1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

So I want to get some winter tires for my prius trim five, and TPMS...

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Ashlem, Aug 31, 2014.

1. Ashlem

Ashlem Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    It came with the 17 inch wheels. I did some reading here, but didn't seem to find the answer I was looking for.

I looked at some winter tires for my liftback, but the 17 inch ones are expensive (understandable due to the larger size). Tirerack had them with TPMS for about $1421 (also had to get alloy wheels because they don't have steel in that size), vs. about $958 for 15 inch version using steel wheels. I was planning to get the Michelin X-Ice XI3 tires, since they worked superbly when I had them on my prius c last winter. Also getting the road hazard because WI roads suck when old man winter decides to randomly sprout potholes around the streets.

So my question is, can I put 15 inch wheels on my liftback without any major issues? Or is it going to be a problem with the five trim? I can live with the different handling/mpg; I just want to make sure there won't be a problem switching to a different wheel size if it means saving $463.

----

While I'm on this subject, since my brother and I both have priuses now (I sold my prius c to him so he'd have a more fuel efficient car for his job), changing the TPMS every time we need to swap wheel sets is going to get expensive. So is it worth it to buy one of those TPMS tools and just do it ourselves since we'd now have two cars to do every spring/fall? And if so, what do you recommend getting? We'd be splitting the cost to buy it.

I did consider just ignoring the light or putting electrical tape over where the light is, but I also read that no TPMS may cause shops to be hesitant to work on the wheels/tires, since they don't want to be liable for any damage that may occur later as a result, which I can understand. So I figure just getting TPMS now will be less of a headache down the road, and hopefully it'll only be a one-time expense like the wheels.

2. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    15 inch wheels with the 195/65R15 tires will be no problem for your car if you replace all 4.

What is TPMS tool?

3. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I think they mean the scan reader to set the system to recognize the tire pressure sensors in the wheels.

4. chrisj428

chrisj428 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I run four 15" steelies with 195/65/15 winter tires on my Five with no issues at all.

In fact, I prefer the narrower tread for better snow traction and the higher sidewall for greater impact resistance when IDOT packs it up for the year and leaves the road conditions to the elements.

KennyGS likes this.
  5. walterm

walterm Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I use the ATEQ tool to reset my TPMS IDs every spring and fall on my 2 household Priuses, and figure it has paid for itself several times already.
    ATEQ TPMS QuickSet
    it's available from Amazon
    but for some reason pasting in the Amazon link doesn't work - here's the part after amazon.com/:
    ATEQ-QuickSet-TPMS-Reset-Tool/dp/B008SCWXN4

#5 walterm, Sep 3, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  6. HaroldW

HaroldW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    15 " work fine and you have too really look to see the light. I never notice it. You could go to four Nokian all weather tires and use them exclusively. That way you keep everything. Sell your present tires to off-set the dollar outlay. H

Roland1555 likes this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Our Canadian "touring" model came with the 17" alloys rims and Michelin Pilot 215/45R17. We purchased in November, and immediately had this quandary. Our purchase dealership explained to me that the Prius was "flagship" vehicle, no steel rims were available. I emailed around to some other dealerships, long story short, this is what I settled on:

snow tire: Michelin X-Ice 195/65R15
    Corolla steel rim, part no: 42611-02471 (2008+ model year?)
    steel rim lug nuts: 90942-01007 (plain, open-ended, galvanized)

The rims were new, $70 each. The lug nuts were around $1 each? You can use the regular nuts, but they will stand out, look kind of strange. Also, having the regular nuts off the car affords you an opportunity to clean them up, and keeps them out of winter's worst.

I got the package through the dealership, since I wasn't 100% sure it would fit, but no problems. I did not get tpms sensors for the snows, haven't missed them.

8. Ashlem

Ashlem Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm, I sent an email to tirerack asking this, and they replied that due to the slightly larger brake caliper, the smallest wheels that would fit on the five was 16 inch wheels. Was he telling the truth, or is he just trying to upsell me, since several of you have stated that 15 inch wheels worked fine for your five trim?

9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    When one dealership came through with the above for me, they initially had similar concerns. That was one big reason that I went with the dealership, not online. As it turned out, there was no problem. I have a pdf of the Repair Manual, which covers brake maintenance. It makes no mention of the brakes being any different on the V.

I'd say TireRack is being cautious, but misguided (to be kind). Then again, it could be there concern is with their aftermarket alloys or steelies. I do know there's no problems with the above mentioned corolla rims.

5d_059-001.jpg

5d_059-002.jpg

5d_059-006.jpg

10. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Even better;

Get the Techstream mini-vci Mongoose cable clone, like this one;

Using the Techstream software, read and write down the TPMS registration numbers already "registered" or listed in the car's ECU.

Take the numbers to the tire dealer that has "cloneable" TPMS transmitter sensors, like these by Standard;

Standard Cloning Process

Then, switching tires every season will NOT require resetting the TPMS ECU.

11. Ashlem

Ashlem Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm, good info. I'll keep that in mind. Now to debate whether to get tires now while tirerack has some rebate credit cards, or wait a few months...

12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Michelin typically has a fall sale, $70 off on set of 4. At Costco it's commencing Oct. 06 I think. I like Costco 'cause they take it off at the till, reduces sales tax and avoid the delay/hassle of mail in rebates.