1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

So, does your Prius need a power boost?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by ozyran, Apr 28, 2007.

1. ozyran

ozyran New Member

Clicky cicky!

2. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  3. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ozyran @ Apr 28 2007, 07:01 PM) [snapback]431921[/snapback]</div>
    Okay. I give up. What's it supposed to do?

4. iaowings

iaowings New Member

The power band which refers to the range of operating speeds under which the engine is able to operate efficiently. A typical gasoline automotive engine is capable of operating at a speed of between around 750 and 6000 RPM, but the engine's power band would be more limited. The engine would typically not generate maximum torque until higher operating speeds of perhaps 2500 RPM, after such, the torque drops off. The peak power (horsepower) might be closer to 5000 RPM. Such an engine would be said to have a "power band" of 2500-5000 RPM (another example would be from torque peak to redline: 2500-6000 RPM).
    A more precise definition of the power band: the rpm range where an engine makes at least 75% of its maximum torque.[citation needed]
    This can be applied to any engine and establishes a reliable quantification of the above notion "the engine is able to operate efficiently".

Power band considerations with a CVT vehicle

Because a CVT vehicle has the capability of keeping RPMs within the crest of the power band under acceleration, a peaky engine is optimal. Under full acceleration 100% of the available power can be extracted at all times. There is no shifting, and no moving out of the power band. This type of transmission is more efficient than others due to power band issues mentioned previously, but is not favored by many due to the lack of apparent power. Drivers are accustomed to the sudden lurch off the line and the shifting of the transmission. Though these are only actions of less efficient transmission, some vehicle manufacturers have computerized such events in to the transmission to add to the perception of power and torque.
    [

5. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Apr 28 2007, 07:47 PM) [snapback]431939[/snapback]</div>
    Pssst.... notice the "Blinker fluid" and "seasonal tire air" for sale as well. It is still April....

6. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Are those punk wheel-well inserts, or something? Or do you just
    clip them around your "ohshit" bars?
    _H*

7. jewelerdave

jewelerdave New Member

Well they have blinker fluid...but what about my low headlight fluid???
    Its nice to find a source of good muffler bearings. I got a guy drive 70 miles once to get replacement muffler bearings cause locally they were "out of stock"

8. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Kale also offers radiator insulators, which won't seem so odd to some Prius drivers.

9. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Apr 28 2007, 08:45 PM) [snapback]431961[/snapback]</div>
    Okay. :D Since I read it as a scam rather than a joke, I didn't even connect "blinker fluid" with turn-signal blinkers.

So the "power bands" and "torque bands" pictured on the site are just a silly pun on the mathematical power bands and torque bands IAO explains in the above post.

I get it.

10. iaowings

iaowings New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Apr 29 2007, 10:07 AM) [snapback]432081[/snapback]</div>
    Lol I thought you were asking about an engines power band more than about the joke power band for sale. It was late and I had just taken a sleeping pill about 30 min beofe that so I was a little off, actually I was mostly off at that time.

11. ozyran

ozyran New Member

I found a great way for the ICE to have clean oil at every change!

Alas, I made the mistake of not buying the blinker fluid in time - now my blinkers are running two ticks two slow. I did, however, get a great deal on those cans of seasonal tire air!