1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Snowy road handling

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by syscon, Feb 27, 2012.

1. syscon

syscon Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Finally we got some snow in Alberta :-/

Prius v (with stock tires) seems to me is much better in handling slow/icy road than my old 740 Volvo (rear wheel driver - all season tires).
    On a slippery intersections the tires don't slip and grip is good.
    On my old 740 Volvo rear tires are spinning and I'm standing still (going nowhere :-/) slowing down traffic.

2. Wanderer

Wanderer Hybrid neophyte

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Syscon, I know what you mean. My Mercedes 190 (long ago sold) was miserable. I think most FWD cars will out perform these older RWD cars in the snow. We had some snow over the weekend too and went for a drive. It seemed to truck along no worse than any other light FWD car we have had. It rates slightly better than the Civic it replaced. We are also on the stock all season tires.

The only thing I noticed was hitting a snow/ice ball that came off the bottom of another vehicle is quite noisy. It startled me the first time but hard to miss in traffic. W

3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just remember that it isn't fair to compare fresh new all season tires to worn old all season tires. It doesn't take long for wear to turn 'all season' tires into effectively 'three season' tires.

4. Wanderer

Wanderer Hybrid neophyte

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    So true fuzzy1. I have plans for snow tires before next winter. It's been an oddly mild winter so I'm pushing it off until then. Of course I say that and we'll get slammed in March. =o. W