1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

snowtires and steelwheels

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by stanleyjohn, Oct 3, 2006.

1. stanleyjohn

stanleyjohn New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Im planning on getting some snowtires for the winter months on my 2006 prius.I been hearing about snowtires on steel wheels and was wondering its advantage?I really dont know much about steel wheels.Was planning on getting the tires and fitting them on the prius stock rims,then in the spring putting the all seasons back on.Any info of advantages or disavanages of what im planning to do would be a help!Thanks

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The advantage is that you don't get your alloys exposed to salt and sand and that you can leave the winter tyres on a separate rim which minimises wear on the tyre. All you do is change the rims rather than removing the tyre from its rim.

3. stanleyjohn

stanleyjohn New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks Tideland! Sounds good! extra $$$ but wont have to worry about installer breaking those expensive tire pressure sensors.I guess tape over senor light will be needed to avoid constant blinking. :)

4. theorist

theorist Member

If you don't mind ignoring or covering the TPMS light, steel wheels may save you money on seasonal changes. Look around and you might find that dismounting one set of tires to mount and then balance another set may cost you $40 to $60. I don't know how much a shop might charge you to swap tires on their own rims -- I do that myself in less than a half hour. At that rate, the tire change savings can pay for the steel wheels within two years.

On top of that, I can switch between winter and 3 season tires whenever I want and as often as I like, in case there's an unexpectedly early or late blizzard or a predicted long warm spell in January.

One exception is if you buy your winter and 3 season tires at a place like Costco that will do seasonal tire changes for free, even without steel wheels. Their Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S and X-Ice would make a great year-round duo, if purchased during their $60 off a set sales.

5. stanleyjohn

stanleyjohn New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Ok! looks like im going to get the Michelin X-Ice on steel rims.Tire rack seems to have the best deal that i can see.I do have a question! How long a life span can i expect from this type of tire?.Any comments on how many miles you got from your snowtires before tred wasnt good anymore.

6. c4

c4 Active Member

Most snow tires do not have a tread life rating on them.. Generally, in ice, snow and damp pavement, they don't wear very much, being lubricated by all the water, however if you put them on too early or keep them on late and start driving too much on dry pavement, you can put some severe wear on the tire.. Typically most drivers should expect that the tires will last at least 4-5 seasons, and then they'll need replacement, generally not because the tread is worn out, but because the soft rubber compound may have hardened during that time, degrading the winter performance- therefore it's important to store your tires properly in the off-season. Most tire retailers will provide tire bags for storing tires- do not throw these out, keep them and use them for storing your tires out of direct sun and heat to maximize your tire life.

7. stanleyjohn

stanleyjohn New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I know that steel wheels are not as pretty as the alloys!so planning on getting covers for them.Does anyone know if the covers on the stock wheels would fit onto the 15" steel wheels?This would save me a few $$ of ordering new ones.

8. onerpm

onerpm New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(stanlwyjohn @ Oct 11 2006, 08:21 PM) [snapback]331484[/snapback]</div>
    do you mean the trim rings? even if they would pop onto a steel wheel, which I doubt, you'd still see most of the (inside part) steel wheel exposed. maybe I'm missing something?

rpm

9. stanleyjohn

stanleyjohn New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Nope onerpm! :lol: Your correct on your statement.I will get a set of 4 covers from tirerack (around $40).One thing i seem to be missing is a way to order them from tirerack.I found the prices!but dosnt seem a way to put them into my shopping basket with the tire/wheel package. :unsure:

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oddly enough, if you had a Touring edition, you could use the plastic cover from the stock rim :lol:

11. onerpm

onerpm New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(stanlwyjohn @ Oct 12 2006, 02:41 PM) [snapback]331874[/snapback]</div>
    you might check your local Target/Walmarts... I think they are cheaper than Tirerack, and you won't have to pay shipping (although you will have sales tax).

rob

12. deh2k

deh2k New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    If you get steel wheels put on, don't forget to keep 5 of the original lug nuts in your car. The nuts for the steel wheels are usually a different style from the ones used on the spare.

