1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Snow tires

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Jan 2, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Jan 2

Jan 2 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The only bad thing I've ever heard about the Prius is that it doesn't handle well in the snow. Can anyone give me advice about this? What kind of snow tires work best & should they be on all 4 or just front wheels? I'm in the Rockies. Thanks.

2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I use General Arctic Altimax. The best snow tires ever. They are also studded. Up here I wouldn't leave home without em, in any vehicle.

I waited really late one winter to put em on and was driving on the ice with the OEM Yokos, and I was pleased just how well the prius did,,, just about like any other FWD vehicle I have owned.

3. Jan 2

Jan 2 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Thanks. I'm guessing you have more snow & colder conditions than we generally do. Anyone from the Rockies have experience?

4. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Michelin XiCE Xi2 or Xi3 rated very high and you can get the Michelin $70 rebate. They are low rolling resistance rated as well.

5. Spokanepriusgrl

Spokanepriusgrl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I live in NE Washington, and I used Gislaveds on my 02 Mercedes. They worked really well. The traction on snow and ice was fabulous, but they were not studded, if that's what you are looking for. Now that I have a Prius, I am thinking about what kind to buy. I've had a 4X4 SUV for the last 5 years since trading in the Mercedes, so snow tires were a non-issue. I asked the sales guy what he does with his Prius in the winter, and he said he just had the OEM tires siped, and if it's really bad, he uses an SUV or heeds law enforcement advice and doesn't drive in the weather.