1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

So My 2001 Prius (Gen I) HV Battery Died The Other Day...

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by czyfrme, Oct 28, 2013.

1. czyfrme

czyfrme Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Let me preface my thread with some info. I'm 32/F. My Prius is a Gen I (2001), I bought it third-party with 83.5K miles in 2007. It has 215.6K miles on it today. I just put new tires and new struts on her this year. The CEL has been on for a couple years with P0420 (catconv bad). Don't judge me. :whistle:

Ok so...

Sunday Oct 12 (2013):
    We had just pulled into a parking slot at our community park to practice some softball when the Christmas Tree Dashboard Lights of Hell came on --- "Triangle of Death", "CEL" (of course) and "PROBLEM" warning on the MFD. I limp-mode-ed home and pulled the codes with my Craftsman OBDII --- P0420, P0171 (MAF Sensor bad), and THEN P3006 (HV Batt SOC Uneven). Ok. :censored: So after having a few massive cows (my Prius was supposed to last at least 3 more years, until I have my house paid off and can buy a new Prius), I started reading on these wonderful threads about the DT codes and how people have fixed their own HV batteries. This gave me the confidence to try and wrangle this thing myself. I like to think I have some technical inclination, I like to take things apart and fix them (but never anything that carried 270VDC+), so... I gave it a shot - I'll be damned if I'm giving my local stealership $3500 for a new HV batt + install.

With the help of many hours of watching YouTube videos on how to get an HV battery out of the car and replace a module, I got to work. I took my battery out of my car (by myself, ugh, 100#+ it was heavy) and set it on (2) solid CMU blocks so I could access the module mounting bolts. I tested each module with my multi-meter and found that #19 (from the non-ECU side) read 6.64V. The others ranged in voltage from 7.91-7.82. I know this is sort of a blind guestimate to their quality; I don't have the equipment or time to measure their capacities by charging and discharging them.

I ordered a replacement module from eBay and waited patiently. I also ordered a new MAF sensor and air filters, which I replaced easily. I spent more money using other people's cars and filling up their gas tanks than I did on a replacement module. lol. Once it arrived I took it out and measured the voltage. It matched the exact reading of the one it would be paired with (7.61V) - I took this as a sign from the car battery gods and hoped for the best.

I removed the existing mods and replaced the bad one with the one I bought on eBay, put the mods back in, and put everything back together. I had my partner help me put the battery back in the car and hooked it all back up to everything. I did not balance the battery ("Ain't nobody got time for that." lol. Seriously though, I know it's recommended). I hooked the 12V aux batt back up and the overhead lights came on. I turned the key one click and nothing, turned it another click to the "aux" position and the dash lit up like normal, after a minute or two (which seemed like forever) of robotic servo noises from the car/HV batt, it quieted... <heart pounding> then I turned the key to start it................ and nothing happened. And by nothing, I mean it started normally and no warning lights came on!

I sat there shaking with adrenaline for a moment or two and then put it in "D"... no warning lights. I drove her around the block about 2 miles... no warning lights. The next day I tightened down the battery mounting bolts and drove her 40mph, 50mph, 60mph... no warning lights. Today (Oct 28th 2013) I drove her to work for the first time in 2 weeks... still with no warning lights. I am hoping to remain warning light free... for at least another 60K.

So... I want to thank everyone on this forum who has posted about rebuilding their HV batteries - you provided a lot of insight and confidence; and so far saved me a lot of money.

To see the pictures of my battery adventure you can access them via my Facebook page: Leslie Hopkins | Facebook

Thanks again,

Leslie (y)

2. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Good job Leslie. Love to hear stories like this. Let's keep these Gen I's going. :)

czyfrme likes this.
  3. scotman27

scotman27 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    You go leslie! Thats awesome that you work on your own cars. I had to do it to my battery also. so far so good but ill be replacing it in the spring with modules from gen 3 hopefully. i love my car and want to hang on to it for awhile. I would recommend investing in a scangauge 2. i have one and can read my block voltages and which block is highest and lowest. will also read codes and clear them if need be. Hopefully it will last you for a while. Way to go!!(y)

czyfrme likes this.
  4. czyfrme

czyfrme Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One

Thanks scotman27. Your thread "while i have the HV battery out of my gen1" is one of the threads that educated me on tackling this project myself... so, thank you! (y)

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Congrats on the excellent work!

It may not be realistic for you to expect that the other 37 battery modules will continue to perform for another 60K miles, but you now know what to do if another module fails. At some point, since you want to keep your 2001 for at least 3 more years, you may decide to upgrade all of the battery modules to G2 or G3 units.

Its also outstanding that you plan to have your house paid off in your mid-30s - not many can achieve that financial goal so early in life.

czyfrme likes this.
  6. 3prongpaul

3prongpaul Hybrid Shop Owner, worked on 100's of Prius's

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Leslie, I hope you remember the steps you did and are willing to repeat because at some point (days/weeks/months) the battery will most likely crap out again and you'll get to play whack a mole.

But if you have the time to tinker you can keep the car running for quite a while just replacing the "bad" modules.
    The good news is each time you pull the pack out and apart you get better/faster at doing it.

czyfrme likes this.
  7. scotman27

scotman27 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Leslie. yeah it was a tedious process but worth it but i know im going to have to replace it. its getting weak. I'm glad me , bob and the others could educate you and help you out regarding this. these are great little cars. i put it this way. would you rather dump a couple grand into a gen 1 prius to keep it going. or spend 20k to 40k on another hybrid to get possibly 5 to 10 mpg more and make 300 to 500 dollar a month payments(lose gas savings) for years to come. at 300 a month thats 3600 a year! thats a traction battery rebuilt with gen2 or gen3 cells and a new mg2 or used inverter for our gen 1 prius's.

