1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

So my 2 month old car went completely dead…

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by prius_amy, Nov 27, 2023.

1. prius_amy

prius_amy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have a ‘23 XSE Prime with barely 2000 miles on it. Just took it on a roadtrip this past Friday (about 300 miles round trip). Got home safely without incident, parked it in the driveway and plugged it in to charge. Woke up the next morning to go to work and found it completely dead. Fob wasn’t responding, car didn’t turn on, couldn’t even get the charging cord disconnected because I couldn’t unlock it. I ended up having the car towed to my local dealer with ToyotaCare roadside assistance. Unfortunately they couldn’t fix the issue that day and closed for the weekend so my car is still there today. Just got this text message from them so who knows what will happen. Will keep you all posted. Also wondering, anyone else have something like this happen?

Attached Files:

otatrant, Gokhan and bisco like this.
  2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    The only thing more disappointing than a brand new car that has to go to the shop - is brand new car in the shop & they can't easily figure out what it is. Welcome to many people's experience with new tech including yours truly. Here's to hoping they figured out sooner than later.

3. prius_amy

prius_amy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yep, exactly. I was really hoping it was just a bad 12V battery but seems the mystery only deepens. Sorry to hear you are also having issues.

4. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Someone posted a similar issue with their new Prius a few months back. Did you or the dealership install any aftermarket electronics? A lot of dealerships install aftermarket trackers into their cars to prevent thief. Perhaps that's what's drawing down the battery. That's just a guess. According to the text, all they did was recharge the 12 VDC battery, under the hood.

I hope they figure it out

Louis19 likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I hope it’s just a defective 12 volt, and they’re too stupid to know it

prius_amy likes this.
  6. prius_amy

prius_amy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks, me too. I did not install any electronics but I will ask them about the tracker thing and see if it’s something they are overlooking. Would be awesome if it was something simple like that.

7. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Looks pretty obvious to me. The monster sized cat was probably turning the lights on and off trying to get someone's attention to let him out. No litter in there....

Wiyosaya, FuelMiser and douglasjre like this.
  8. Mr.Vanvandenburg

Mr.Vanvandenburg Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Not as bad as your incident, but it’s good to carry a small jump starter. I am surprised the tow service didn’t jump start it. There is a mechanical key. I assume the hood latch hasn’t gone electronic?

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    battery is in the hatch, but the same reasoning applies

10. Doug McC

Doug McC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    My fears are we are beginning to see the Toyota becoming the next version of the late 1970’s Chrysler Corporation.

11. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Lovely cat!

If the battery deep-discharged even only once, I would ask it to be replaced. Flooded lead–acid batteries don't take deep discharges well.

You didn't accidentally leave the car in the ACC mode or with the lights on overnight, right? If no such thing happened, then the battery did not charge during the road trip, which would be very strange.

Doug McC likes this.
  12. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That would be for her original 2013, not this 2023.

13. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    The Gen 5 12-V battery is in the right corner of the trunk with a drain hose attached.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's back in the hatch

15. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I am guessing that the OP—coming from a long road trip and being very tired as a result—might have accidentally left the car in the ACC mode overnight. This would drain the battery. Pressing the on/off button twice instead of once would do that. I always double-check to see if the car is off before I leave. Since Priuses are silent cars, it is very easy to accidentally leave them in the ACC mode or even in the READY mode. This could also be very dangerous with the exhaust fumes filling the garage and house when the engine eventually kicks in after the HEV/PHEV battery is depleted if left in the READY mode.

#15 Gokhan, Nov 27, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2023
  16. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Will u provide result when discovered

17. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They moved it again?

18. CruisnGrrl

CruisnGrrl Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Surprised they towed it like that, I was told by the dealer that the car had to be on a flatbed because of the regenerative braking. It's quite possible that the tow company further damaged your car.

daisy555 likes this.
  19. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    The electric system is only on the front wheels. It's only those you mustn't be spinning while towing.

If it was an AWD model, then towing like that would not be appropriate - electrics on the rear wheels too.

Section 7.2 of the US non-Prime manual makes the FWD/AWD distinction. Section 8.2 of the US Prime manual just covers the FWD case - don't spin the front wheels.

I can imagine your dealer having a simple "always flatbed for hybrids" rule just to keep it simple and prevent error.

front.PNG rear.png donttow.png

#19 KMO, Nov 28, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2023
    mountaineer likes this.
  20. Gwyd

Gwyd Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Jeez, you are always so quick to blame the user for everything. These are mechanical things and *can* break without user error. It's no secret the Primes have had 12v battery issues - why wouldn't you assume that well known issue is the problem instead of jumping all over the user? You really think everyone is stupid - except you and your car of course.

I'd bet there were several trips to the car and back to get luggage and other belongings, during which time they would have noticed the car running or the dash lights were on.

Besides - and correct me if I'm wrong - but does the Prime even turn on when it's plugged in? If it does, I assume it would only be in EV mode which means it doesn't need the 12v for anything, therefore it couldn't have drained it.

douglasjre and Trollbait like this.