1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

So this jerk-off says...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Mystery Squid, Jul 13, 2005.

1. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

...because if I wanted to save money, I should have bought an Echo, for it's a few thousand less, for to make up for that difference in gas savings, would take a long time.

True, when you pivot the Prius around an Echo (which, as we all know, isn't even in the same class, econo-malarkey box vs. mid. sized (barely, but mid. sized nonetheless)). Might as well compare it to a scooter for that matter.

However, in a true MEANINGFUL comparison to my situation, replacing a huge gas guzzling F150, I "come out ahead" REAL QUICK.

On top of that, even if we go "outside" my situation, it should be compared to other SIMILAR vehicles, not something in a smaller class. Some people are just IDIOTS.

:cussing:

Sorry, just HAD to rant...

2. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    It is true that based on *cost* alone, an Echo is a better deal. However, based on other factors such as geek factor, comfort, features, and emissions, the Prius comes out way ahead. We've all chosen to pay for those features (intentionally or otherwise). Some people just don't think outside the financial box though.

However it is on the same token that we do have to remind many that if their *only* intention on buying a Prius is to save money on gas, there are cheaper options of that's the bottom line. Now if gas prices rise even higher, that could easily change.

3. Schmika

Schmika New Member

Squid,

A lot of people think this way. I call it "one-dimensional" thinking. It is really a lack of critical thinking. I replaced a car that got 25 mpg as my daily driver. With my now 50+mpg, effectively I can drive twice as far for the same money, OR, gas could go up to $4.40 a gallon and my cost stays the same.

But I didn't just buy the Prius because of the gas mileage in the sense of cost. Every gallon I save is one more gallon of burning fuel I don't spew pollutants from into the air.

The VSC will make this car a little safer to drive.

My NAV system will help me not get lost and waste MORE gas.

This one dimensional thinking is usually harmless until it spills over into politics and religion. Everyone wants simple answers to massively complex problems (i.e. foreign policy) and, conversely, complex answers to the simplest problems (i.e.- why do terrorists want us dead)

Karl

4. Jayhawkguy

Jayhawkguy New Member

I've been told that before & I have three answers:
    A: It's not just about MPG, it's about emissions
    B: The gas mileage IS great... I'm relying less on oil imports
    C: The price is comparable to equivalent cars I was considering. The only way the cost will be contained is if people buy them. Sorry for being socially responsible, you can thank me in a few years.

5. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    How come I can't find any information on the Echo on Toyota's website? If I do a google search, I can find lots of information and reviews about the 2005 Toyota Echo, but I can't find it on the Toyota site, either through their "Model Selector" or through the drop down list of the Vehicles menu.

6. kam

kam New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Marlin\";p=\"106924)</div>
    I was under the impression that the Echo was no longer sold in the US now that the Scion division exists. If you go to the canadian website, www.toyota.ca, you'll see it listed there. We have tons of them here, especially the hatchback version.

7. priusham

priusham New Member

Michigan - land of everlasting snowflake icon!
    Settle down Beevis. Nobody with a brain buys a brand new car in order to, "save money."

8. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The thing is that I actually enjoy those situations. I have a clear advantage...extensive knowledge about the Prius. The commenter has read or heard a little bit on the news, made a snap judgement (in most cases) and knows very little about the actual features, how it works, how big it is, how fast it is, etc.

I find that just a simple opening line like: "Yea, I've heard things like that from a lot of people. The thing is, the Prius is a cool car to drive. It has some amazing features like (BT, VSC, NAV, etc) that are usually only found on high end cars. Also, I'm getting XX mpg and feel better about myself and that I'm doing some small part for the world by reducing emissions. Then I give my comment about how a Sports Car doesn't make sense nor an SUV for the majority of owners if you look at it in a pure dollars and cents point of view.

I give a comment about how much I save over my Expedition...the vehicle I most like would have gotten if I hadn't gotten the Prius.

