1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

So I'm getting a Prius for my birthday...

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by ginadrums, Oct 21, 2012.

?
  1. Yes

50.0%
  2. No

50.0%
  1. ginadrums

ginadrums Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi y'all! This is my first post on here. Hope it's in the right place..

So my birthday is coming up, and my parents are buying me a brand new 2012 Prius. I'm so excited!
    I'm leaning towards the Sea Glass Pearl color.

It was hard to decide whether I wanted the three or four. The JBL speakers sounded nice but I didn't really want the leather. I decided on the three. I don't really need extras, I'm a simple girl :) The regular speakers sound just fine while test driving.

I play the drums, and my set was able to fit! That was a factor that I'm so happy about! I'm definitely going to need to play around with loading it though. The bass drum totally blocks the back. We lifted the back cargo cover and the bass was able to fit inside which helped see the black window better. It's going to take some getting used to.

I need advice though... I'm thinking of getting the Solar Roof Package. Is it worth it? My mom thinks I should keep it simple since the most I drive is an hour to school. I do like sunroofs though. What do you guys think? How do you like the solar-roof? How's the sunroof? Is it worth it?

Either way, I'm so happy I'm getting this car! Thanks :)

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I voted no because of Prius Solar Panel Failure | PriusChat.

I'd hate to pay extra for such a feature could fail so quickly out of warranty (in his case, by time, not by mileage) and is expensive to fix.

3. OceanEyes

OceanEyes Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have the Sea Glass Pearl with the solar roof package and love it... congrats on your birthday present!

4. NYPrius1

NYPrius1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    We have the solar roof package on our 2010 and love it.

5. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The solar panel isn't about how long you drive it's about how hot your car is when you get in it again.

If it's a gift my conversation would go like this:

Giftee: Can I have the solar panel?
    Giftor: But you only drive an hour
    Giftee: The solar panel helps keep the car ventilated so I don't come back to the parking lot with my car an oven.
    If it then goes..
    Giftor: Oh, well all right then.
    You say...
    Giftee: Great! Actually, you know a Plug-in Prius, less the $2,500 federal and $1,500 CA tax credits could be less than a Prius Three with solar panel and I'd rather have the Plug-in Prius. And, we'd be able to get an HOV lane sticker as well. In fact, there are great deals on the East Coast so it might be even cheaper to buy a plug-in Prius over the Internet from an East Coast dealer and have it shipped. When plugged in, the car can run the A/C to keep it cool so I wouldn't need the solar panel as much. Do you see how much I love you? I'm trying to help lower the cost!

6. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Welcome aboard and happy birthday. You need to get an electroic set so you don't have to worry about space so much.

7. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Welcome to the Prius family & forum.

I would consider a plug in Prius if I were u.

F8L likes this.
  8. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Agreed. They can be had for about the same price as the Three with solar.

If you don't want a PIP and the ugly door handles then a Three with solar gets my vote since you don't want leather.

9. Rich F

Rich F New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'd say go for the solar package if you like having a sun roof. The ventilation definitely works, but the only reason to get it is you like having a car with a roof you can open. I love it, but it's totally a luxury feature. As some have said the PIP is practical and if it has all the features you want, could also be a good call.

10. Toasty

Toasty Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    happy bday

11. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Tell mom all you need is $38,000 and you can own a super awesome Four Solar Plus Performance Prius :)

Welcome to the Prius addiction ;)

Mike

Mobile on my SGH-i717

12. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I've have the solar panel for 3+ years now. I'm not sure I'd get it again because it's just not effective when I need it most. Yea, it makes a difference in cooler/temperate climates, and it's great to be able to open the roof during desert spring and fall, but hot hot summers won't make the car magically "cool" - especially if you live in the desert.

The windshield cowling, where the fresh air intake is located, is black. Thus, it pre-heats the fresh air as it's drawn into the car. This makes the inside of the car as much as 10-15 degrees F above ambient when if you use a sun shade (and more without one). Unfortunately, because of the fixed position of the solar panel, it's not very effective when it's not mid-day (read: warm desert evenings before the sun sets), which means the fan stops operating around 5:00pm due to insufficient power, and the car heats up again until 7-8pm until the sun sets.

Remote A/C is a feature included with the package, but the remote range isn't usable enough to get the car cooled to a comfortable level. By the time you reach the car, it's just gotten started, or may have taken the "heat bite" out of the vents for when you start the car. The only time it's really useful is if you set it a few minutes before going out to your car - if you're within range (read: at home).

It's still better than nothing at all, but at an $1800+ premium, not sure I see the value there. Thus, unless you think a sunroof is worth almost $2k, I'd skip it.

cwerdna likes this.