1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Snow Tires, best compromise between MPG and grip

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by terpsmandan, Oct 20, 2012.

1. terpsmandan

terpsmandan Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I am planning to get snow tires for my 2012 and I am wondering what you prefer. I have had Blizzak's but don't like the dry weather handling and ran Conti ExtremeWinterContact on the Jeep last winter and liked the handling on those. I have also heard good things about General Arctic Altimax as well. All opinions are appreciated. Thanks.

2. ForestBeekeeper

ForestBeekeeper Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Some time this month I will rotate to our studded winter tires.

We use Wanli 'Winter Challenger' studded tires. Their grip seems to be great, we have not experienced any slip from them. My wife and I both make at least one attempt to slide or spin-out on the first open patch of ice we see each year.

Our MPG drops in the winter. How much of that is due to the winter fuel mix or as others propose the added time it takes for the ICE to warm-up; I do not know. We experience 3 to 8 MPG decrease in our mileage in winter.

I do not think it is possible to maintain the same MPG summer and winter. You are going to see a drop.

Over-inflation / under-inflation will certainly have an effect. I do not think shifting from summer-tires to winter-tires has any noticeable effect on MPG.

3. terpsmandan

terpsmandan Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The Blizzaks feel like you are driving on marbles when you first put them on and though they are some of the best snow tires out there, I am checking around before I purchase. Thanks for the input.

4. Braddles.au

Braddles.au DEFAnitely using an EBH

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Auto Express magazine in the UK does very thorough tyre tests that are always worth reading. The tyres featured may not be available in all markets (and for some of them that would be a good thing) but it will give you a guide.
    Winter tyre test 2012 | Auto Express
    It seems that there are tyres that are good in snow but poor in the wet or dry.

5. terpsmandan

terpsmandan Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  6. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The X-Ice are LRR and seem to do very well for a studless tire.

7. SuperchargedMR2

SuperchargedMR2 Diehard Rams Fan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I just bought some winter wheels, Montegi SP10 15x7 +40mm offset with a set of Michelin 195/65R15 Ice-X 2 tires. I've had great luck with the Blizzack's before & never noticed the issues some have mentioned. I got this deal for all 4 tires & wheels for $520 after rebates!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  9. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have those same wheels on my car with the summer tires. They look sweet on the dark gray car w/ tinted windows. I have run Blizzaks for the past 3 winters, and have to agree that I haven't had any issues with them either. They aren't an LRR tire, but they do a heck of a job in snow. I'll probably switch to the X-Ice when the Blizzaks wear out, if I continue to swap to winter tires. They made a big difference over the Yokohama Avid S33's that were on the car originally, so I can only imagine they'd be worlds better than the Energy Saver A/S in winter as well.

10. SuperchargedMR2

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If you live in an area that temps are below 45F most of the winter than winter tires will provide much better traction in all conditions. In northern cold areas I think it should be mandatory to use these new winter tires. Too many idiots driving around in the snow that think an all-season tire is good in snow. :LOL:

F8L likes this.
  11. ForestBeekeeper

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Every winter we see a great many folks driving jacked-up pickups with all-season tires. As you drive along, whenever you see a pickup approaching from a driveway, you always want to slow down and give them room. Without fail, they punch-it, spin their rear tires but they do not move, so they floor it. Eventually they move out onto the road, and 100% of the time will fishtail, as they try to gain control of their vehicle. With much sliding around and often landing in the ditch. It is not very safe to be around those guys.

We will never drive in winter without studded winter tires.

12. terpsmandan

terpsmandan Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Those michelins look good and LRR as well. Looks like that is the direction to go.

13. ProximalSuns

ProximalSuns Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The studs are only for ice surface. The silica in the rubber on the new high tech snows is like sandpaper and great on ice while doing way better than the studded snows on wet and slush and equal on snow.

14. ForestBeekeeper

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I can see that.

When it warms up enough to have 'wet' or slush winter is mostly over.

I may shift of the silica tires when this set wears out, thanks.

Studded tires are fantastic for winter driving. :)

15. ProximalSuns

ProximalSuns Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Maybe in Alaska where it stays frozen...most ski resorts I go to in US West we see the deep snow to slush to the slush freezing at night and then big differences as one goes up to and down from the mountains through all the micro climates.

And then the rest of the week its cruising on dry to wet streets.

The new super tech snows are the best ever...better than studded.

16. ForestBeekeeper

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Most towns in this state do not use salt on roads. So pavement has a layer of packed soft on it most of the winter. We get down to the pavement again as it warms up again. We go through a brief period of slush at the beginning of winter, and again at the end.

I used to live in Washington state. I do not recall seeing much -F temps there, unlike here. You do not get many river freezing over to allow traffic to cross on them in Washington either, not like we see here.

If silica tires are any better, I may try them when these tires wear-out. For now studded tires are fantastic.

17. SuperchargedMR2

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I hate studded snow tires, they are so 20th century. :LOL: They are terrible on dry & wet roads & are noisy as hell. The newer gen of studless snow tires are better in every way & also don't damage the road surface. IMO studded snow tires should be banned as they cause millions of dollars of damage to roads every year.

ProximalSuns likes this.
  18. ForestBeekeeper

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I am not aware of any 'road damage' unless they touch pavement.

I can see where areas that do not experience 4-seasons probably have no need for a winter tire. I think many states outlaw studs on that basis, there is no need for them, because those states simply do not experience a cold winter.

From what they tell us around here, UV damage to petroleum-based pavement far exceeds any damage from studded tires.

When I need a new set of winter tires, I will ask if our tire outlets carry silica tires. If they do and if they are comparably priced I may shift. Studded tires are very popular here because they perform so well. :)

19. terpsmandan

terpsmandan Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Current snow tires are much better on ice than the snow tires our parents used to get. I had a set of Blizzak's on a Miata and after driving through an icy parking lot for the first time with them. I slipped and fell in the same lot because I didn't realize how icy it was because of the grippiness of the snow tires.

keepithd2010 and ForestBeekeeper like this.
  20. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Check it out. :)

Older test from back in 2007. It's only gotten better!
    Tire Test Results : Technological or Traditional Traction For Ice and Packed Snow?

Other related tests

ForestBeekeeper likes this.