1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

So close and yet so hot

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by TonyPSchaefer, Aug 3, 2007.

1. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    After the 120-mile, 57MPG drive home from Hybridfest, I have been working to get this tank back up to at least 66MPG where it belongs. I've been seeing jumps of up to 0.5MPG per day on average and felt that it was in the bag yesterday on my evening commute because in the morning I got it up to 65.6.

All was going well for the first few miles. Oh sure it dropped the obligatory 0.2 from the first segment, but with the second segment starting a string of ~75MPG I was feeling confident.

Then it all went horribly horribly wrong. There was nothing I could do to stealth. It just wasn't happening. Gliding was pretty much out of the question also. It was as if Priapus had forgotten that there was a big-ole battery in the back with 6 bars of charge. Press the pedal and the ICE kicked in; let up and the regen began. There was no middle ground.

That's when it hit me: the battery is too hot. The ambient temperature was 89ºF and with the A/C off and the windows up, the internal temp was definately in the 90s. When I'm sitting still I roll the windows down to cycle out the hot air. But when you're timing the stop lights, you don't stop much. So I did what seemed counter-intuative to someone trying to improve their mileage: I turned on the A/C. Set to 85 at first, then lowered to 80 and finally 75. I've got to admit it did feel good. Sure enough, after only a few minutes, I was stealthing again.

Now I'm not going to claim to be a wise man. You see, after things went well for several miles I figured it was all okay. So, of course, I turned the A/C off again. You've got to undersand, even when I was gliding I could see the battery draining which made stealthing harder and the engine run more to regen. Yes, with the A/C off I reached the point of no-stealth/no-glide again and ended up turning the A/C back on.

End result: I made it home with a running tank average of 65.8MPG.

This morning the temp is a very nice 70ºF and my current running tank average is 66.2MPG. I'm pretty sure I'm going to be running the A/C on the way home.

2. paulccullen

paulccullen New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Aug 3 2007, 06:33 AM) [snapback]489898[/snapback]</div>
    No disrespect Tony, but are you crazy? Is the few pennies you save in FE by not using A/C worth the sweaty discomfort of sitting in a 90ºF car?

OK, I admit, I play that "how high can I get the MPH" game too, but I like my creature comforts too. :)

3. Danny Hamilton

Danny Hamilton Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(paulccullen @ Aug 3 2007, 09:58 AM) [snapback]489916[/snapback]</div>
    You're fuel efficiency must be pretty poor.

I used to play the "how high can I get the MPH" game all the time, then I bought a Prius, and fell under the spell of the Prius Affect. Now I am one of those drivers I used to complain about, tailgate, swerve around, etc.

Yes, I realize it was a typo and you meant to say MPG, but I just couldn't resist the joke.

4. Danny Hamilton

Danny Hamilton Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Aug 3 2007, 08:33 AM) [snapback]489898[/snapback]</div>
    Ok, so:

Some people have moved some of their acceleration off of gasoline and on to "the grid" (Plug-In Prius)
    Some people have moved some of their ICE warm up off of gasoline and on to "the grid" (EBH)

In both instances people are finding that "the grid" is a more efficient and cheaper source for the energy.

What I've been wondering in these past few days here in northeast IL, is if it would be cheaper and more efficient to move some of the passenger and battery cooling to "the grid", and what would be the best method to do so.

I haven't taken any of my thoughts too seriously, but excessive heat and sleep deprivation can lead the mind down odd paths sometimes.

For example, there are these "cooler packs" some sort of fluid with a low melting temperature encased in plastic. You pre-freeze them at home, then toss them in a cooler with food or beverages instead of ice. They make less mess as they melt since all the fluid is inside the plastic casing.

Ok, so my thought was, if I could find a way to tie, mount, or otherwise attach one of these next to, or just above the intake vent in the back seat area, then the air flowing into the battery compartment would be significantly cooler than the passenger compartment, thereby moving some of the battery cooling to "the grid"

5. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(paulccullen @ Aug 3 2007, 09:58 AM) [snapback]489916[/snapback]</div>
    No disrespect taken, Paul, because in fact, yes I am crazy. When I think of all the quarters I spent in the dark, cramped video arcades trying to get a high score on a stupid meaningless arcade game I go crazy. Nowadays, I save those quarters playing my own game.

And you know as well has I that the highest concern gets the most consideration. That's just how people work. I've already admitted to driving in a hot car so you know where I stand. The same would have applied had I said that running my A/C at [MAX COLD] consistently affects my mileage but I don't care. It's just the way I roll; it's the game I play.

6. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I also would choose to run the A/C on a hot day at the cost of a small reduction in MPGs, but no such tradeoff is needed in the Prius. The point here is that he *reduced* fuel economy by *not* using the A/C, because the traction battery and associated electronics got too hot. The cabin A/C cools the traction battery system along with the driver. People who drive around with the A/C off and the windows down on hot days thinking that they are improving the fuel economy of their Prius are in sweaty error.

7. narf

narf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I wonder if at some point the added effeciency of the battery at room temperature makes up for the small load by running the AC?

8. slair

slair Ubër Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    No offense, but this quote:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Aug 3 2007, 11:43 AM) [snapback]489941[/snapback]</div>
    makes it sound like you value money more than yourself.

Horde money to live well
    Live horrible to horde money

Sometimes some things just done make sense.

Sorry, now that I review my post it almost looks like I'm bashing you. I promise I am not, I'm just curious.

9. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The AC will cool the battery about 1 degree F every 5 minutes when starting from hot, documented by some other folks at the Yahoo PTS group. What helped more was doing something to drain the HV battery down a little from the 60% point. When you know the battery is warmer than normal, try driving with 4-5 bars of SOC, easier to put current in/out of a partial empty battery than one at 6 bars-so sayeth the BCM.

