1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

So the 2009 (or 2010) Prius II doesn't have the expensive batteries?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by buck_rogers, Sep 7, 2013.

1. buck_rogers

buck_rogers Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes. I've searched :). What I found was this (can't post links yet),

12-volt-battery-for-2009-toyota-prius.127868

I'm sure I haven't searched enough, but you mean these cars use regular 12V batteries (like these in the thread)? I saw on other threads how batteries were over-hyped on prices.

But is it really true that you can by a $175 battery from Amazon and fix your car with it? The whole battery thing is the only part that keeps from buying a Prius. The "battery horror stories." Where those stories originated I do not know. There's always some guy that knows someone that spent $2000+ on a battery.

2. SteveLee

SteveLee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    You may be confusing the hybrid battery with the 12V. For practical purposes there are two battery systems, the low voltage 12 volt that is used to boot up the computer system and the high voltage (HV), hybrid battery, that powers most other things in association with the gas engine. The 12V needs replacing each 4-5 years like all cars. The HV battery has seldom needed replacing but it does happen and all will eventually need repair, remanufacturing, or replacing. Nothing lasts forever. The cost of these HV batteries is likely the source of the misinformation you describe. The price was originally pretty high but has gradually lowered over the years with more of these cars being on the road. We now have over 1.5 million in the US. Costs range from around $500 - 2,500 for anything from low age salvaged units from wrecked cars to brand new from Toyota. But again the rate of replacement of these HV batteries in the first 10 years has proven to be very low. That's because they typically live a very easy life not being allowed to undercharge or over charge. There are many better write-ups in here on the subject but the truth is the HV battery is no more likely to need replacement than other major system of other cars during the first 10 years and the replacement cost is less. There's a reason the Prius is rated as one of the most reliable cars on the road. The technology is sound.

kenoarto and Jeffrey Jessup like this.
  3. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep...all Prius have two batteries....big more expensive HV battery and more standard 12vlt battery. 12 volt battery, hundreds of dollars range....HV battery thousands of dollar range.

Shouldn't really have to worry about your HV battery for about a decade at the least.

kenoarto likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    well, there are stories about people who have spent $2,000. on the hybrid battery. that's after the 10 year 150,000 mile warranty is over. if you had to spend $2,000. on a tranny for a 10 year old gasser, would it upset you?

5. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    200-300,000 miles is common with taxi drivers