1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Snowshoeing

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by daniel, Jan 20, 2008.

1. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'm home from my trip to Canada. Mountain Trek (www.hiking.com) is a "boot camp"-style weight-loss spa. Hiking in the mountains in summer, snowshoeing for 3 weeks in winter, and 1,200 calories per day of very good food. (Or 900 calories if you want to make it more extreme.) Also a gym for additional calorie burning, and a sauna and hot tub for after.

I only lost 9 pounds in 3 weeks, but at home I'd probably have gained a pound during that time.

It was great fun. The limited amount of food was hard, but the snowshoeing was mostly great. There were a few days when my toes got very cold, as I was wearing summer boots. (I don't have winter boots.) And there were days when the snow conditions made the going difficult. And my hands were very cold whenever I had to take my mittens off. But I got to break trail a lot because few others wanted to. That is very hard work, but I enjoyed it.

It's going to be different for me here on PC, now that I've resolved not to feed the trolls. :D

Attached Files:

2. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    P.S. I didn't take my camera along. The attached photos were taken by another person and posted on kodak-dot-com.

3. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Read "Good Calories, Bad Calories". Great book. What was the structure of the diet? Calories ain't calories. I'm curious after changing my diet recently.

Luv the pics, BTW. I've only snowshoed a couple of times, but it's loads of fun. The quiet of the snow blanketed alpine forest is great.

4. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    beautiful sights- how i miss real snow.

welcome back!

5. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The diet was a bit odd, due to some unconventional beliefs of the nutritionist. He believes (and I disagree) that it's important to eat most of your carbs early in the day and eat more protein and fat and less carbs than I think is ideal. So in my view there's too much fat and not enough carbohydrates.

All meals are high in protein. All food is organic or natural. Mostly whole foods. Breakfast has most of the carbs for the day. They used to give no carbs at supper, but now they include some. People who eat eggs are offered an egg at breakfast several times a week (formerly every day). I normally eat a lot of vegetables, so to my taste there's not enough veggies.

But the diet is basically balanced, natural, and delicious, as they have excellent cooks. Three meals a day plus a mid-morning and mid-afternoon snack, typically nuts or cheese or occasionally an apple. And a protein shake first thing in the morning, consisting of fruit and tofu.

Total calories for the day is 1,200 or 900 if you request the more severe version, though in winter they won't give men the 900.

They serve beef or venison occasionally for those who eat meat, and chicken more often. They serve fish often for those who eat it. Vegetarians get a lot of tofu. Everyone gets a lot of beans unless you request not to. They accommodate all special dietary restrictions, so anything you don't like can be substituted with something else. One woman once refused to eat anything that was small and round (peas, corn, etc.) and they accommodated that.

I've heard the theories that distinguish between different kinds of calories, but I think that's all balderdash. A calorie is a unit of energy. If you eat more than you burn the excess will be stored as fat. If you burn more than you eat the deficit will be made up by burning fat. At Mountain Trek you burn a lot of calories because the exercise is intense, and they provide the opportunity to burn even more by leaving the gym open 24 hours a day. But I mostly go there for the hiking, because British Columbia is the most beautiful country I've ever seen.

I have a Google Earth KMZ file to the place, but I don't know how to attach it as a file, since the new board seems to only accept doc, pdf, or image files. However if you put "Ainsworth, BC" into Google Earth you'll get there. The resolution is not good enough to see the lodge.

6. robincx

robincx "Fear is the mind killer"

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Looks great, love the pics!

7. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Some more pics, just received from another of the participants:

The first week's group.

Ron tries to slide down a hill, falls, and can't get up because the snow is too deep and soft.

Looking back at the trail we broke.

Eating lunch in the snow.

Attached Files:

8. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome back, Daniel. I'm glad you're helping to keep the local tour operators in business. What are the chances you'll splurge on some winter boots next time out? ;)
    Going back to your comments on diet, I think fat intake can be adjusted to climate. Northern peoples, traditionally, have eaten shockingly high proportions of fat, yet it seems to burn off quickly in the cold. Farley Mowat astutely observed that he couldn't get warm in the winter until he adopted the local clothing and diet. Less 'antifreeze' probably helped, but he didn't specify that part. :rolleyes:

9. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Ainsworth, BC, is not cold enough to require a lot of fat in the diet. Farley Mowat spent time with the native peoples of the far north. Very different conditions. At Ainsworth it was mostly just a little below zero Celsius outside, and very nice and warm inside, with a roaring fire for ambiance. Much warmer, for the 20 hours a day we were not snowshoeing, than an igloo.

If I go back to Mountain Trek for snowshoeing in winter again, you can bet I'll have winter boots. However, if I need to lose weight next winter I'm more likely to go to their Costa Rica location. And starting this fall they'll have a program in North Carolina, where I've never been. Neither place will be cold enough for winter boots.

10. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    We also did some snowshoeing in Canada over the Christmas break. Most of ours was to get back to where the ground gets a bit steeper. Note that in this photo the snowshoes have been replaced with crampons.

Tom

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

11. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nothing personal, guys, but skiing looks like way more fun to me. :D

12. timm

timm Medical Transport Driver

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Here are some pics of my boys and me enjoying our "back yard". The Spring Green Nature Conservancy is a great place to explore on snowshoes. Anyone who has an interest in coming out here, send me a message and we'll make arrangements!

Attached Files:

13. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Very different kind of sport. I've never heard of anyone breaking their legs while snowshoeing, whereas it seems awfully common with skiing. Also, skiing is pretty much limited to trails and open areas, due to the length of skis, whereas snowshoes can take you pretty much anywhere there's snow. We spent some time bushwacking through forest where there were no trails and skis would have been impossible. You can get a good workout with either sport (especially if you climb up on your skis before sliding down) but Mountain Trek uses snowshoeing for exercise because you can learn to walk on snowshoes in 5 minutes, and become proficient in 15 minutes. Skiing requires many hours of lessons to learn, and years to become proficient.

I don't doubt that skiing is fun, if you like speed and thrills. But it's very dangerous if you are not well trained, and proper training takes a long time. A person who's never been on snowshoes in his/her life can go out and enjoy the sport the first day.

14. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    *sniff sniff*

reminds me of HOME... [​IMG]

15. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

I grew up in snow country, loved the winters most especially all those fun winter sports, even spent a winter in a tee pee in Montana once. But after 30 years in coastal CA even San Francisco seems too cold. Visiting the Sierra snow is a treat, but my next move will be to join Koa in the 50th state. Something about swimming in the warm ocean with palm trees waving in the foreground looking up at snow covered Mauna Loa and Mauna Kea is in my future while living in the present and remembering the past.

16. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    San Francisco is cold. But I found Hawaii to be vastly over-rated. (Admittedly, I was only on the Big Island, except to change planes.)