1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Snow tires/steels no TPMS insurance risk?

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by wagonwheel, Jan 28, 2017.

1. wagonwheel

wagonwheel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I recently moved to Michigan from the land of no-winters and ordered a set of Blizzaks and steel wheels for my wife's 14 Prius v. They said they wouldn't install them on the car but would hand them over to me but I'd be running a hefty risk: Essentially that our insurance company wouldn't cover any claim while running the non-TPMS equipped snow tires. He suggested I buy a set online for cheaper than they can sell them to be covered.

Is he wrong about the insurance issue? I've never heard of that; as far as I know folks run steel wheels and no sensors all the time. Would ordering that TPMS set require that I then pay to have the system reprogrammed every time I switch the wheels?

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Not sure; would hope not. Move to Canada, lol?

I suspect the main issue is not your insurance, just that he could be procecuted, if he installs them on your (TPMS equipped) car. If he's fine with mounting and handing them over to you, I'd jump on that. If you're not setup to easily do tire swaps yourself, it is a frustrating imposition, though.

Here's something:

Having winter tires installed just got more complicated

Does it not seem strange, that TPMS will discourage people from getting safe winter tires?

I think what it's gonna take is amendment to the TPMS rules: to say that manufacturers have to come up systems that are conducive to tire replacement or swapping.

#2 Mendel Leisk, Jan 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
  3. Offline

Offline Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Who are "They"? I doubt that an insurance company would care.

I could understand a tire company not wanting to install wheels/tires without TPMS since TPMS has been required on vehicles for about the past 10 years.

I'd return the steel wheels if you can and get a set of refurbished OEM 16" Prius wheels and get some eBay center caps for them:
    aluminum-16x65-wheel-rim-69600

The 16" steel wheels I bought from Tire Rack to use with Blizzak WS70 tires are a PITA, don't fit well, require different lug nuts and the wheel covers that came with them break easily and don't fit well either. You didn't say what winter wheel/tire size you bought but I put 16" wheels/Bizzaks on our 2012 Prius v Five instead of 17".

TPMS sensors are pretty cheap. I bought an ATEQ Quickset handheld programming tool to program in TPMS ID's on our vehicles when I do the twice-per-year changeover. The Quickset is about $150 and is easy to use.

The Carista smartphone app can also be used to upload TPMS codes into vehicle ECU through a Bluetooth receiver/cable that attaches to the diagnostic port under the dash.

4. wagonwheel

wagonwheel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Most everyone I've spoken to runs winter sets without TPMS and they say he's mistaken. I just told the shop to go ahead and mount the set and I'll be by to pick them up.

5. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    You can get aftermarket TPMS sensors for about $30 a piece and have your existing sensors cloned. This will allow the snow tires to directly replace your normal tires with no additional setup in the car ecu. You can then go back and forth at will. See my post #36 in this recent thread:
    TPMS Reminder - Batteries don't last forever | Page 2 | PriusChat

6. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    What about a non-TPMS equipped donut spare? Sounds more like a liability issue for the installer rather than an insurance issue.

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    For the v I believe there's a Camry steel rim that's 100% compatible. I'm using a Corolla rim on our regular Prius. The hub openings are correct, and dealership had compatible lug nuts. The OEM lug nuts also have the correct seat at the end for these steel rims, but look odd with the washer (for OEM alloys).