1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

So it's been 2 weeks with new LRR tires...no improvement in mpg!

Discussion in 'Prius c Fuel Economy' started by Mikey The Mailman, Dec 20, 2015.

1. Mikey The Mailman

Mikey The Mailman Delivering snail mail for you ;-)

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I purchased 4 new tires at 68k miles. For 3 1/2 years and immediately before I had it new tires, I enjoyed excellent MPG and I admit I'm OCD with watching mpg screen enough to know my daily habits.

With this new tires and all tires are set 41PSI....I still get POOR mpg with no changes! I almost never reach 50mpg on any trips!

Before new tires: My AM commute to work....always 53 to 56mpg, my PM commute to home, 52 or so.
    New tires: My AM commute to work....barely 43 mpg! maybe 45!, my PM almost never reach 40!

What gives! I e-mailed Toyota service dept, they said did I lose wheel cover? (WTH?! t's the same cover I still have it!) then he said, they need to check into it for $150. No way I'm paying $150! that's like another tire! Ugh!

What may be the cause? I purchased Mechilen Fuel Savers with LRR tires as recommended. I feel sick to my stomach every time I see piss-poor mpg.

Hope you guys and gals can help me figure out what MAY be the cause. I've been driving with this new tires little over 1,000 miles already including 1 day trip to southern California (that trip, 37mpg and 41 back, where the same trips I took before always 54 average depending on the weather and wind directions)

Mucho thanks!

2. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Gas formulae change with the seasons and I've found that in the Winter/Spring my mpg takes a bit of a hit.
    Here are my figures for the past couple of years:

2014:Winter=39.83; Spring=46.17; Summer=51.21; Fall=44.92;
    2015:Winter=38.05; Spring=49.71; Summer=50.59; Fall=48.61;
    (both years running Michelin EnergySavers 46F/44R, but around end of October 2015 switched to Blizzak WS-80s running 40F/38R)

(where Winter=Jan->March; Spring=April->June; Summer=July->Sept; Fall=October->December)

…and don't forget YMMV! :whistle:

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    good point^ and the tyres may need some more breaking in. but you would be better served to track by manual calculation each time you fill up.

4. Mikey The Mailman

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I doubt it. I went thru 3 winters with the old tires it still gave me excellent mpg.

My point is that it gave me excellent mpg that day before I changed to new tires then all of sudden it gave me 10+ mpg difference.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i don't know how the michelins compare to the tyres you replaced. there are err tyres, and there are err tyres. i think the best michelin is the energy saver. but 10 mpg seems too much for any tyre change.

6. Mikey The Mailman

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    EXACTLY!!!! If it was 1,2 or 3 mpg difference that's fine. but 10+? no way! that's something wrong.

Is it possible computer system may be the issue other than the tires?

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    on the car? i doubt it. are they the exact same size? the old tyres would be slightly smaller due to tread wear, and show a false mpg number.

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What were the old tires? Just curious.

9. Mikey The Mailman

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Old tires were the Goodyear Assurance that came with my car when I brought it brand new

10. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    My experience is that LRR tires have a fairly lengthy break-in period. It takes 1-2K miles for them to get "worn in". I have no technical explanation for this, but it is what I have observed. Additionally, as was previously mentioned, your LRR tires are bigger than your old tires due to tread wear, so that's a small factor as well.

An abrupt seasonal change can have a dramatic impact on mileage by 10-15% easily. Couple that with the 2-3mpg hit I see before tires are broken in, and you're easily at 10mpg.

Unfortunately, unless one logs ambient data with mileage records, one can't factor that into perceptions. I suggest you review the weather record for the time period of ±1 week of when the tires were changed and see if you can identify a noteworthy drop in temps. Temperature drops are usually accompanied by increased defroster use, which has a hit to mpg too.

Steve

11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Probably the Fuel Max version?

12. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There is an article on Tire Rack.com explaining new tires of the same type can show as high as x% less MPG. I forget the value of X, but it's because the rubber is thicker and other things. Not to mention the many otehr variables this time of year, and alignment, brakes dragging etc

Bisco ...isn't it spelled tires? y the y:confused:

13. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    …it's always been spelled "tyres" where I come from, and where the colours of the Union Flag¹ are red white and blue!

¹ the Union Jack being the name of the flag-staff from which the Union Flag is flown ;)

14. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I miss that flag up here. Liked the look.

I'm not so sure that a good LRR tire will initially drop your mpg, for sure not markedly. My experience with EP20 on a previous car, they were good right from the start. And I've read similar accounts re Fuel Saver A/S: first tank better.

This is not cheering up the OP I'm sure. Bit of a mystery. All I can think still is it's weather, driving variations. Hopefully will recover.

15. DKTVAV

DKTVAV Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I don't know about Michelin Fuel Savers but I got the same problem low MPG with my Ecopia 422 (not plus) a little more than a year ago. I bought them at Costco and at only 1,200 miles I did a Re-balance and Rotation (Free of charge) with no question asked even they recommend at every 7,500 miles: it was like day and night. The ride got smoother and the MPG jumped right back and more than before.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the only thing separating y and i is you.:p

17. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would look at balance, alignment and to a degree break in period.

If your balance and alignment are good? Then you might expect a degree of improvement with break in.

Michelin Fuel Savers have an excellent reputation.
    I'd be hard pressed to believe it was the tires themselves.

18. Mikey The Mailman

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    They did the balance, they did alignment check which was still good.

Is it possible it has to do with computer system? or something they or I missed? One Toyota dealership said to check mass air flow sensor to see if its dirty which I doubt because I had excellent MPG the moment before new tires.

#18 Mikey The Mailman, Dec 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2015
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  19. DKTVAV

DKTVAV Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    How many miles on them?

This might not be related to tires but just wonder you have anything blocking the air vent of the battery in the rear seat behind you?

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    check your wheel temps after driving to make sure one of the brakes isn't rubbing. shouldn't be too hot to touch. i'm just trying to think of what they might have messed with whilst changing the tyres.
    did you get the tyres from a toyota dealer?

dborn likes this.