1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

So I replaced rear shocks with KYB ExcelG

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by cyclopathic, Jul 14, 2014.

1. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    First of all to all who say OEMs don't last: they were fine at 143K.. would come extend back after being compressed the same way as brand new replacements.

Second ExcelGs are not performance shocks but they are slightly better then OEM. They soak big bumps better, and less body roll in turns.

Was it worth it? Not really.. but they are better

Gas Mizer likes this.
  2. WA///M

WA///M New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Good insights.

3. Grren4ever

Grren4ever Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    How much was labor to do the rear shocks?

4. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Since the Gen III does NOT use coil over shocks, the installation cost shouldn't cost that much.

There is a through bolt through the eye bushing on the bottom mount and a nut on the stud that goes into the hatch area accessible at the rear wheel arch.

5. cyclopathic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    at leisurely pace about 1.5hr. It took longest to pop upholstery in trunk just enough to get open end wrench/hex to undo the top, and you need a long 17mm(?) socket and impact for bolt at the bottom.

6. peterjmc

peterjmc Ping pong in Ding Dang...

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I agree that the total time is about 1.5 hours for an experienced technician.

For the 2010-2011 Prius hatchback, you have to deal with taking apart the interior trim and upholstery.
    For the 2012+ Prius hatchback, Toyota has put in access panels (small plastic covers) directly over the interior rear strut bolt to allow for easy access.

7. cyclopathic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I would not call myself an "experienced technician". If it were someone at dealer it would take them less then a half time as they would have to guess where the pistons are.

If there were access panels, 10min per shock is all you need. Car doesn't need to be lifted, no wheels to take, no alignment necessary; just drive it on ramp and undo 2 nuts per shock. That if you have long socket, impact and your compressor puts out enough pressure