Wayne

10. priussoris

priussoris New Member

Tony the heats getting to ya, turn on the AC :D
    another tip : don't move to the Southwest in the summer :p

11. Green Hokie

Green Hokie Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(richard schumacher @ Aug 3 2007, 11:43 AM) [snapback]489943[/snapback]</div>
    I have to respectfully disagree with this. I'm sitting at 70.2 mpg right now with 663 miles driven so far on my current tank. I'm down to one solid bar on the fuel gauge and probably have another 30-40 miles before it will start flashing. This week, the temp in my area has been in the mid 90's. Driving home after work (at around 5pm) with the AC on (manual at the lowest fan speed & lowest temp setting), my mpg average would always drop below 70 mpg by the time I got home. With the AC off and all windows down, my average mpg always climbs by the time I get home. Therefore, I have not yet experienced the drop in FE with a "hotter" running car/battery, as some others have observed. Therefore, I have a hard time believing that using AC will ever improve FE (regardless of the driving condition) versus not using AC.

12. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh, I feel strongly there are temps where battery performance, like Tony described in the OP, drops off. But I agree, in general, that that will be at temps only over about 105-110...about the point where the cooling fans kick on.

But I, too, tolerate temps up to around 90 when I can. Just remember that when it's 90 outside and the sun's shining and the windows are up that interior temps can get much hotter. A car in the sun all day may start with a battery temp of 120+, this is clearly inefficient and car behavior will be adversely affected.

This is another one of those times where having a CAN-View is very nice so one can see exactly what's going on.

13. Green Hokie

Green Hokie Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Aug 3 2007, 02:51 PM) [snapback]490062[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks, Evan. Will ScanGauge II measure battery temp? I am think of getting one instead of CAN-View, due to cost & ease of installation.

14. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(paulccullen @ Aug 3 2007, 10:58 AM) [snapback]489916[/snapback]</div>
    You have to ask?!? :p

Tom

15. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

This is what I have been seeing since last weekend. I had a horrible MPG day on Saturday, in fact all day Saturday. I live in Houston. Of course I normally drive with the windows down. Now I grew up on Long Island and when I first got here I was only miserable when the temps were above 80 deg. F. Now after many years of 90 days straight, each year, of three digit temperatures, I am use to driving with just the windows down up to 95 deg. F.

The high temperatures are the problem. I can’t get EV except only in the mornings for the first few miles into work. I have been trying to keep the AC on, but by the time the air gets to the intake vent in the back, it is already heated up, so it takes a very long time for my AC to cool the car down enough to then put cool air on the battery.

I have been working on a solution to this problem. I plan to somehow tap in with a small tube into the plenum and run it along my door jam, or even maybe under the car and then feed it into the battery vent intake plenum. I have a more intricate design that would snake back and forth across the roof, above the liner, to cool that first and to limit the affect solar radiation has on the passenger compartment. Then it would go down one side behind the plastic and into the battery plenum.

Now the PHEV conversion I have does modify the Prius battery fan to run faster, even full blast, but if it is only blowing hot air, what good does that do? I have noticed that the cut off for EV mode, on my pack temperature is about 114 - 116 deg. F. on the Can-View.

I of course will do a temporary tap from the AC vent, through the tube, over the passenger seat, over the back seat directly to the intake vent. However that will have to wait for a little while, and for a time that my wife is not in the car. I’ll post pictures.

16. priussoris

priussoris New Member

Tony,
    with the title of this thread I thought I was going to report it to the MODS. :lol:

17. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Green Hokie @ Aug 3 2007, 02:16 PM) [snapback]490072[/snapback]</div>
    Not yet, but word has it that it will start having hybrid info...I don't know if it will be a programmable upgrade to the II or if it'll be a third generation update. You might be able to call the ScanGuage guy and find out.

18. Green Hokie

Green Hokie Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Aug 3 2007, 05:01 PM) [snapback]490144[/snapback]</div>
    Thank you! I'll do just that before deciding to order. Wouldn't mind waiting a few months or so if it'll end up being a new 3rd gen unit.

And oh, my apologies to Tony for sort of hijacking his thread. :rolleyes:

19. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    No prob.

Does anyone know the UV rating on the windows?
    Sounds odd, I know, but since I work due South of where I live, the sun is ALWAYS to my left in the morning and ALWAYS to my left when I'm coming home. And to make matters worse, it's almost ALWAYS in that gap between the visor and the door jam.

I have been working under the impression that there's at least some level of UV protection in the window. No facts, just optimistic hoping. Even when I row down the windows, I normally don't put down the driver's window because - if you've met me you know - I'm extremely white and burn easily. During the course of a one-hour drive, five times a week (10 hours of sun time total per week), I'm sure that I would either sunburn or at least have an oddly dark left side of my face.

20. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Mike Dabrowski did an A/C-vent-redirect in his Insight, when he
    figured he would need extra cooling when making the pack work harder
    with MIMA. Similar type of air inlet, behind the passenger seat.
    I've been thinking how absolutely stupid it is that the interior of
    the car picks up so much heat, while the engine block tends to stay
    fairly cool even on a hot day. We want the exact *opposite*, and it
    would be lovely if there was a way to pick up all that cabin heat
    before it becomes cabin heat and send it all to the engine coolant.
    Year-round EBH users wouldn't need to plug it in on hot days.
    Unfortunately, it would involve a fairly complex pickup structure,
    or maybe some sort of black rubber mat with water channels you'd
    throw over the whole car and hook into the cooling system somehow..
    _H*