1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

So Many Suckers So Little Time

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by hycamguy07, Feb 22, 2007.

1. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I responded to a call of a possible fraud case (I can discuss it ie no names, and it was just for information)

College graduate Woman: places online add for Nanny service
    Man: answers add, and they online chat for 3wks.
    Man: finally sends woman $5000.00 in five seperate cashiers bank checks from Africa.
    Man: tells woman he has sent her the money for "future nanny services". Man is in Africa & is supposedly going to send is son to the woman for her to care for.
    Man: asks woman to send him $2000.00 for plane ticket as he has just sent another five checks totalling another $5000.00
    Woman: sends the money & then goes out on spending spree w/friends because she's rich, because she's recieved a total of $10k now deposited in bank, total of 10 cashiers checks....

Three days later, credit card maxed out & bank calls to say the checks are no good......
    woman: is embarassed and waits 7 months to report the incident.....
    You can see where this is going right?

Its a shame so many scammers get away with what they do..

Comments?

2. livelychick

livelychick Missin' My Prius

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It's unbelievable how gullible folks are. I feel sorry for her on one hand, but there's the mean small part of me that says she got what she deserved. But that's the small, mean part.

I've heard about similar scams. Apparently, many of them are government sanctioned. (Can't remember the country, but it's in Africa...)

3. desynch

desynch Die-Hard Conservative

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusguy04 @ Feb 22 2007, 07:08 PM) [snapback]394870[/snapback]</div>
    Are you an Officer?

4. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(livelychick @ Feb 22 2007, 06:13 PM) [snapback]394872[/snapback]</div>
    Nigeria. The same folks who send you that email saying only you can be trusted with a large sum of money from...

5. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    She is lucky she is not in California. Here she would been arrested and charged with uttering forged checks.

6. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(livelychick @ Feb 22 2007, 06:13 PM) [snapback]394872[/snapback]</div>
    Lively~

Yes the Nigerian Scams, most target (older people) as they are more trusting due to they didnt have to deal with these things, and people were taken at their word..

Hackers, scammers & skimmers I guess really became known in the 90's ie hacking AOL customers accounts ect. I mean there have always been scam artists. More so now with the ease of the internet.

I had another scammer target a business, same type of deal online throught email the scammer answered a add for yoga lessons..... and sent the check for 5k & again asked for 1k back to pay for the trip over from england..... That was a red flag for the business to report it.

Im not going to say its impossible to catch these people, but they do move quickly & must make a decent living of of victimizing others..

Ive seen legitimate people place adds on the net asking people to donate money so they can buy a car.. I'll be dammed, people will send the money!. The poster has not broken any laws.

I work in small town usa, we still get our share of crime just not like the big cities.. :mellow:
    I get to case cows 2-3 times a week when the get loose. :rolleyes:

Theres one big city to the north, that finds homeless people and gives them a bus ticket to south Fla. :lol: :lol:

Thats crazy! I guess they figure they're out of their hair so who cares.. :angry:

7. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Feb 22 2007, 03:21 PM) [snapback]394877[/snapback]</div>
    Uh, you mean I'm not going to be rich by helping that relative of a deceased Nigerian businessman? Oh crap, better go and see if I can beg to get my job back.

http://www.419eater.com/

8. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Feb 22 2007, 06:23 PM) [snapback]394878[/snapback]</div>
    Yes same here too, how ever they have to prove she intentinally wrote bad checks.

I had a guy that got mad at a friend because a check bounced the buddy wrote the check in good faith so the mad complaintant has to go to small claims court to get restitution..

here tennant / landlordissues have to be dealt with in court not by the police.

Say you've got a lover living with you for any amount of time and you break up. then while your at work they come back and take all their stuff and leave.. has a burglary taken place? Nope

Say you lend your car to a trusted freind & they do not return it untill the next day or the next cpl of days.
    Is it a stolen vehicle? Nope

Say a freind is down on thier luck the mrs's has kicked him out you invite him to stay over nite.
    He has his mail forwarded to your home, he then refuses to leave. Can you call the police to have him removed? yeppers, but they will arrive and tell you, you'll have to go to court and have him evicted before they can act.

funny isnt it?

Dude your signature.. :lol: :lol:
    Now I did ask the woman, if she thought it was strange that an unknown man was willing to send his child from africa to the US so she would watch him? She replied well yeah, but the man sent the money so she thought it was legit.....

9. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusguy04 @ Feb 22 2007, 04:04 PM) [snapback]394900[/snapback]</div>
    No, uttering is passing - as in cashing or depositing - a bad check, not making or signing it. True, the prosecution does have to prove that person knew that the checks were bad when the checks were cashed or deposited, but that rarely stops our district attorney from filing such charges in similar situations. They often argue the speed with which the money was withdrawn proves the guilty knowledge (i.e., all spent or withdrawn before the bank finds out that the checks are bad).

10. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Feb 22 2007, 07:24 PM) [snapback]394912[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, I tell everyone if they recieve a check, money order, cashiers check ect. call or go by your bank and ask if its good if the check is from another state they normally can find out with in 10-20 mins if its good or not.

If we have a person that writes 3 or four bad checks on an account that is closed, then hell yeah they are arrested and the case is turned over to the SAO. however we've had people write a check and ask that it be held till a certain date like for paying a power bill and the company deposits it early the check was written in good faith that the funds would be there on the specified date..
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    The woman listed in the 1st post above went on her spending spree with a credit card, thinking she could just pay the money back after the checks cleared... Is she the victim in this case? yes

Another case that has been closed:

Man: goes shopping at a national retail store, charges his items on his credit card.
    Bank: calls man a week later to inquire about purchases made in another state.
    Man: states he has not left the state nor has he made any online purchases with his card.
    Bank: charges reached $500.00 (limit set by bank, as an unusual purchase amount).
    Who's the victim? The man or the bank??

If you said the Bank your correct As they have insurance that covers fruadulent use of a credit card.. ;)
    They will normally replace the missing money after a police report has been filed, because they know if you lie on a sworn statement you get to take the ride.... <_< Plus the banks have thier own fruad investigators that work over state lines easyer than agencies...

11. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Also, a common eBay scam I heard about, for you eBay sellers:

Variation one:
    Con artist bids way above and beyond price what you're selling. Sends cashier's (or "certified", or even just a regular) check. Of course check is phony.

Variation two:
    Con artist bids on item. Sends you a check for much more than he bid (often adding "an extra zero by mistake"). Asks you to send back the difference. Guess what happens!

12. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Feb 22 2007, 07:52 PM) [snapback]394922[/snapback]</div>
    There you go! :)

Another one happens around X-Mass time, ebay,
    You: sell an item Xbox360 ect.
    person: sends you a check. (good check)
    You: send the item to the persons listed address.
    person: stops payment on check.
    You: lose money & item,
    You: report to police.
    person: fake name (idenity theft) or bogus address.

13. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Feb 22 2007, 07:52 PM) [snapback]394922[/snapback]</div>
    That's why you don't send item or refund or anything until checks clear. I tell buyers minium two weeks but I'll often wait a little longer if I'm suspicious. I'll wait until I'm sure money is in the bank.

14. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    You should all go over to zug.com and read some of the stuff they have their... They had a guy who tried to "scam the scammer" once, it was freaking hilarious to read the e-mail exchange.

Their most famous scam is, of course, the "p-p-p-powerbook scam" - http://www.zug.com/pranks/powerbook/

15. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Feb 23 2007, 09:44 AM) [snapback]395140[/snapback]</div>
    Long read, but worth it!!!! :lol: :lol: :)