1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Snow tires on freezing rain roads

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by stanleyjohn, Jan 12, 2007.

1. stanleyjohn

stanleyjohn New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This warm spell is finnally going to end (snow lover)!but we may have to pay the price with some freezing rain.I bought michelin x-ice tires this year and wondering what i will expect on roads of ice?.I have heard many views on snow,but few on ice.

2. jtullos

jtullos New Member

I can't say specifically for the X-Ice, but the HydroEdges handle decently on ice. Far better than the Integrities did. And if you have problems, consider getting some chains. I don't know about Connecticut law, but here in Nevada, we get roads restricted to vehicles with snow rated tires or chains somewhat frequently in winter. And just on the other side of the mountains, California requires chain for all but 4-wheel drive vehicles in bad conditions.

3. MSantos

MSantos EcoAccelerometry

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(stanlwyjohn @ Jan 12 2007, 04:32 PM) [snapback]374883[/snapback]</div>
    The Michelins X-ICE are some of the best tires you can buy for snow or ice conditions. They are my preferred brand. My cars all have them for winter driving. :)

Cheers;

MSantos

4. barbaram

barbaram Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    ice is ice
    no promises or guarantees
    let the driver beware!

5. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(barbaram @ Jan 12 2007, 08:13 PM) [snapback]375042[/snapback]</div>
    And wet ice is the worst.

Dave M.

6. jburns

jburns Senior Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dmckinstry @ Jan 12 2007, 11:38 PM) [snapback]375054[/snapback]</div>
    Snow---fight your way through.

Freezing Rain----find a motel with a bar.

7. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My recommendation is not to expect anything from any tire during an ice storm. Your only hope on wet ice is a set of studded snows, which still don't give you any guarantees. Best bet is to stay home this time around.

Driving in an ice storm is your worst case winter scenario. Been there, done that, didn't like it!

8. narf

narf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I've used Blizzak studless ice tires for years, both on the street and at local ice autocrosses on frozen lakes. My lap times often beat the entire studded class. Obviously nothing provides dry pavement-like traction on ice, but Blizzaks are amazing. They corner and brake better on ice than studs, and their acceleration is close to as good as studs. They're pretty damn good on snow too. (I wish they'd sponsor me, I'm sure I've sold a few sets for them over the years).

9. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(narf @ Jan 13 2007, 12:17 PM) [snapback]375165[/snapback]</div>
    I used Blizzak's on a 1992 Honda Prelude in Utah, and they worked well. They're just a poor value as you only have half a winter tire. Even Bridgestone admits this.

With the brief freezing rain we had before the cold snap, my studded Goodyear Nordics worked just fine. Only problem was I kept up higher speeds, and drivers behind me thought it was safe to do so. First sharp corner and they slid into snowbanks, thinking "Wth!?!"