1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

So I'm sitting at a light and a Mustang revs on me...

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by mrstop, Jan 12, 2014.

1. mrstop

mrstop PWR Mode

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I hadn't really done anything to provoke it. Maybe he was impressed by my sweet, slightly lowered Prius. Or maybe he was a bit of a bully. Who knows?

Anyway, I pulled up next to him at the previous light where we both turning left. After the light turned green, we both left. I was a bit more aggressive, but nothing overly so. He was a bit more so and ended up stopped at the next light where I pulled up next to him again.

So I'm sitting at the light minding my own business and chatting with my son, when he begins to rev as the light gets ready to change. I know I have no chance in beating him, but what the heck. I push the power button just in case.

The light turns green. Sure enough, he starts to take off hard. I mash down the accelerator. I think I had him the first 10 or 15 feet from the electric motor. After that, it wasn't a contest. Being a responsible citizen and not wanting to set too a bad example for my son (and knowing this is a well patrolled strip of road), I cut and settle into the speed limit. The Mustang kept at it. I hear the sweet V8 scream through the gears as he continues to accelerate.

Well, not a moment after I shut down I see amongst the traffic behind me a flash of blue and red. I check my speed and I'm about 39 in 35 MPH zone. I dial it back to about 36 or so to be safe. The police finally make it past the traffic as drivers pull over to the right to let him pass as did I ;). While he could have maybe gotten me for a minor infraction (sudden acceleration in a Prius?), I think he had bigger fish to fry.

By this time, the Mustang is probably a 1/4 to 1/2 mile away. The police car takes off. Sure enough, once he reaches the Mustang, who is caught behind traffic, the lights go on. The Mustang knows who it is for and immediately pulls off to a side street. As we drive by, he is sitting with the police behind him. I honk in congratulations.

My son says, "hurry up Dad and turn on our street and get the car in the garage." I'm like, "no hurry, the kills been done." So we begin to joke about the conversation between the Mustang driver and the police:

Police officer: "Do you know why I pulled you over"​
    Mustang driver: "Yeah, but you see there was this Prius..."​
    Police officer: "So let me understand if I hear you correctly. There was this menacing Prius..."​

2. Pasaman

Pasaman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I ignore these people. Especially with my son in the car.

Flying White Dutchman likes this.
  3. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, the Mustang learned his lesson, don't mess with a Prius. :p

Zythryn, dbcassidy and mrstop like this.
  4. mrstop

mrstop PWR Mode

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    True, but I was driving mostly (maybe a bit in the fringe) in the legal limits. I just did a bit to egg the other guy on. It was a fantastic lesson for my son. If you drive like an idiot, there is a good chance you will get pulled over.

More fun per MPG!

5. randommonks

randommonks Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Instant karma. Gotta love it.

PriusGuy32 likes this.
  6. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well written, funny story.

The biggest problem, is since I've gotten my Prius, I've gotten 2 speeding tickets. I don't consider myself an irresponsible driver but I've discovered 2 things...the second maybe the most important.

#1. The Prius is surprisingly powerful...and it's so quiet you can find yourself suddenly "gliding" along at a higher than you thought speed. It also picks up speed going down hill. As a new owner this took time for me to adjust to...

#2. A percentage of law officers seem to take EXTRA delight in the opportunity to pull a Prius over and ticket them.

With my first speeding ticket? I could really tell the officer was a little extra happy about my actually driving a Prius.

So just a warning. I could see that exact scenario playing out...and having an officer that decides it might be more "fun" to tag The Prius instead of The Mustang...which he can probably get next week if he wants.

And yeah, I honestly think the Prius is more powerful than people think and with it's aerodynamic design, you can find yourself going a lot faster than you think. It's acceleration times.....are mundane...and on the slow side, BUT...The Prius is capable of going fast...just not necessarily getting fast...fast.

ForestBeekeeper and mrstop like this.
  7. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    mrstop likes this.
  8. mrstop

mrstop PWR Mode

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    ROFL!!!

Edit:

This is another lesson for my son. Size up the competition before you fight. Sometimes the most obvious tactic isn't always the best...

9. ForestBeekeeper

ForestBeekeeper Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    It is amazing the difference that the 'PWR' mode makes as compared to the 'ECO' mode.

10. phoenixgreg

phoenixgreg Senior member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm always surprised at the look on other driver's faces when I press PWR and leap onto a freeway from the on ramp. But that's about the only time I mash the pedal. I didn't buy it to race it!

JGI and ForestBeekeeper like this.
  11. mediahound

mediahound Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    This seems like a fake story as I doubt anyone would honk with a cop there for fear of getting pulled over themselves.

That said, we will always 'win' in or Priuses because we can just pass on by while others are filling their tanks at the gas station really often, and they know this, which is why deep down inside, they are jealous.

12. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Not really, I've honked at cops and gave them the thumbs up when they've pulled someone over that was driving like a jerk. ;)

PriusGuy32 and mrstop like this.
  13. mrstop

mrstop PWR Mode

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not sure why you would think this is a fake story. The cop was pulled over on a side road facing away from the street I was traveling on. It is doubtful he heard me and it wouldn't have been worth his time to get me for less than 5 miles over the speed limit when the Mustang was easily close to double the 35 MPH speed limit.

The only thing that may have been fake, was his intentions. I can't know whether he was doing that to flex his muscle against a Prius or if he would have done that to any other car. I really don't have time to write fake "road kill" stories. I just thought everyone would share in the humor of the situation.

14. Sierra Mark

Sierra Mark Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Honking in congratulations was not a good move. This is how Road Rage starts!

Jin likes this.
  15. RaZa

RaZa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I've always wondered about the actual acceleration times of my prius in power mode. This car has more zip than everything I've ever owned except my vette of course

ForestBeekeeper likes this.
  16. CdotK

CdotK Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    lol.. being a once 2001 Mustang GT owner i am laughing even harder... why would anyone provoke a Prius.. that's just dumb! He got what he had coming to him for sure! Its guys like that, that give the owners of American muscle bad names.

17. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Why... there's ones that give American muscle a good name?

18. CdotK

CdotK Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    yeah people like me jerk!

19. ForestBeekeeper

ForestBeekeeper Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I play with the modes a lot.

I find it amazing the difference of how the car handles between PWR and ECO.

Interstate on-ramps are all PWR for me.

Turning in intersections where traffic has left piles of slush, that you must plow through? PWR mode is the answer.

Otherwise, I keep in mostly in ECO.

20. CdotK

CdotK Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    ummm there is no difference in "how the car handles" in PWR mode vs ECO mode... just a difference in how much throttle response happens at different points as you press down on the throttle.