1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

So I finally got my 1st oil change, but...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Toyotally04, Jun 12, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Toyotally04

Toyotally04 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm looking at my invoice:

I asked for Castrol GTX High Mileage 5w-30

That's what it says in the invoice, but next to it the "Part No" is "AAAMOBILHM"

Did I really get Castrol, or does Mobil make Castrol?

TTLLY04

2. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Looks like you got some Mobil High Mileage. The question that arises is is it ILSAC rated?

moto g(7) power ?

3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How much did you pay and where did you go for the oil change? if you went to the dealer they probably over filled it by about a quart.

4. Toyotally04

Toyotally04 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Econo Lube
    5 qt for $35
    oil filter for $5
    labor $10

5. Toyotally04

Toyotally04 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I saw two different types of Castrol carton tanks next the changing station.

6. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Classic.

Wow you didn't even have to go the dealer to get over filled...Your are over filled by one quart. Surprised you made it home. The jiffy lube joints all use the same database and it shows 5 quarts for the G2.

G2 takes about 3.8 with new empty oil filter. Go check your dipstick its way over filled.

#6 edthefox5, Jun 12, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
  7. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wait a second labor $10 ? What?

Where in California do you live Mexico? I couldn't get a kid to spit on my car for $10...well.... you got what you paid for that's for sure.

privilege and audiodave like this.
  8. Brando714

Brando714 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Here's what I do and I recommend you to do as well because there are a lot of scams regarding synthetic or regular. Go buy your own quality oil and filter, and stop by a shop and pay them $15 to do the change for you. My local gas station has a small tune up shop and they used to charge me $10 few years ago but now charge me $15, which overall I'm ok with because it's not worth it for me to jack my car up and get dirty just to save $15 on labor. I get down and dirty for bigger jobs

9. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Are you saying that what you asked for is somehow significantly better than an equivalent product from Mobil ??
    I think not. And you likely don't have a good way to determine that either.
    Don't make a mountain out of a mole hill.

10. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Once in a while I'll use Jiffy down the street. I bring them exact amount of oil in a bottle 3.8 and bring the factory oil filter bought at the dealer or amazon for $4. that way they cant F it up. Then i tell them nothing else needs to be checked. Then i stand there and watch them.
    I usually tip the guy underneath doing all the work and tell him not to mungo tighten the pan bolt.

About every 5 oil changes I buy a new pan bolt.

Go to Walmart buy 5 quart jug for $ 24.95. Remove and save 1.2 quarts. Keep the empty bottle that's what I use to bring the exact amount of oil to them.

Following am before starting the car i check the oil make sure everything is groovy down there and maybe have to add tiny amount to bring it to the full line.

160,000 miles and 25 oil changes later using excellent oil results in this:::

Attached Files:

jzchen likes this.
  11. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Also be aware that many high mileage G2's eat alot of engine oil. Its your job to figure out how much. That's easy just check the oil first thing in the am before starting every 4 or 5 days depending on how much you drive. keep it at the full line.

How many miles on the car? Most reasons people sell the g2 is it needs a new hybrid battery or its an oil eating monster due to poor engine maintenance especially if oil changed at the dealer or using the vat oil at a jiffy joint.

12. Bibster

Bibster Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry to hijack the topic but I want to avoid opening another thread. I will need to change the oil on my 120k miles Auris hybrid. What type of oil do you use exactly and how much do you need to put in? My current oil is Toyota genuine motor oil 0-w-20 Thanks.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

13. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    IF.....you haven't noticed excessive oil usage yet, there is no reason to switch to a different oil.
    The oil usage problem is NOT caused by the particular oil used.

Bibster likes this.
  14. JerryScript

JerryScript Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    @edthefox5 are you saying dealership oil service is actually bad for the car (if so, why)?

I recently purchased a 2007, and the Toyota owner site shows oil changes performed as part of service twice a year. I took this as a sign the owner took ok care of it, since all recommended service was performed at the dealership.

