohaku Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm a new Prius owner, so I can't speak from experience about winter driving, but if I really needed to depend on a car in the winter (and like you, we get real winters here in Minnesota), I'd get an all wheel drive vehicle. We've always had one all wheel drive car to make sure we could get around in the winter (ever since the legendary Halloween Blizzard here where we got something like 2 feet of snow in two days. Our other car is a CR-V and we had a Subaru before that. If I just had one vehicle and I lived in snow country, that's what I'd be looking at. As it is, I'll be looking at putting snow tires on the Prius as well.

19. Airbalancer

Airbalancer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Southern Ontario , no studded tires
    Also rememeber winter tires are better when it is -10 and dry
    -10 and all seasons ate hard like hockey pucks, what do you want to drive on

20. pro101

pro101 The best car, is no car.

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Going for the x-ice2 on 15 inch wheels, set of 4. Will mount them late November as they need to be driven in temps < 40 Farenheit and it's the time when Seattle (hill suburbs) reaches that point of consistent morning freezes.