1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

So are these republicans for the terrorists?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by burritos, Sep 15, 2006.

1. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    "You're either with us or with the terrorists."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060915/ap_on_go_pr_wh/bush_21

"When conservative military men like John McCain, John Warner, Lindsey Graham and Colin Powell stand up to the president, it shows how wrong and isolated the White House is," said Sen. Charles Schumer (news, bio, voting record), D-N.Y. "These military men are telling the president that in the war on terror you need to be both strong and smart, and it is about time he heeded their admonitions."

According to the new neocon logic these deserter must be fore the terrorists, cause they ain't for Bushie!

2. Prius Maximus

Prius Maximus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    No, they are still the same republicans, following the same republican platform. Remember it's 2 months to elections. They all have to separate themselves from Liar #1. Then after elections, it'll be back to the usual follow the leader and party before country crud.

3. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Sep 15 2006, 08:15 PM) [snapback]320312[/snapback]</div>
    Do you understand the crux of the discussion that is ongoing? Specifically Article III in the Geneva Convention and what it relates to.

4. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    In the war on terror, wouldn't medication be more appropriate? After all, we're fighting an emotion and emotions are chemical actions and reactions in the human brain.

Now, on the other hand, if we were actually fighting terrorism - that is, the practice of invoking terror in your opponent - then we should employ weapons and intelligence.

All dry joking aside, the more often people use the word "terror" the more terror is created.
    In that case, politicians are not fighting terror but actually creating it.

5. Alric

Alric New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Sep 18 2006, 07:56 AM) [snapback]321084[/snapback]</div>
    Yes. I wish Bush and Co. did as well.

6. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alric @ Sep 18 2006, 09:36 AM) [snapback]321095[/snapback]</div>
    In your opinion what doe sit pertain to - Article III that is?

7. Alric

Alric New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Sep 18 2006, 08:40 AM) [snapback]321097[/snapback]</div>
    I've got a feeling you have an unshakeable idea of what it means, and how it justifies that we can torture people while nobody else can.

This space left intentionally blank for you to disagree with...

8. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Sep 18 2006, 09:09 AM) [snapback]321087[/snapback]</div>
    What or how would you term the attacks of 9/11 and the murder of 3,000 Americans?

9. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Sep 18 2006, 09:09 AM) [snapback]321087[/snapback]</div>
    You seem to be dodging my question. What would you term the event of 9/11 which killed/murdered 3.000 Americans on our home soil? I am very interested in your response. Thanks.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alric @ Sep 18 2006, 09:43 AM) [snapback]321098[/snapback]</div>
    I do not have an unshakable idea of what it means. I am asking you what you think it pertains to. My reading of it --- it pertains to civil wars and does not apply to conflicts that extend beyond a countries borders. Now your turn.

10. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Sep 18 2006, 10:41 AM) [snapback]321115[/snapback]</div>
    Or he wasn't online for the 45 minutes between your first post & your second. Patience, grasshopper.

11. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Proco @ Sep 18 2006, 10:55 AM) [snapback]321129[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry - its all that DDT :D

12. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alric @ Sep 18 2006, 09:43 AM) [snapback]321098[/snapback]</div>
    You might not have seen my response to your post...

I do not have an unshakable ides of what it means - after reading it I believe it pertains to civil wars and NOT conflicts that extend beyond the borders of a country. Hence, I do not see how it pertains to the discussions concerning interegation methods that everyone seems to be debating. How do you read Article III of the Geneva Conventions?

13. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You know the terrorist attacks we have suffered on 9/11 & before, have made our great country fearful. :rolleyes:
    The terrorists have succeeded in thier mission to instil the fear that it will happen again... :mellow:

We have implemented all the security changes in airports, train stations & cruise lines, so what we are now inconvienyanced due to those security checks in the name of terror... So yes the terrorists have succeeded..
    Granted they awakened the sleeping giant or at least most of it. The rest have been brought out of their 60s - 70s smoke clouds or thier children to again make the statments: make love not war, bring our children home, no war, peace, dont support the war & the president is to blame.. :unsure: :rolleyes: :lol: :lol:

Makes most of us sick :( :angry: but such is life and the freedoms we allow here in the great USA.. :mellow:

14. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Sep 18 2006, 08:58 AM) [snapback]321102[/snapback]</div>
    The attacks on the World Trade Center was terrorism, plain and simple. It was carried out by terrorists in the same way that you properly describe them in the thread title. I was addressing the verbiage in the article.

My point was that we/they keep calling it "The War on Terror" but terror is an intangible. Terror does not physically exist. Terror is how you interpret things around you. Something that scares me might not scare you; therefore I experience terror and you do not. It is not possible to have a war on terror. I'm sure I've addressed that enough.

Psychologically, however, the more times you hear something, the deeper that thing becomes engrained in your mind. The human brain can not distinguish between real and imaginary. There are many examples of this such as mental visualization used by athletes. So the more we hear the word terror, terror, terror, the more we internalize terror, terror, terror until we're all scared to our wit's ends.

As for my answer to your thread questions, once again I am not going to provide an answer to your question. I've done so before and felt attacked and a little berated. I normally try to avoid those things in my daily life. You see, I try to limit my exposure to those types of things because I understand that exposing myself to them regularly will only cause me to internalize them. I know that your next reply will be another forceful request for an answer even though you haven't provided one answer yourself. Personally, I'm fine with that.

