1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Snow Tires for Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by prius2008, Nov 26, 2007.

1. prius2008

prius2008 New Member

I just have my 2008 Prius 2 days ago, is a great car !!!

Do I need snow tires for this car even is front wheel drive ? If yes, 4 instead of 2 ?

How well Prius preform in snow condition ? There is not too much snow in Vancouver, B.C. Canada at all.
    May be couple times per year.

How many miles or km until the car broken in and get better gas milage ?

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not for Vancouver unless you plan on skiing at the local mountains or driving up to Whistler. The stock tyres are good for the first 2 winters. After that, start planning on getting new tyres or dedicated snows. (or since the car is new, swap them for better tyres!)

If you get winter tyres, ALWAYS mount 4 tyres. Putting two snow tyres on is like putting on only one ski or one skate. You'll upset the balance of the car.

It performs decently well. I would suggest going to an empty parking lot to try out the VSC and see how it works. It does allow a bit of oversteer before it corrects (at one point, I almost got it to spin out near QE Park but just when I thought it was gone, it got me back in line).

technically? 1,600kms but that doesn't happen lol.

Every summer I've gotten better and better mileage so really it just keeps on improving as the car AND you the driver break-in and learn the techniques for maximising mileage on this car. This past summer was the FIRST time I ever matched Transport Canada's 4.0L/100km city rating (did that 3 times) and I even matched the old EPA's rating of 60mpg US (3.9L/100km) once. My car's already 3 years old and has 67,800kms.

to sum it up: be patient!

3. lessmognh

lessmognh Love my Prius!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    What tires do you recommend?

4. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm currently using Nokian WRs. They got me through the deep, loose snow and now the slush we call the west coast winter lol. They're certified winter all-season tyres (does that make sense?)

If your area gets a good dump of snow every year, then I'd recommend getting dedicated winter tyres. We're using Nokian RSi up in Edmonton; those are dedicated winters. Other good winter tyres also include the Bridgestone Blizzak line (not sure what's the latest model) and the Michelin X-ice 2 (or whatever the 2nd generation x-ice tyre is called).

5. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The factory studded Nokian "5" series winter tires are exceptional for winter traction. As Jon stated, if you live in an area that has real winter conditions, you *should* use real winter tires. Vancouver and area is receiving unusual winter weather, a good set of all-seasons should work there

Another good choice for winter tires, and far cheaper too, is the Goodyear Nordic from Canadian Tire. This is the same as the Goodyear Ultra Grip 500 sold in Europe, which is a well respected winter tire. I have a set on my Prius, studded, and they work well in snow and on glare ice. Noisy on dry pavement, but the superior winter traction is worth it

Another good winter tire from Canadian Tire is the General Altimax Arctic, which also accepts studs.

Regarding studded tires, I have tried various studless winter tires, and they offer nowhere near the glare ice traction that a good studded tire does. My FJ Cruiser runs Toyo Open Country G-02 Plus studless winter tires, which are kind of pricey.

Great in snow, but only a bit better than the "all season" tires on ice. My Prius has a clear advantage on glare ice.

I tried to order factory studded Nokian Hakkapeliitta 5 Sport Utility but due to the new winter tire law in Quebec, I was SOL. I'm on the wait list for those tires, for next year.

6. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You'd think so, wouldn't you Jay? (re: good AS). The moment it snowed, we see all the fullsize SUVs come out of hibernation. I've never seen so many Tahoes and Suburbans since a VIP trudged through the city lol

7. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    For sure, if I lived in Vancouver, I'd just run a decent set of all-seasons. Unless I regularly went out to Whistler or took the Coq Connector

When my Aunt first arrived here, she was complaining about the cold. Watching the news, all that snow and miserable weather out your way, she's pretty happy now to be here instead of in PoCo

8. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    lol. The snow's still around even though it rained (and actually some snow fell today but I think it melted on the spot). It was really windy though.

9. Husker4theSpurs

Husker4theSpurs Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I purchase snow tires for my 1st winter with the Prius and am very glad I did! It's been tough going here and there even with the snow tires. I have the Touring and picked up the Michelin Alpins from tirerack.com.

10. AlaskanPrius

AlaskanPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Alot of it comes down the level of risk you're willing to accept. Some folks feel fine driving a vehicle with M+S rated tires whereas others use winter tires. Some folks go their entire lives driving M+S and never have an incident whereas the one poor guy that buys a new car wrecks it on the way home because he hit a patch of ice.

For me, I purchased a set of Sam's Club studded tires made by Kelly (they're legal here in Alaska) to drive during the winter because my tolerance for risk is very low. And for us, it's paid off as we've never wrecked a car in 22 years of marriage. In addition, it gives us the added maneuverabily we wouldn't normally get with a regular set of M+S tires.

Now, with that said, if I were in Vancouver, I'd be hard pressed to purchase a set but it would also depend upon the winter and how I was driving the vehicle. If it was my commuter and I HAD to be at work and it was a bad winter, I'd buy a set and plan on them lasting a long time as you may not have to run them every winter. Then again, keep in mind it's not just your driving affected by tires but the fool closing in on you with the big 4WD truck that thinks he's untouchable - until he slams into you. Thus, it's a crap shoot but for me I'll take the extra margin of safety.

By the way, I was raised for a time in central Nebraska (Broken Bow) and saw a few winters where snow tires should have been a requirement so I can fully appreciate Husker4thSpurs comments. They're cheap insurance and alot cheaper than a deductible.

11. Road Fan

Road Fan One-Prius,one Audi,7-bike Family

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Here in SE Michigan I'd have had big trouble last week if I hadn't got new snows. I got Michelin Primacy Alpin P3 in 205/55/16, and they are super. My Potenzas were real low on ttread and couldn't transmit much force before starting to spin, and hence getting limited by VSC. With the new snows the tires hook up much better and it accelerates a lot better before VSC kicks in. Better directional stability, too.

Recommend good snow tires!

12. nbali04

nbali04 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    We put Michelin X-Radials (all-season) on our Prius in October. We only had 2700 miles on the Integrities but I knew they were junk because the same tire came on my Corolla a few years back. The X-Radials have gotten us through a number of snow storms in Minneapolis (as much as 6" of snow) without issue. They sell them at Costco and sometimes you can get a good deal with $60 off. They also have low rolling resistance which will help you continue to get good mileage (after the new tire break-in period).

13. kbeaner

kbeaner Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hakkapalitta 5 studded snow tires are AWESOME. After spending much of my first Vermont winter at the bottom of the driveway because my 06 Prius couldn't make it up the hill, I was determined to stop that trend. Hak 5's to the rescue! They turned my Prius into a little SUV. The only trouble I've had is on deep fresh snow on a steep incline, where it feels like the snow is deep enough that the studs can't make it through to get any grip. Otherwise, these tires are incredible. I really feel like I can drive anywhere in the winter now!

14. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I agree. I'm on a wait list for the same tire for my FJ

15. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium

+1