1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

So Long Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Venturer, Dec 4, 2005.

1. Venturer

Venturer New Member

We have Sienna XLE Limited in our garage this weekend and our 05 Tideland is at the dealer. We will decide by tomorrow which one to keep. So far, the mini is everything we remembered it to be. Wonderful heated seats with a much more comfortable sitting position, tilt & telescopeing steering wheel, (wife is short & I'm tall) better visability (being higher up), quieter & smoother ride with the 17" wheels, backseat DVD for the grandkids and much more. We'll go for a drive today to see how it is in the fresh snow. Anyone in WI looking for a low mileage 05 with navigation, upgraded tires, window tinting and full seat covers ??? I know where there might be one tomorrow.

Doug :)

2. habel

habel New Member

Judging by the title of this thread, it seems to me your mind is already made up. ;)

3. GreenMachine

GreenMachine New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Why not wait for the hybrid version as long as you are gonna drop and extra 10Gs or so? That 19city/27highway gas mileage is gonna get under your skin pretty soon after the Prius, I would guess.

It does sound like a great choice for a minivan.

4. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    im sure there are a lot of reasons for your decision, but having something for the grandchildren sounds like you make not be doing this for reasons i would choose. do your grandchildren live with you? do you frequently need the extra space?

unfortunately, the price of gas has dropped, we still dont have a viable energy program for the future, we still dont have nearly the money needed to maintain the current one or build for the future, and it appears that everyone has already forgotten about economy...

wouldnt be surprised to hear about an increase in SUV sales.

what the government should have done is took half the decrease in gas prices and put it into a program that developed alternative green sources like solar and wind...

(expletive)... its like all that pain we went through this past summer was for naught...didnt learn a thing

5. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The Prius isn't for everyone. Maybe what's needed is an HSD equipped mini van?

6. GreenMachine

GreenMachine New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Doug, I just read all of your posts from day one. Sure can't say you didn't give it "the old college try". Seems like you have had problems from day one and never have seen your Prius as any more than a way to get around.

I applaud you for sticking with it as long as you have. :)

7. Venturer

Venturer New Member

I thought about waiting for the Hybred Minivan, but I was disappointed in what little gain the HSD Highlander got that I suspect the van would be similar. Not worth the price difference. Much of the Prius economy comes from its aerodynamic design and weight. Adding the HSD to other models without redesign and weight loss won't be as effective. Dave: I wouldn't get the DVD for the grandkids. This Sienna is an 05 that was driver by the dealers wife for 5 months and happens to have it. I may price out a Town & Country before deciding what to do. Before the Prius, we had 2 Chrysler T & Cs with very good results. The local Toyota dealer also has the Chrysler line. It has some features that the Sienna doesn't offer.

I think the Prius is a great automobile for most people, but not for us.

Doug

8. mt77

mt77 New Member

Went to test drive(ride, I can't drive) the Prius the other day and coming from a Sienna it sure does feel different. First thing I noticed was the headroom in the back, a little lacking no? Second was the ride was rougher. Thrid was the increased noise from the ICE due to the CVT(higher revs). Legroom was alright though(Camry like). And as usual, the salesman had limited knowledge of the Prius(couldn't figure out why SKS wouldn't work, he put the fob in the dash and disabled it without knowing). Overall I felt it to be lacking a few things for a $27,000 (fully loaded 05). I'm sticking to the Sienna that we got for $29,000 out the door. Not saying the Prius is bad though, just doesn't meet our needs.

Might have to wait for the 2008 model year for that.

Noticed you got a Limited, might want to do the laser cruise protection mod to prevent any road derbis from causing an expensive repair.

~MT77

9. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

If you're looking for room for the grandkids, etc. then I'd recommend the Sienna. While I am getting a Prius I don't see using it for the family too often. Three car/booster seats is pushing it in the Prius. For family trips we will still continue to use our Volvo XC90 because it can seat 7 very comfortably.

The Prius is a wonderful car for what it does, but it IS limited in room. Now don't everyone post about how they packed six peole, a canoe, and thirteen full-grown labradors into their Prius and everyone was comfortable. We have two large SUV's, I know what roomy is. THe Prius is spacious for what it tis, but it is small.

If you only occasionally have the grandkids, and you would rather get the milage, then keep teh rius, otherwise the Sienna is the better choice.

10. Venturer

Venturer New Member

We took the Sienna to church and my wife said I shouln't have let her ride in it. After she drove it awhile, she said we were not taking it back, so I guess we empty out the Prius tomorrow. I wish it had 6 way power on the passenger seat instead of just 2 way. I will have to raise the front of the seat like I had to do on the Prius. Also would have liked the drivers seat memory option. One of the things my wife won't do without, is a cassette player. She listens to a lot of books on tape from the local library. She has not had good luck with books on CD. It appears that 05 was the last year for a cassette player in the Toyota and the Town & Country higher end models. Probably not enough people using them.
    I've enjoyed all of the info that is passed around on this board. Some, here, are more than passionate about a 2700# hunk of high tech steel, rubber glass and plastic called a Prius, but each to his own. Even though the Prius was not our cup of tea, I can see how some people think it is the greatest. Good Luck to all of you.

Doug

11. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The Sienna's a really nice van, but I'd look at a Honda Odyssey before I buy it. i've driven both, and liked the Odyssey a lot more.