13. stanleyjohn

stanleyjohn New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks for all the good info all! Well i ordered my snowtires and wheels from tirerack today. Ordered 4 Michelin X-Ice tires ($292),4 steel rims ($168) and 4 steel rim covers ($30).With shipping total came to $566.74.This is the first time i have ever bought snow tires for any of my cars!Hope it was worth it :rolleyes:

14. deh2k

deh2k New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(stanlwyjohn @ Oct 12 2006, 08:18 PM) [snapback]332031[/snapback]</div>
    The Prius really likes to have snow tires for snowy driving. The hybrid drive system, which handles braking as well as accelleration, is pretty sensitive to tire slippage.

And don't forget, not only will the tires make you safer, they reduce the wear on your other set of tires which should offset some of the cost.

15. msnancy61

msnancy61 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(deh2k @ Oct 13 2006, 12:39 PM) [snapback]332353[/snapback]</div>
    Hi.. wondering if the Michelin HydroEdge will act enough like a snow tire for New England winters, or if I truly need snows. Also, is it realistic to expect that my car will start on sub zero mornings??
    Thanks

16. stanleyjohn

stanleyjohn New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hello Ms Nancy! THis is the first time i ever used a snowtire.Allways used all seasons before but got alittle worried with the prius.I have read that if the wheels start to spin and slip in the snow or ice!the prius might shut down.Its a safety feature to protect the electric motor from possibly burning up.Good winter snow/ice tires hopefully will prevent this from happening.It dosnt seem to happen alot from what ive heard on pc!but im not takeing any chances.

17. msnancy61

msnancy61 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(stanlwyjohn @ Oct 13 2006, 09:08 PM) [snapback]332566[/snapback]</div>
    Hi Stan! Wondering if you ever replaced your integrity OEMs? Here's my issue.. I need to be somewhat cost concious, but absolutely need safety. I do ski and it snows a considerable amount up here.. above the 84 line! I really dislike the Integrities that came with the car.. have had too many encounters skidding, being blown around, so I need to have a good all-around tire. However, can one tire.. Michelin MXV4 or Hydroedge be all things at once? Are there less expensive snow tires? Who puts the tires on if you have them shipped to your house? As always, you are a great source of information for me.. thanks.. :D

18. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(msnancy61 @ Oct 15 2006, 10:18 AM) [snapback]332964[/snapback]</div>
    The MXV4+ is just fair on snow (I have 25,000 miles on mine. They are better than the OEM Integrity tires in all ways, including snow) and the Hydroedge is supposed to be a little better than the MXV4+ in snow and wet, but I'm not sure about wet - it may just be marketing.

Take a look at the Nokian Snows (Hakkapeliitta RSi - pure winter tire or their WR - also good dry) as an alternantive to the x-ice (Michelin) if you can find them, both are available in 185/65R15 size.

JeffD

19. stanleyjohn

stanleyjohn New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hello Nancy :) I still use the OEMs on my car!They have preformed ok for me so far.But for winter i dont think so! so snowtires will be used.The two allseason tires you mention are much better than the OEMs.The Hydroedge has better reviews and seems like it will do a fairly good job on snow and ice.It wont beat a snow tire but looks like a good choice for an all season tire.I bought a winter tire and rim special from tirerack.com.They will balance them for me so i just need to install them when i get them.Its more $$$ this way but ill save in the long run by not having a tire place swap tires on rims and balanceing.Tirerack is very popular here on pc! also good prices.You may try a place like townfair around here!but i didnt see the tires i wanted on their website!dont mean they dont have them though.I would stay away from the dealerships!They charge more for tires.Good luck! I know how you feel!This will be my first winter with this car. Chow!!! PS if you do decide on getting allseasons!let me know how they workout!i will be looking for some to relace the OEMs in the spring.

20. deh2k

deh2k New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(msnancy61 @ Oct 13 2006, 09:41 PM) [snapback]332554[/snapback]</div>
    No all season tire will work on snow and ice as well as real snow tires will. Will HydroEdges be good enough? That depends on many factors, so I really can't say. While the HSD is somewhat sensitive to slippage,, the fundamental issues of the Prius in slippery conditions are not terribly different from other FWD cars, in my opinion.

I can tell you that the Prius starts up great in the cold. Outside overnight in -20F is no problem. You have the biggest starter motor and battery in town! The cabin may not warm up as fast as some other cars you're used to that generate more waste heat. It's still way better than my old VW bus was (oh, the stories I could tell...)