1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Snow Tires

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by scottynettles, Dec 12, 2007.

1. scottynettles

scottynettles New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Does anyone run and have opinions on the Nokian Nordman ($84) Cooper ST2 ($77) Nokian Hakk2 ($91) or Blizzak WS-60 ($102); and does anyone run studs ($17 / tire)?

Tx, /Scott

2. prim2

prim2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Have you looked at Nokian WRs? I'm running on them. So far, the Prius/WR combo is one of the best snow/ice machines I've driven.

3. ad78

ad78 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    blizzak ws60 only cost $85 in townfair, i recommend toyo observe G02 plus.

they are the best

4. craigk

craigk Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'm using Nokian Hakkapeliitta RSi's, about $90 each, GREAT snow performance. Will definitely look at Nokian all seasons when my Integrity tires need changing.

5. Doc Willie

Doc Willie Shuttlecraft Commander

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Having read upteen tire threads, the one thing that emerges is that brand does not matter as much as buying top-of-the-line. Almost everything recommended here, both winter and all-season are pretty much top of the line - Goodyears, Michelins, Contis, Toyo, Bridgestone, etc. There is the occasional bargain reported (I forget which one someone recommended, but I could not find it in stock anywhere), but mostly the top shelf rules.

The Toyo Observes stand out for me because of the crushed walnut shell formulation, and the head to head comparison someone posted in another thread. I have not tried them. Thus, that could be all hype, so I stand by my first statement.

6. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Big O sold us our 4 studded tires. Generic.

7. ad78

ad78 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
  8. SureValla

SureValla Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    im very ignorant on snow tires but would like to learn so bear with me

what is the negative effect of driving snow tires on regular roads? i hear they wear sooner but how much ?

9. georgekessel

georgekessel Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Michelin X-Ice on mine - grip like the dickens!

10. onerpm

onerpm New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I run the previous blizzak version (ws-50) and love them. that doesn't help you much, though. tirerack.com has good snow tire comparison tests; not sure how up to date they are, but they are objective.

11. Doc Willie

Doc Willie Shuttlecraft Commander

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    1. Noisier
    2. Higher rolling resistance --> lower MPG
    3. Less rubber on the road = less grip on wet roads and marginal conditions

12. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    There are two kinds of "snow tires".

Dedicated snow/ice tires have very soft rubber that will heat up rapidly and wear fast on dry roads. Less so on dry roads in very cold weather (-0F and below). Because the rubber is so soft they tend to squirm (which is what causes most of the heating) and you can feel that in the handling of the car. They will wear out in one season (three months) if you drive them on dry roads in "warmer" conditions (such as where you will find liquid H2O around).

"All season" tires are a generic name given to marginally snow capable tires. Recently within this category however, you can find tires that perform well in snow and on ice. The Nokian WR is one (latest version of this is the WR G2). It has the snowflake symbol on the sidewall indicating chains are not required when posted on highways. These tires will not wear rapidly on dry warm roads. They also don't squirm. I've used them on the anti-Prius (2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE) and they worked very well. I currently use them on my new Prius (I threw away the new Goodyear Integrities that came with the car). They work very well on this car as well. We also use them on a Mazda RX-8 and they work very well there too.

You -can- get better traction with tires such as the Hakka RSi, especially if you get the ones with studs in them. Again, the downside is they wear rapidly on dry roads and they are noisy and ride rough.

13. alvinator

alvinator Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I'm running on a new set of Nokian Hakkapeliitta Q's which have been replaced by newer versions like the RSI, etc. Look at the Nokian website. Traction and handling are awesome in the snow and ice. Highly recommended.

14. bdolliab

bdolliab New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I just put the Nokian WR G2's on my Prius yesterday and am happy with the improved traction so far. I've used those tires year round for 4 years on my other cars (AWD Audi's) and they work great. For me the big benefit is great winter traction without having to store a bunch of extra tires in the garage.

15. jeffkprius01

jeffkprius01 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'm running Blizzak WS-60's this winter, and absolutly LOVE THEM. We have had a lot of snow this winter (so far) in Michigan.