1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

So I brought my Prius in for an oil change...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Vespasian, Oct 30, 2005.

1. Vespasian

Vespasian New Member

and when I returned later that afternoon to pick up the car, I found my car parked in front of the service department with the engine still on. What were they thinking? And unlike every other car that was being serviced that day, my car didn't recieve a quick wash. Maybe Avalons and Camrys receive special treatment. :angry:

2. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

Just sloppy dealership, or tech guys...

3. Vespasian

Vespasian New Member

4. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Look on the bright side Vespasian:
    1) Your car didn’t need to go through an extra warm-up cycle . . . Better gas milage on the way home!
    2) Your car didn’t receive the dealer’s sandpaper car wash treatment!

I actually watched a wash attendant drop his drying rag on the ground and then proceed to finish drying the car with that rag! My dealer knows not to send my car through their wash.

5. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

My dealer (along with Jiffy lube and every othe high school drop out) doesn't get to touch my car after it leaves the dealership unless there is a warranty situation out of my control.

That's one great way to make sure we never have to argue over who put the grease stains on the seat, the scratches in the fender, or who forgot to tighten the oil plug.

6. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    gee

my dealer never washes my car when i get the oil changed. although i have to admit my car may not have been very dirty as i wash my Prius WAY more than any other car i have ever owned.

7. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Paraphrasing what we usta say in the men's showers, "It's my Prius and I'll wash it as often as I want to!".

8. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

Here we go again... <_<

you think you can fix your car better than the trained tech? be my guest. don't come crying to me when you've got 500 volts of electricity running through your body. or when you destroy a $5000 part. or any of the other thousand things that can go wrong.

have a little respect. we don't call people in YOUR profession high school dropouts.

9. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Increasingly Toyota is cultivating high school graduates with an aptitude for mechanics and nurturing them through a two-year automotive service degree program. This is a positive sign. Toyota is building relationships with dealers, community colleges and high school graduates with good knowledge, skills, abilities for critical thinking and reading.

On the other hand, the "check engine" light came on at 10k mi. Michael Toyota (Fresno CA) had the car for one week (Wednesday through the following Thursday) and couldn't figure things out. They finally brought in Toyota engineers who found a loose connection.

Michael Toyota stated they changed the oil (10k mi) because they were not sure if the oil had been changed or not (the "Maintenance Needed" light was not on!). Checking the vehicle I found two things wrong: too much oil and they did not change the oil filter. The vehicle was not washed.

I wash and wax and change the oil on my vehicle. I took my vehicle to the dealer for the 5k oil change and was charged $10 per Liter for Mobil 1 oil! Except for more technical things, I trust my own effort to pay attention to detail, keep complete records and provide higher quality service.

10. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

Point well proven, thanks...

When my diesel powerstroke pickup was new, I followed the diesel pickup forum a while. Not hundreds of stories, but 5 or 10 is more than anyone will ever need. Jiffy lube types who drop the oil on a 3 month old powerstroke pickup, put the drain plug back in, change the oil filter, drive it out to park it for customer pickup.

Oh the surprise on everyone's face 2 miles down the road when that nice shiny new diesel engine siezed up. $10,000 rebuild later, the guy has a 2000 mile old pickup with a rebuilt motor. How fun is that kids?

Let's face it, there are many professionals in the automotive industry that love their gig. And, the oil change jobs go to who? $60/hr pro tech, or $8/hr jimmy no grades?

11. IndyDoug

IndyDoug New Member

I think college-educated Prius owners are anal about taking their car to a dealership for service. I trust my Toyota dealership and the techs that they employ. They are well-trained and they even call me to ask if everything was satisfactory after I have it serviced.

12. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I trust my dealership to change my oil, at least the twice they've done it so far. But I do it myself 'cause it's way cheaper, and gives me a chance to spend some quality time with my car.

I don't trust the dealership to wash it for me, because I spend more time and do a better job. And I don't use a long handled brush like they do...

13. oly_57mpg

oly_57mpg New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Did you hear that? It sounded like a hammer hitting a nail on the head...

14. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Wait just one moment here. One of the best service experience I have had is with a highschool grad from a automotive technician from the high school in Helena Montana at a Jiffy Lube. My car was over filled at the factory. I picked up the car on Friday. The dealership service was closed on Saturday. My fault I did not check the oil level on pick up. OK I was excited. On Saturday AM I checked the oil and it was 3/8 over. I took it to the only place I could find open. Jiffy Lube where my son takes his car. I asked if I could have some oil removed. The "kid" new all about the Prius the engine displacement etc etc. The automotive program in Helena has won a number of national honers, I have since learned. He drained the oil and suggested I raise my tire pressure to help milage. With people like this being trained we are in good hands. I don't think that the Toyota Tachs even see the cars when we go in for a oil change and tire rotation. The Toyota Techs and Master Techs are good people but they don't have the time to get to every prius.