15. Alric

Alric New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Sep 18 2006, 11:49 AM) [snapback]321178[/snapback]</div>
    Tell me about it! I gave up on these guys when none could answer how the 9/11 attacks could have been prevented with the use of military intervention. However, post-9/11 its OK to attack Iraq and maybe Iran.

Cheers!

16. ditto231

ditto231 New Member

It's so sad after just 5 years. I watched the documentaries on TV on our 5th anniversary. I saw all the chaos and see how the innocent people died. It's was so sad....

But just after 5 days, I see people already forgot what had happened. People actually thinks the terrorists were right, people actually supporting them, and you people want to give them more rights.....

I hope you people think hard..and when they kill one of your friends or family... don't run around and look for help....

17. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Sep 18 2006, 12:49 PM) [snapback]321178[/snapback]</div>
    Terror does exist - your are being clever here not intelligent - i do not mean that in a bad personal way. Terror scares everyone who represents their target(s) - ask every Israeli today - they all feel exposed. And we need to talk about so we can all get on the same page - and that is the issue we face today - if we are not ALL on the same page - then the few will expose the many to horrific acts of terror that could have been minimized by acting uniformly. Israel is building the terror barrier because all of Israel wants it built - or the minority has been marginalized enough to allow for its construction. We may differ on how this war on terror is conducted - it is an act of foolishness not to recognize the threat and protect ourselves. We better all ingrain within all our minds that terrorists live - that they are Islamic based - and they operate using a system or culture we do not understand - that should be the focus - educating us on how Islamofascits operate - we have to hear terror terror terror, as long as there are terrorists - when we let our guard down when we do not all come together to protect each other - is when they will strike. I am indeed tired of burying innocent Americans killed by terror(ists).

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ditto @ Sep 18 2006, 01:08 PM) [snapback]321191[/snapback]</div>
    That is why I was asking someone here about how they interpreted Article III of the Geneva Conventions - and have not yet gotten an answer. Unfortunately in a way, a lot of Americans were not touched by 9/11 directly - they would have much different opinoins for sure. The difference in Israel - is that given its small size - when terror struck it impacted a much larger % of the country. After a number of years of having INNOCENT Isareli's killed by terror they all got on the same page and acted like one - something we better do quickly - or at least quick enough to prevent Iran from going nuclear.

18. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Sep 18 2006, 09:49 AM) [snapback]321178[/snapback]</div>
    So, how many times have you told yourself that one? :lol:

Whether you personally feel terror or not doesn't mean it does not exist in a physical sense.

Here are some dictionary definitions for you. . . (pay close attention to both sets of the numbers three and four)

ter?ror /?t?r?r/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[ter-er] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
    –noun
    1. intense, sharp, overmastering fear: to be frantic with terror.
    2. an instance or cause of intense fear or anxiety; quality of causing terror: to be a terror to evildoers.
    3. any period of frightful violence or bloodshed likened to the Reign of Terror in France.
    4. violence or threats of violence used for intimidation or coercion; terrorism.

5. Informal. a person or thing that is especially annoying or unpleasant.

terror (trr) Pronunciation Key Audio pronunciation of "terror" [P]
    n.
    1. Intense, overpowering fear. See Synonyms at fear.
    2. One that instills intense fear: a rabid dog that became the terror of the neighborhood.
    3. The ability to instill intense fear: the terror of jackboots pounding down the street.
    4. Violence committed or threatened by a group to intimidate or coerce a population, as for military or political purposes.

5.Informal. An annoying or intolerable pest: that little terror of a child.
    http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=t...p;x=15&y=10

I have a sister-in-law who avoids watching, listening to, or reading the news . . . it's all too disturbing and frightening to her. She avoids it like the plague. So now she lives in her Pollyanna World . . . except now she is even more convinced that everything out there in the great unknowns are more disturbing and more frightening than they really are. She has terrorized herself!!!

TonyP, Sorry to hear your brain can not distinguish between real and imaginary. :p
    If you are one of those who would rather not think about “it†- thereby making “it†non-existent to you - ENJOY!
    Me personally, I don't hide from reality. :blink:

19. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Good answers, both of you. Thanks for the definitions, SPE. I will concede my definition to your research.

But don't get me wrong. I believe terror exists. There is no doubt. I just think it is more difficult to put a bullet in the head of terror than it is a terrorist. I think it is harder to stop terror than it is terrorism. And I also think that each person's definition of terror is different whereas no one argues what terrorism is. dbermanmd, I know that people need to be aware and concerned and safe, but I would stop short of making them terrified. I don't think any general wants to lead a terrified army any more than I want to be around a group of terrified people when a terrorist event happens near me.

Oh sure I guess I'm splitting hairs here and perhaps even delving into a little metaphysics (that's why my brain can't distinguish between real and imaginary). But in my mind, terror is as "fightable" as hate and intolerance; you have to deal appropriately with haters and the intolerant because they are people. Not feelings, emotions or events.

Alright. I didn't mean this to turn into a back-n-forth thing. Following two respectable posts, I'll drop it.
    But I so wanted to be clever AND intelligent.