1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

So far, no Prii

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by TonyPSchaefer, Oct 22, 2007.

1. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    This week, I'm in Switzerland. It's for work.
    I flew into Zürich and took a train to Züg. The mass transit system is impressive to say the least. The "2nd class" accommodations on the train make the Chicago Transit system look like 4th class.

But so far, no Prii sited. A few Smarts - in number, comparable to Prii in the US. But it is very refreshing to see a row of bicycles at the train station and the electric trains that seem amazingly quiet. Not just because they don't have engines but also the wheels on the tracks.

Though I'm really surprised by how out of calibration their thermostats are. I mean, it feels like it's in the high seventies here in the office but the thermostat on the wall is reading only 25! And outside, sure it's cold but it's not 4 degrees. I'd put it more in the high thirties. You'd think someone would have picked up on that by now. :blink:

2. vtie

vtie New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Oct 22 2007, 11:00 AM) [snapback]528714[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, amazing indeed. You would think that, after all those years, someone in the US would have picked up the fact that the rest of the world is using a much more sensible temperature scale!! :D :p :D

3. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I just saw a Honda Civic in the parking lot. Make that a Hybrid and bring it to the US and I'd buy one. I think it definitely looks better than the US Civic.

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think you need to go around and 'helpfully' reset all those thermostats to 72 degrees, where they're supposed to by. I'm sure your new friends will be appreciative of your help!
    Be sure to post some pix for us.

5. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Unfortunately, I do not travel with a digital camera. Mostly because I do not have a good one.

I'm starting to regret that.
    My hotel is in Walchwil and work is in Zug. http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&hl...p;z=13&om=1
    The train ride goes right up along Zuger See and what you don't get on the map is that there are beautiful mountains (snow capped and intermittently cloud covered) all along the way. Perhaps Google Earth with terrain enabled would do a good job.

Perhaps someone from here will allow me to borrow a camera for a day.

6. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    High quality small digital cameras are available for $100-150 these days...you don't need a $2000 DSLR to come home with nice photos. Maybe you won't be published in National Geographic, but it should be good enough to keep us off your back!

7. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Adjust those thermostats down to 22degrees C and tell them energy wasting lot to put on a jumper. Why would anyone want the thermostat at 25, what a waste.

I found that when I was in England, it was fairly cold out, in October but the shops seemed to be heated to 30 degrees C. Every time you go inside a shop you need to strip down to shirt and pants then heading out again on with jumper and jacket. Why not have the thermostat set to 22 and the sales staff can wear a jumper.

Another funny thing is, when the sun comes out and the temperature outside hits 25 degrees, the young lads wander around with their shirts off. Yet the same lads wander around inside the superheated shops with jackets on.

8. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Jacket at 22 degrees C.??? I'd say 22 is shirtsleeve temperature.

9. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You're in Switzerland without a camera? That should be a ticketable offense.

Oh, and Pat, speaking of cultural differences, "putting on a jumper" has a very different meaning where I come from, and has more to do with cougars than sweaters. :p

10. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

Tony Tony Tony. The one chance you get to use your MPH/KPH button and you leave the car at home!

11. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(vtie @ Oct 22 2007, 03:24 AM) [snapback]528726[/snapback]</div>
    Note enough precision in the C scale. I propose we all go to Kelvin, like the scientific community uses world-wide.

My company makes products that 'cool themselves' down to 79K ... sounds so nice and balmy we call it "high temperature". The Allen Radio Telescope Array uses the product but they wanted slight colder ... 59K.

12. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Oct 22 2007, 05:19 AM) [snapback]528746[/snapback]</div>
    It's not that hard. It's called the Acura CSX up here. Just buy a HCH and order CSX parts from Canada (or if you're feeling flush, the JDM parts from Japan)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fshagan @ Oct 22 2007, 07:13 PM) [snapback]529097[/snapback]</div>
    delta K = delta °C isn't it? 1 degree change in Kelvin is the same as a 1 degree change in celsius.

13. vtie

vtie New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fshagan @ Oct 23 2007, 04:13 AM) [snapback]529097[/snapback]</div>
    The scale factor is the same, it's just an offset.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fshagan @ Oct 23 2007, 04:13 AM) [snapback]529097[/snapback]</div>
    During the geophysicist part of my life, I used to work with superconducting gravimeters that needed to be refilled with liquid helium every month or so. 4K, -269°C, and quite a complicated procedure for transfer with losing it all...

14. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!!

At approximately 20:00 last night at the train station in Goldau, I spotted what appeared to be a Driftwood Prius. There were side signals but no side "hybrid" badging. I don't know if this means that it was an '04/'05.

Where's Goldau?
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&...p;z=12&om=1

So it took about 30 hours.

15. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My 04 has side indicators and no side Hybrid badges. I think only North America misses out on the side indicators.