1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

So did those brake modifications stop the unitended accelerations?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by burritos, Jun 15, 2010.

1. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My friend has a prius and had her brake pedal sawed off modification. Funny cause she says that her foot is always slipping off the brakes now. It was always a bogus fix, to fix nothing caused by errant drivers.

2. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If they sawed off her brake pedal they REALLY did it wrong since the modification is supposed to be done to only the accelerator. :boink:I'm starting to smell FAIL in this thread. While it seems like they barely know what they're doing a lot of the time, I'm having a hard time believing that Toyota is quite that incompetent.

3. bc104

bc104 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I have an '07 Prius. The accelerator pedal is cut, not the brake pedal.

4. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I may be mistaken. Hers was a 2007.

5. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Just to be clear, the Prius never had an unintended acceleration problem. That was on other Toyotas as well as other makes using the CTS accelerator pedal assembly. Prius ONLY got the Japanese pedal assembly. You know, the one that actually works properly. And it wasn't even "unintended acceleration". It was "refusal to stop accelerating", due to sticking.

GII Prius DID get a recall to ensure the floormats couldn't catch the accelerator pedal.

So far, any reports of unintended acceleration have been attributed to operator error or suspect floormats.

Further, while many of the other Toyota models also got programming changes, Prius and Camry Hybrid did not. They already disable acceleration when the brake is pressed.

6. BoltonJoe

BoltonJoe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    David,

A few months ago I returned from a trip to find a recorded voice-mail message on my answering machine from Toyota, informing me that my 2008 Prius was supposed to have a recall for "accelerator modifications."

I ignored it, just as I ignored my floormat recall notice, as I've had no problems with either. However, it's at the dealer's now for routine maintenance, and to have the dealer check out power-steering problems. I suspect they'll insist on doing the mods. Too bad.

--Joe

7. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    BP solved Toyota's problems

8. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't want to see what it would take to similarly solve BP's problem.

Unfortunately, Kim Jung Il could do it.

9. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't want my pedal sawed, but I could use a new floor mat. (The one that came with my "new" '05 is pretty worn.) Are they giving out new ones under the recall?

10. bc104

bc104 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    @wmcbrine - No. But they saw off only a 1/2" or so. You can't notice it unless you get on the floor and look.

11. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you had purchased the Toyota all-weather mats, then the dealer will replace the front mats at no charge. However the new mats are not very good at fulfilling the "all-weather" mission, based upon photos posted here a couple of months ago. The new mats are quite thin.

12. bc104

bc104 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I didn't realize that. I have regular mats. I can understand why they are thinner if they want more clearance.