1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

So many questions: new (to me) 2008 Prius

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by navguy12, Jan 20, 2012.

1. navguy12

navguy12 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello from a new to the Prius crowd guy.

I'm in the process of switching from my 2007 Civic Hybrid to a 2008 Prius. I should have the 2008 Prius by 31 Jan 2012. I'll get a few shots of it posted when I have it in my possession.....

It's white with a grey interior, has 14,016 km's (!) and includes a Toyota 3 year, 60,000 km 'comprehensive protection package'.

First blush questions to get my new Prius set-up like my Civic is/was:

• I'm looking for a winter tire/plain steel wheel package:
      • The car has 'tire pressure warning system'. If my winter tire/wheels do not have the sensor, any issues other than the glowing warning lamp "Tire pressure"?
      • What tire size, brand, etc is my best bet for fuel economy, price point, winter grip, etc?
    • Is there a web site that Toyota has set up to get parts, etc over the internet?
    • What is the measurement of the fully open hatch edge to the ground (i.e. what is the minimum ceiling height required for one to fully open the hatch and not touch the ceiling of the garage, etc)?
    • I installed aftermarket HIDs (off E-bay) in the Civic 4 years ago with little fan-fare and would like to do the same for the '08 Prius (Halogen 60/55 bulbs):
      • Has anyone done that on the Prius?
      • What kit did you use?
      • Or do the daytime running lights use the same bulb (unlike the Civic) and thus preclude the ability to install aftermarket HIDs?
    • I had blue LED's for the footwells in the Civic. Anyone have that in the Prius and if so, what kit did you use?
    • Shop manuals. I have a full set of manuals for the Civic (now obsolete for me) and want the same detail for the Prius. I have seen some CD-ROM stuff on E-Bay that seems to be Toyota labeled. What do folks here use for shop manuals?
    • Sirius Satellite Radio. I am removing the portable unit from the Civic and will install in the Prius:
      • Where is the best place to mount the antenna?
      • Where do people mount the portable unit (see attached photo of current set-up)?
    • I see on the US EPA site that the tested mileage is 4.9L/100km city and 5.2L/100km highway. I learned all the tricks to drive my Civic better than its EPA estimates (I ignore Transport Canada ratings as no actual dyno tests are involved):
      • Is there anyone who has experience with the Civic as well as the Prius and can briefly explain the major (fuel economy centric) driving technique differences between the two?
    I welcome any experience and insights that folks can pass on. Looking forward to re-learning how to drive to maximize economy (fuel) potential.
    And I'm really looking forward to the fold down rear seats and hatch-back.

Thanks

Cheers

Mike

Attached Files:

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    You are in Canada, so filter your replies: As an example it is illegal in the US to sell HID Headlights for a car that did not come with HIDs and uses the stock wiring. Does that apply in Canada? No Idea.

So far as I know, the warning light is the only impact of nonTPMS wheels.

3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Pleasedo not install HIDs into your OEM reflector housings. They are not designed for HIDs so all they will do is scatter bright light everywhere which results in blinding other drivers as well as cutting down on your own distance Vision because you are throwing too much light right in front of the car (foreground). I've done this same mod years ago but a bit of research showed why I never achieved good results and why people loved to flash their lights at me. It's not only illegal, it's unsafe and at the very least it makes you look like a part of the ricer crowd or one of the redneck asses who thinks its cool to put these kits in a large lifted truck.

4. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    There are no printed service manuals for Gen II, however, the Bentley manual is an excellent resource, falling in between a Chiltons/Haynes and the factory service manual in content.

The main difference between a Prius and an HCH is that you will want to use pulse and glide in the Pruis. The engine will turn itself while the car is moving under certain circumstances, even at highways speeds. There is a ton of information here if you search for it.

5. navguy12

navguy12 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Guys....

How do I set my settings so that when someone reply's to a thread that I have chatted in, my hotmail account gets an e-note to tell me to come look at this site (right now I'm flying blind, sorry).....

No idea either, but based on the other reply's, I'll keep the headlights stock.

OK, I'll check it out.
    I've also used the pulse and glide in the HCH, mainly on secondary roads (off the 401).

Can anyone tell me the height of the open hatch on the '08 Prius please? It will let me know if a major change in my garage set-up must be implemented. Much thanks

Thanks

Cheers

Mike

6. navguy12

navguy12 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  7. navguy12

navguy12 Member

Vehicle: