1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

So I was driving in a little bit of snow...

Discussion in 'Prius c Fuel Economy' started by Ashlem, Feb 1, 2014.

1. Ashlem

Ashlem Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    So I was driving home from work and due to falling snow, went slower than usual.

Had Michelin X-ice XI3 snow tires, and did about 35-40 mph on the freeway. Of course, hardly anyone was going faster than this, especially after passing a car that hit a median and watching others slip around. There was about 2-3 inches of snow on the ground, and they hadn't plowed the freeway very well yet at the time since it was early on a Saturday morning. It was about 15 degrees F outside according to the car thermometer, and thankfully no strong winds. I was also in eco mode the whole time.

Also made use of the "pulse and glide" technique, mostly because the car I was following was going slower than me at times, plus I didn't have anyone behind me for much of the trip. Surprisingly the trip home only took about an extra 10 minutes. But I'm sure you all would rather get home a few minutes later, than to be in a ditch or car accident.

All things considered, I'd say that's pretty darn impressive for driving in snow with winter fuel and blasting the heat. For comparison, when the temps were below zero with strong winds a few weeks back, I averaged around 40-43 mpg.

prius snow drive.jpg

2. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Slow down from winter's snow & ice certainly does have its benefits when your driving a Prius.

It's quite refreshing seeing MPG go up, rather than down, when there's congestion on the road.

Think about how the effect those same conditions have on others. They grow increasingly frustrated. Some of that is the direct result of gas being wasted. We don't have that with the hybrid system. It fact, I bet you may have had a silly grin appear on your face at some point... watching the impact of the drive have a positive effect on efficiency.

Enjoy Winter, but also remind yourself what happens with the arrival of Spring.

3. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That is impressive for nearly 40 minutes of driving in those conditions.

I'm thinking almost any other vehicle get's LOUSY gas mileage in those conditions.

That being said, when snow or ice appear, and people start sliding around me? My attention and priority is absolutely NOT with my gas mileage. My goal in driving in those conditions is ONLY to get to my destination safe and without damage.

4. n2thewild

n2thewild New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II

5. n2thewild

n2thewild New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    with the amount of snow we have had this winter so far, my "C" has handled like a dream. That is way more important than gas mileage. Smiling as I pass people trying to climb a hill and spinning tires instead. :)