If there is a problem with the dealership oil service, are there any steps I can take to mitigate the damage, our do I just keep an eye on the levels and continue with a high quality synthetic for future changes? The car has 135k miles, 10k/year usually indicates local family driving, if that makes any difference.

15. Bibster

Bibster Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I just bought the car a few months ago so this is the first oil change for me. I'm not sure what's the best way of changing oil. Should have mentioned this before hand, my bad.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

16. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's exactly what I am saying. When this car is serviced at the dealer it will be over filled religiously. AND

If you throw them the keys and say change the oil they will fill up the crankcase with vat oil. This is cheap recycled oil transferred by filthy reload trucks into a filthy vat that has never ever in its life been cleaned. Oil that is designed to render a profit for the loss leader oil change dept. Crap I wouldn't put in my lawnmower.

The really bad issue for a G2 is using that oil it will eventually wear the oil scavenge ring on the piston resulting in lots of oil loss. So you have a few things against you here is the worst. Since you have the DEALER CHANGING THE OIL OMG IT MUST BE PERFECT!!!!! look you yourself feel all warm and fuzzy that the dealer is changing the oil nothing could be further from the truth. Because the morons that change the oil are not SAE techs most dont even speak english and they never check the oil before servicing it because if they did they would find you in the waiting room interrupt your really great free donuts and free coffee while you watch some stupid movie and tell you bad things about your car you do not want to here especially since they caused it which is hey you were down 2 quarts of oil when you rolled in here because you use our shitty oil that's great huh? You know your engine is eating alot of oil right? Why would they do that why bother you in the middle of your great donut. Doesn't matter there not checking the oil anyway because they don't give a shit there job is to over fill the crankcase with shitty oil and try not to twist off the pan bolt.

So dealer maintained means there is no personal; interaction with the owner and under the hood. Most posters on here have never checked the oil in there engine. Most posters on here will see check engine lights all over there dash and never even open the hood to see whats going on under there. Like its a space ship.They go through the hassle of joining this site to post about lights on the dash before they even open the hood. These are the dealer serviced people.

I can prove it. You have a new to you 07. For the next few weeks once a week check the oil in the am before starting the engine. Make a note of where the oil is on the dipstick. Oh and its probably over filled over the fill line from the get go but stay after it and see how much oil it eats..

Prove me wrong. Wait...you cant prove me wrong because the dealer has never touched my G2 I use high quality oil on my oil changes and my car does not eat a drop of oil between 5,000 mile oil changes.

There's 2 types of G2 used cars. One is the dealer serviced owner who all of a sudden see's a check engine light on the dash because the oil was so low the sump was sucking fumes the dealer says so sorry blown engine and moves them right into a new car and oh thank god for that dealer he saved my life!!!! lol...... the other type is a failed hybrid battery which will light up your dash and crowbar the car and oh thank god the dealer moved me into a new car too.

Next step is the car auction and 24 hours later its on Joe The Douche's Car lot. Or that owner limps home and sells it on Craigs list to some other guy who got a "steal" and we see that steal on this site very soon after.

So Welcome!! lol...

Montgomery likes this.
  17. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    What I find strange is the Japanese are very precise about every little detail. When I installed the remote start and alarm on our v they had the details down to where to place the wire ties.

Does the fact that I only raise the front causes a lot of oil to remain in the car when I drain the oil? The instructions seem to lead to overfilling, and that reducing the amount below specified is the solution...

moto g(7) power ?

18. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I can't speak to what happens with a Prius v, but on the Gen 2 I try and raise the back up high as possible when draining. For filling I lower the car so it is level. I measure out the oil - 3.7 L (3.9 US qts) - and it is always pretty close. Never over the top dimple.

jzchen likes this.
  19. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    That is an absolutely RIDICULOUS assertion.
    Are you off your meds again ??

20. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I must say it can't be both a loss leader and a profit maker from VAT oil at the same time...

moto g(7) power ?