12. Stevep

Stevep Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I had a Dodge Grand Caravan before I bought the Prius. I still have the van, but usually only use it when we have to many passengers to fit into the Prius comfortably. I will not get rid of the van. It is fun to drive and will use it on trips, due to the larger stowage space. It also has a super comfortable ride. Granted, it only gets 20 MPG (17K miles), but life is full of tradeoffs. I enjoy driving both vbehicles and until there is a hybrid van that gets great mileage like the Prtius, I will keep, and enjoy both.

13. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You had a tough choice to make, and it sounds like you made the right one.

As I'm single with usually nothing more than a plump housecat to transport around, for that matter a Honda Insight would have worked just fine for me. For me, the Prius meets my expectations of good fuel economy, ease of city parking, and proven safety features.

I've gone for rides in a co-workers Sienna (2003? 2004 model?) and like the room, comfort, and nice ride. They have 3 kids so they need the room.

Overall, about the only thing that regularly disappoints me about my Prius is the bone jarring ride quality. For example, my hobby farm is about 4.5 km down a gravel sideroad off the highway. In summer the road quickly gets washboardy, and if I don't slow down to 20 km/h, my fillings vibrate.

I wish I could run my Yokohoma Ice Guard winter tires year round. They ride so nice and soft it spoils me.

14. altaskier

altaskier New Member

I saw (not heard - stealth mode) one drive by in Japan last summer, made by Toyota. Don't know when they're going to bring it out here. I would be very surprised if they used HSD for performance rather than economy on a minivan; not to many hot-rodders drive minivans.

15. Tomel

Tomel New Member

I agree with SW03ES. Check out the Honda Odyssey. Of course, I'm going the opposite way. I've got an '00 Odyssey that I'll be trying to sell as soon as my '06 Prius comes in (after 12/31, of course). No complaints at all with the Odyssey, which I liked better than the Sienna at the time I purchased it. Have just decided to go more economical. Have a Honda CRV for my mountain biking, kayaking, fishing, 4WD, etc., requirements and the Prius for everything else.

16. storm petrol

storm petrol Member

44 degrees, 42 minutes North; 73 degrees, 29 minu
    Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Dave,

It is great to see the support you are getting from this group of staunch Prius folks.

We have driven an Oddyssey since '97 and love the car (we have a '99 currently.) Our second- born will graduate from college this year and it has been amazingly perfect for trucking the considerable amount of stuff the hundreds of miles that undergraduate studies have involved.

I believe that one of the main reasons the Highlander HSV does not get better mileage is due to an engineered emphasis on performance. This seems to be the current and future trend of hybridization for the US market--power and exhilaration. If you check the zero to sixty specs, I think you will find the hybrid Highlander is faster than the ICE-only version. Same with the Honda Accord. By using the improved torque from an electric motor you can get off faster without increasing the size of the ICE. And you get somewhat better mileage.

If consumers will just continue to let the manufacturers know that the carnival ride, 'whee' factor is less significant to them then saving fossil fuels and supporting oil corporations and wahabists by buying Saudi oil, in a few years you may be able to buy a Sienna that gets great gas mileage too.

Meantime, enjoy your grandchildren. You will do everything in your power to ensure that they have a safe and secure future.

storm petrol

17. Venturer

Venturer New Member

Thank you for the comments. I looked at the Honda, but did not drive one. The reason being that my Toyota dealer had his wifes 05 Sienna Limited available with the Certified rating including an 8 year or 100,000 mile drive train warrantee. The reduced price and the fact that 05 is the last year of a cassette player in the minivans, made the deal come out to the same as if I had not bought the Prius and purchased the Sienna when it was new. It actually has a better warrantee than if it was new. The fact that I couldn't pry me wifes hands off of the steering wheel had a lot to do with it too. She was staying with the car so if I wanted to keep eating her home made bread and chocolate chip cookies, I had to buy it. She baked me 5 loafs last night and promised cookies soon.

Doug

18. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Doug:

Wow you married guys must have it good. If I don't bake/cook it myself, I have to go to a restaurant and buy it.

I've tried to teach my plump lazy housecat to cook, but no luck so far.

jay

19. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good luck with the Sienna. It's an awesome minivan. I can understand the need for more space. While my '03 Prius was fine for me, and commuting, when it came to carrying passengers, it really was a bit too small. If anyone were to ride with my friends, they would instantly understand why I insist on being the driver. Add to this, the fact that my Mother has Scoleosis, as well as arthritis settling in, it made getting in and out of the car extremely difficult for her. Then there's my two big white hair hand gernades. After 60,700 miles, the compromises simply started getting old. For me though, the though of totally abandoning having a hybrid was out of the question, so I layed down the big bux on a Ford Escape Hybrid, despite the fact I could have had a Honda Element for around $10k to $15k less.

I do wish Toyota would hurry up and get HSD across the product line more quickly.

20. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Hay I kept my Ford Explorer with 110K on it why not paid for, not going to get much use out of it so it should hold up for a while and it takes me places the Prius will not and I can tow with it. Not everyone can do that. So I drive my Prius back and forth to work and the Ford sits. We like having a third car for when one goes to the shop. I understand the need for space we needed it when the kids were growing up, and now grand kids yet. If I was there I would use it as an excuse to get headrest DVD for the back seats. My wife would not give me flack if was for kids!