1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Snow Tire Review - Nokian Hakkapeliitta RSi

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by craigk, Dec 2, 2007.

1. craigk

craigk Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I put on my new set of 4 Nokian Hakkapeliitta RSi snow tires, mounted to an extra set of Prius factory rims. We had 6" of snow here this weekend. Here are my comments (see edits after 800 mile highway trip):

Weight of tire/rim: 30-31 lbs.

Traction in snow:WOW! I'd give them an A++, the car went up snow/ice hills easily that my Integrity tires couldn't even attempt. The traction control light went on a fraction of the the time it used to, and when it did the car just kept on moving. Anti-lock breaks haven't gone on yet.

Road noise: Of course, it's a snow tire! Not too bad though. Don't have another to compare to.

Handling: The car definitely feels softer in tight turns on dry pavement, but the car sticks to the ground in the snow. Never missed my all wheel drive, this car can handle snow no problem.
    edit 12/10/07-great handling on 800 mile highway trip, better than stock Integrity. Didn't get blown around by trucks.

Fuel economy: It's winter, snow, temperature in testing was 10f-20f, the mpg's do drop :( I expect my winter mpg's to be in the upper 30's (summer 50!). Still much better than the 12mpg truck I was going to use (sold) for the winter before I put these tires on.
    edit 12/10/07-800 mile highway trip, temp 15f-20f, at 73 mph part#1 averaged 45mpg, part#2 averaged 41mpg. When speed reduced to 60mph part#3 averaged 51mpg! In town short trips (no time to warm up) seem to be at 38mpg.

Tire pressure: Currently at 41 psi, rated for up to 51.

Tread life: To be determined. If I get 3 seasons I'll be happy and buy another set. They have easy to read tread wear indicators.

Other: The tires are "directional", make sure you mount them on the correct sides!

Love the tires!

Click here to see Tideland Prius' review of the Nokian Hakkapeliitta WR:

[​IMG]

2. craigk

craigk Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Update after one winter season (3900 miles):

Handling: Great in the snow.
    Wear, front: Even wear, wear indicator dropped from 8-6-4 to 6-4.
    Wear, rear: Even wear, wear indicators still at 8-6-4.
    MPG: Winter MPG dropped from low 40's to upper 30's.

Overall rating: A++

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting. After 18,000kms, my WRs are showing the same wear pattern.

6-4 in the fronts and 8-6-4 in the rears. Just got them rotated.

4. AdamKPL

AdamKPL Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So the RSI's are discontinued and have been replaced by the R's...any word on these?

5. nownow

nownow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I was actually still able to order the RSIs for the Prius. Getting them put on tomorrow for $103 each in 185/65-R15. Pricey perhaps, but sooo worth it. God the Integrities suck in the snow. Under 2 inches and I barely got up my hill without the traction control raining on the parade.

This will be my 4th set of Nokians, and I wouldn't drive a 2WD car in the winter without them. Plus, I got about 30k out of the Qs on the Jetta, and I even almost put them back on for another year after that.

I've had Qs and (now) RSIs on the Jetta and loved them. I can only assume that the R is yet another step up. To me, it looks like it's a mildly different tread pattern, but they know what they're doing for sure.

Finally, I've noticed that you really should rotate these every 5k or so. If you don't drive that much in a winter just make sure they get marked front to back, but you'll notice a difference in wear. Fronts will definitely wear faster.

J

6. markderail

markderail I do 45 mins @ 3200 PSI

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I use Yokohama's, starting on the third season this winter. Nothing bad to say, last year here in Quebec we had record snowfalls.
    Never got stuck (even tried to !).

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Had the RSi mounted on a friend's Camry. It is really quiet on dry pavement.