Not saying the new cars are not nice or anything and dont get me wrong, its tempting but i look at it from that perspective.

czyfrme, Linda L and bwilson4web like this.
  8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Great story. (y) As Paul says, you might be back in there again before 60K, but with your resourcefulness your car probably won't throw anything at you that you can't tackle.

Um, do I have to be signed up on Facebook to see your adventure? Some of us are still resisting, you know....

-Chap

czyfrme and bwilson4web like this.
  9. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I'm with Chapman on avoiding facebook. I had an account but it took weeks to finally get the account killed. After several months, the SPAM load finally tapered off.

Bob Wilson

10. czyfrme

czyfrme Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    For the non-Facebookers. (I didn't know that it was possible not to have a FB account. ;) J/K) I hope this post isn't too huge.

101413_1.jpg Plug of Doom

101413_5.jpg Empty trunk/12V batt disconnected
    101413_6.jpg Seat removed/battery exposed
    101513_8.jpg Hit the bumper with the battery when I removed it - oops
    101513_9.jpg Battery removed, sitting on 2 solid CMU blocks for access of the module hold-down mounting bolts on bottom (subsequently in the background - seats and all the crap that was in my trunk <sigh>)
    101513_11.jpg Battery, lid off
    101513_13.jpg Bad module measuring 6.64V 102313_15.jpg Module replacement

Then reverse the process.

11. czyfrme

czyfrme Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Yep, that post was huge. Sorry. I dragged the corners to make them small while I was uploading but I guess it didn't listen to me. Lemme know if you want me to resize them.

12. Aaron Vitolins

Aaron Vitolins Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Absolutely great write up! This gives me more confidence in the possibility of owning a gen 1 Prius in the future.

What was the most difficult part of this process? Other than lifting out that heavy battery.
    I think this is one of the best threads on this forum regarding repairing the Prius battery, its so clear and easy to understand.. Thank you!

czyfrme likes this.
  13. czyfrme

czyfrme Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One

Thank you for the compliment. :)

The most difficult part of this process MENTALLY for me was turning the key after I re-assembled everything. I just KNEW that my car was going to blow up and I was going to die after ALL that work I had done. :ROFLMAO: Obviously, that didn't happen.

The most difficult part of this process ANNOYINGLY for me was undoing all the flipping bolts that hold the battery modules in. And then once re-assembled, getting the battery pack perfectly aligned in the car was a P.I.T.A. - a two-person maneuver.

Otherwise, this is not a hard project. It's time consuming, but not hard.

It would have been a LOT more tolerable if the module had chosen a better time to fail other than in the middle of DEAD WINTER when it was 0 to 20F EVERY DAY. :mad:

14. czyfrme

czyfrme Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    UPDATE:

• Dec2013: I had another module fail around Christmas Eve (about 2 months after the initial module failure and replacement). Luckily I was on shut-down at work, so I didn't need my car. I took the pack out, replaced the bad module and off I went again.

• Feb2014: My car was "acting funny" again. I feel so connected to my car after servicing the battery pack the first time, that whenever it "feels weird" to me, I know it's about to do something crazy. lol. I took the "lid" off the pack, measured the individual modules and noticed I had 2 high voltages in the same block... so I took the pack out and rearranged the modules in a more even distribution of voltages.

• Mar 4, 2014: Turned over 220,000 miles. :)

030414_small.jpg

• Mar 15, 2014: I may or may not have left my door ajar after I got done vacuuming my car and it sat there for about 16hrs, so I had to replace the 12V Aux Batt ($190 @ O'Reilly's p/n: 'PRIUS'). After some hacking and shoving, I got the batt in. It's not a match to the OEM, so it took some modification. The terminals are swapped on this one. And... back on the road. (y)
    • Mar 23, 2014: Replaced the cassette deck with a "new" (salvaged) one off of eBay because my original clicked when it played tapes... and by tapes I mean my .mp3 cassette adapter. lol.

bwilson4web and Aaron Vitolins like this.
  15. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Does your car burn oil?

16. czyfrme

czyfrme Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One

I don't know. I take it to Plaza Tire and they do their magic changing the oil and rotating the tires. :barefoot:

They've never mentioned anything about burning oil.

17. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    AutoZone changes oil?

How long (miles or months) do you go between oil changes? You should really be checking your oil about every thousand miles at this point in your cars life. I'm not saying that to berate you but to help you avoid a bad situation. At 220kmiles, your car is likely burning oil. If it burns a quart every 2k, and you do 5k oil changes, you will be 2.5 quarts low everytime you change oil. running your car that low on oil will cause exponential wear on your engine. AutoZone (or any other oil change facility) will not know your low on oil because they don't check it before they empty it. You simply pull in and they pull the plug and drain the oil thats in there (usually an 18yo kid). Then the change the filter, replace the plug, and fill it up. I emphatically encourage you to begin checking oil level every 1kmiles until you get a good feel for how much oil its burning (or not burning). I suspect at this mileage, your at least burning a quart every 2k.

18. czyfrme

czyfrme Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Crap, I meant Plaza Tire. I changed my post above. Sorry. lol.

I change oil and rotate tires every 5K. Thank you for the advice... I will start checking on it !! (y)

usnavystgc likes this.
  19. Aaron Vitolins

Aaron Vitolins Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Thanks for the updates! Do you buy the modules off ebay? how much do you pay for them?

20. czyfrme

czyfrme Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One

Yes. And like $35-40/ea. Equivalent to a tank of gas. lol.

Aaron Vitolins likes this.