1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

snow tire wheels

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by priusmagic, Oct 24, 2016.

1. priusmagic

priusmagic Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have a 2013 Prius that for 3 seasons I've used a set of Corolla wheels and their matching lug nuts properly torqued with no discernible issues. I've read this is an acceptable wheel alternative and this was also confirmed by the dealership. My question is why does the Prius wheel have a cast iron flange that snuggly fits over the hub and is it safe to use a wheel that doesn't? I just have this gnawing feeling that I'm asking those studs and or hub to do something they were not designed to do.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Aftermarket rims will have oversized hub openings, and you should get adapter rings that fill the gap. As you're thinking: it's not good to rely on the studs alone to keep the wheel centred.

Anytime you order a wheel on TireRack for example, as long as you start the process by identifying your car, they'll suggest the adapter ring needed. Identifying your vehicle also ensures the wheel is within all the parameters, ie: bolt pattern offset, clearance and so on.

Fallen out-of-love with black steel rims?

priusmagic likes this.
  3. priusmagic

priusmagic Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the response.
    And I do like black.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You probably recall when steel rims were silver painted, got chromed acorn lug nuts and a tapped-on hub cap. The latter not a wheel cover: true to it's name, it was a cap for the central hub. Stamped and welded steel rims are relatively low weight, cheap, and looked half-decent. It was the finished product:

upload_2016-10-25_10-54-55.png

Now pretty much every steel rim is painted satin-black, and is not meant to see the light of day: instead they're intended to be hidden behind cosmetic plastic wheel covers that masquerade as alloy rims, and can rival them in cost, lol.

The Corolla steel rim hub opening is a snug fit btw, no adapter ring is needed.

#4 Mendel Leisk, Oct 25, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
    priusmagic likes this.
  5. priusmagic

priusmagic Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes these corolla rims fit nicely. My puzzlement is caused by the depth of the wheel material that surrounds the hubs. Yes I've seen the other posts thanks to the wonderful search engine; that's where I got the idea. Thanks again for ALL your postings. I'll be doing some brake preventive maintenance with a printed pdf of a brake manual before the cost of service adds at least a zero. I don't do this stuff enough to not rely on my old torque wrenches :)

Mendel Leisk likes this.