1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

So I was in an accident today.....

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Hryb, Jul 5, 2008.

1. Hryb

Hryb electic

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Both my wife and I (as well as my dog) are fine. We were sitting at a dead stop, and we hit by a car going about 10 MPH. The car is drivable, but the bumper is scratched up (and still attached!)

While not a serious accident, I am pretty ticked off that my Prius was 'hurt'

The airbag's did not deploy, but the drivers side airbag light is now on when I drive, and when the wife is in the passenger seat, it says her airbag is not on. Clearly something happened someplace, so it's off to the dealer Monday. Anyone have any ideas why the indicators are screwed up? Probably the impact is what I thought.

Also, when I bring it in to the dealer, I assume that this event will have caused the event data recorder to log it (and all the data related to this event.) Can I ask the dealer to give me a print out of what happens? Will the event log reset it self after a day or two? Or am I OK?

Anyone have suggestions for where else I should look at to make sure no other damage was done?

The driver of the other car is getting 'a big fat ticket' (that is a quote from the officer) and his insurance is on the hook for this.

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    First of all, I'm glad you, your wife and your dog are all fine. I'm sure a little shaken up but with time that will go away.

So if you were sitting still, how'd he hit you. And at such a slow speed? I don't know diddly about the codes or damage, but how'd this happen?

3. beckaloulou

beckaloulou New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I am glad to hear that you are ok that can be really scary!!! any photos of your hurt prius baby :( Hope it can be fixed really fast keep us updated

4. Hryb

Hryb electic

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    It was actually pretty weird.

Me at stop sign stopped.
    Car behind me. stopped.
    Mini Van behind him, going about 15 or so...hits car behind me.... that car gets shoved into my backside.

Guy in mini van was ticketed and very apologetic.

5. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'm glad you're all well. I hope everything is fixed and back to normal soon.

6. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Oh OK. When you said "airbags didn't deploy, I assumed you were hit from the front.

7. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am glad no one was injured, including the doggie. Take the car to a reputable body shop, hopefully recommended by a friend, and tell them to fix it like it was new.
    I have had my Prius hit in the rear 3 times in 3.5 years. Car still looks like new because I take it to the best shop in the Bay Area- Brooks Motor Cars in Oakland, CA and they make it better than new.
    I should add that the only damage has been having the cover repainted each time. Hits were like 3 MPH from idiots waiting to pay their toll and not paying attention- scratches, nothing worst. Typically costs about $600 to repair each time.

8. N3FOL

N3FOL Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Glad to hear that everyone is fine. Try to make sure that his insurance company gets to a Prius rental car.