1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

So. CA waiting list news. My Experience

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by djfrugal, Jul 27, 2004.

1. djfrugal

djfrugal New Member

OK, after browsing these boards for 4 months now I decided to get on some waiitng lists and buy this car!!. Here is my experience:

Hollywood: forcing you to ad on a dealer package minimum $2000 over msrp with lojack and other BS. $1500 deposit

Longo (El Monte): will charge MSRP and they say as early as 6 months for #9 $500 deposit

Redlands: Super nice, will charge MSRP but will be 8-9 months. No Deposit

San Bernardino: no waiting list, they take your info and call you and you rush down there like a race and whoever gets there first gets it. (what the??) No Deposit (forgot to ask what they are charging)

BAKERSFIELD: $100 deposit. Say I will get #9 silver in 3-4 months!!! Their list is smaller than any other I called. Will charge MSRP

I will drive 100 miles to buy my car, no problemo if I can get it in 3-4 month.

Anyway, hope that may help someone. I am on all of those lists now, but probably will buy from Bakersfield if they do it that fast.

Take care, hope to be driving one soon!

Paul B

2. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Probably depends on how flexible you are on package and color. They get in what they get in. Tell the Hollywierd folks to go back to their screening room. The San Bernadino one would be fine IF you lived a half mile from them! Maybe they are figuring to sell even more cars as everyone wrecks theirs trying to be the first one in the door after "the call" :)

Looks like you hit the foothills corridor Toyota places.

3. LeVautRien

LeVautRien Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I put my order in with Claremont Toyota, and while I haven't gotten the Prius just yet (So sooooon...!), they told me the wait would be 2-3 months, which would have me getting the car in mid August, so we shall see.

4. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Sorry, but that should be "no problema." Problemo is not a word. Not in Spanish anyway, which I presume was the intention, being as you're in So. Cal.

5. LeVautRien

LeVautRien Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think it had a Spanish intent. No problemo is a fairly common slangish kinda word. I for one say it every now and then to keep a little lingustic variety, but I don't consider it to be some kind of Spanglish creation, just a slang, even though it certainly originated as such.

6. djfrugal

djfrugal New Member

claremont

Claremont toyota adds $2-3000 over MSRP.

no thanks :)

7. LeVautRien

LeVautRien Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Really? Hmm, well they didn't for me. Perhaps it's the specific dealer, or maybe even a department, as I went through the internet sales department.

8. djfrugal

djfrugal New Member

claremont

I would call to make sure. I just got off the phone with them. You should make sure they aren't gonna add it once you get there which I have heard of plenty of these car salesmen doing.

9. LeVautRien

LeVautRien Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh I absolutely did make sure, but I'm not all that worried about it, as my father's doing the actual picking up (he gets to drive it a day before me! Ahh!), and I know of no more intimidating person. I'd be willing to bet my Prius that they won't be charging over MSRP :mrgreen:

10. djfrugal

djfrugal New Member

Another update:

Toyota of Glendora: "A Year wait, want a camry? They are almost zero emmissions"

Paul B: "No thank you, I need to get a Prius"

Toyota of Glendora: "Need? Why do you need?"

Paul B: "Thanks for all your help and support. Have fun with your camrys!!"

11. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    "Need" and "want" are often confused. It's part of the consumer society. Madison Avenue has succeeded in convincing us that our wants are needs.

I was window-shopping with my sister a decade ago, before we had money, and we saw a big-screen TV. "I need one of those," she told me. "No, you don't need it," I told her, "you want it." She looked at me like a wild animal and replied, with fire in her eyes, and a fierce intensity in her voice, "No! I need it!" The thing is, her apartment was not large enough to be able to sit far enough back from a big-screen TV for the individual pixels to merge into a coherent image.

I need food and air and water. Living in ND I need clothing and shelter. I didn't need a Prius. I wanted it. I would not have traded in my Civic for any other car, but I wanted the Prius badly enough to give up a perfectly excellent car that probably had another 150,000 miles left in it.

12. djfrugal

djfrugal New Member

huh ok

Daniel: Air, Food, Water, Prius

Needs :)

13. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    And you DID get "The price will be MSRP" in writing, yes? And you DID get a specific list of what will be on the car (i.e. they can't chuck in the fabric protectant and locking lug nuts if you didn't requst them), yes?

14. rydot

rydot New Member

I think that, for those living in public-transportation deprived Los Angeles, a car is as much a "need" as clothing. You *could* do without, but society says you gotta have it.

15. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Granted. Also in rural America, where there is no public transportation at all. However, a late-model econo-box is a lot cheaper than a new car. The person who bought my old '89 Civic got a 100% reliable, 35-mpg car with 50,000 to 100,000 miles left in it, for $2,000.

I spent those $2,000 plus $22,353 more, for the best new toy I can ever remember.

The Prius is a luxury, not a necessity.

16. LeVautRien

LeVautRien Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Suuuure did, had it faxed over a while back, now that I think about it further.

17. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    who speaks spanish in So Cal??

its Chicano. always was and always will.

problemo is most definitely a word!!

18. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Anyone who says "problemo" is not Mexican and probably could not speak Spanish if his life depended on it. Take away his green card and give him a U.S. passport instead because he's nothing but a garden-variety estadounidense. :D (I think it's telling that there is no word for that in English.) I worked for several years with migrant farm workers (nearly all from Texas) and I never heard "problemo."

19. LeVautRien

LeVautRien Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What exactly is Chicano? Me being from New Orleans and soon going to California for college, I saw a Chicano studies major and I don't know why exactly the call it that, since I don't know what the word specifically means...

20. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    chicano is americanized mexican culture.

i dated a girl when i lived in riverside and she used to talk about the fact that when she visited relatives in mexico that she had a hard time understanding them although she could speak chicano (which i always thought was spanish) fluently.

basically it can be looked at as a sort of street slang that came about simply because several of the things we experience in the US dont happen in mexico so new words had to be added in order to communicate. also most of the kids although both parents were mexican nationals, were born in the us. so the language becomes diluted because they are in an english speaking environment everywhere except at home.