1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

So I was loading 10' 2x10's into my Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by nerfer, Aug 3, 2007.

1. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I was feeling kind of smug for being able to use my 50+ mpg vehicle to haul heavy timbers, and wasn't watching the board I was swinging around. Hit my rear taillight, just a 1/2" from the end. So it's cracked, but no pieces fell out. Is this something I can fix with some epoxy or something? (I put some clear packaging tape over it for now, have to be close to see it).

If not, is there an aftermarket/junkyard supplier of this? I tried doing some google searches, but didn't get reputable hits. I thought perhaps among the good people of this board some may have some experience in this matter. I only need the tail light housing, no bulbs or anything.

The good news is, I was able to transport the ten-foot 2x10's (pressure treated, so they're heavy) home without any problems. I did have to put a bungee cord thru the latch to the tie-downs, as the Prius can only load 8-foot lengths with the hatch down.

2. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I don't think epoxy will work without creating a mess. You might try a shop that sells Plexiglas and get some glue from them. Usually to glue Plexiglas you tape parts together dry and use a syringe type applicator to let the glue weep into seam. Some crazy glues might also work. I wonder if the 3M clear paint protector film would work.

3. GadgetMan2

GadgetMan2 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nerfer @ Aug 3 2007, 02:27 AM) [snapback]489825[/snapback]</div>
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2007-Toyota...sspagenameZWDVW

4. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
  5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That one on Ebay looks like the way to go, esp. if you can get it for that price.

6. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I saw a bunch of taillight assemblies on the shelves at AutoBeYours.
    _H*

7. eastender43

eastender43 Junior Member

Get some thin superglue,not the gel,and carefully bleed it into the cracks... If it does run,Do NOT try to wipe it off,just be real careful bleeding it in...When it cures it should be invisible,and check to be sure the cracks have sealed...visually...not with a hose...

These new tailights crack very easily...you might crack a new one if you replace it....

And besides,I think RE-USE should be part of owning a green car...The taillight will look good if you are careful,and will function as good as the one that went for $174 on Ebay yesterday..

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nerfer @ Aug 3 2007, 01:27 AM) [snapback]489825[/snapback]</div>