Most people are interested, appreciate the education and leave much more knowledgable and open minded. And I don't come off as a snobbish tree-hugging nice person.

9. canuckican

canuckican New Member

Agree with everyone above...

I usually (almost always) point out what Toyota repeatedly says: the Prius was designed and built first and foremost as an ultra-low emission vehicle. The great mileage is just a perk to the prime mission of not polluting the atmosphere.

No other serious hybrid can compare or answer to that. Shutting down half of your cylinders at stop lights (Civic or Excape) still produces some pollutants - not none like ours!

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Think about it. A lot of PriusChatters have moved UP from lower mpg vehicles. True, someone who is considering an Echo (not because they want to but because of financial reasons or what not) will obviously not consider a Prius. Even for me, I would not have considered the Echo even though the hatchback is damn cheeky. Why? I wanted (at minimum) power windows/locks/mirrors, A/C, cruise and a power moonroof. It has to be economical and spacious enough for me to commute to school. While the Prius doesn't have a moonroof option, the coolness and mpg and emission factors all make up for it.

Sorry, I digress. Many will skew results and comparisons to make their statement seem believeable. If all they think is mpg, a bike is better. If they're thinking purely on cost, a used car or a basic Echo/Accent/Rio/Aveo/Swift+ will work for them. Ask them how they like to crank their own windows and run around in 30°C+ weather without A/C.

11. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(canuckican\";p=\"106968)</div>
    Actually, both the Civic and Escape shut down *all* their cylinders at stop lights. And the Escape and upcoming '06 Civic can drive on battery power alone. But only the Escape and Prius are PZEV rated, the Civic is not.

You're thinking of the Accord, which can *cruise* on 3 cylinders (half of it's normal 6). It also shuts down the engine at stop lights.

12. rosieox

rosieox Junior Member

Sorry, I did. Even with increased interest for new car, I'm saving $200 a month. Bought the car to save money. :)

13. Mystery Squid

Exactly. Particularly with respect to politics and religion. I used to argue aspects of both on various message boards, it's just too thankless. :mrgreen:

14. Mystery Squid

I heard somewhere Toyota is ditching the Echo... Looks like that might be the case after all...

edit: oops, looks like Kam's got it covered!

15. Mystery Squid

:mrgreen:

Uh,

huh, huh,

huh, huh, huh,

I actually did... :mrgreen:

I traded my huge gas guzzling F150 in for it. When you compare from that standpoint, it is in fact saving me money. $3-400/mo. actually.
    :mrgreen:

16. Mystery Squid

Very true... Unfortunately, the person I ended up having this "discussion" with, was not open to any other viewpoint other than his own. Oh well... But I agree, for the most part, people are interested, particularly when in person at a parking lot/gas station/etc.

:)

17. Mystery Squid

:lol:

18. popsrcr

popsrcr New Member

I think a lot of you should re-read Evan's post. While I don't agree with everything said, he has the most even approach. Fact is, the media has portrayed hybrids as an MPG solution, not an emissions solution. You can't condem the public for not reading up on the car.

For me, a Prius doesn't make much sense. However, for my spouse it does and we use it for our trips, etc.

I really think once the car-based sportutes get out there and available with hybrid tech, more will be sold.

19. Potential Buyer

Potential Buyer New Member

I've encountered this attitude very often. The thing is, people have the misconception of hybrids being economy cars. They don't realize many people find lower fuel consumption to be desirable in its own right.

20. Mystery Squid

I think rightfully so. From the standpoint of a very large demographic who own cars/suv's/trucks/etc., moving to a Prius would, in fact, be an MPG solution. From THAT standpoint, it makes total sense. As somewhat of an example, almost no one at my work place (probably 30 people) owns what might be considered an "econo-car" (Corrolla's, Sentra's, Civic's, etc.), most own SUV's, full sized cars, trucks, etc.. From that standpoint, the Prius is a total MPG solution. You go from a vechicle that costs 35K and costs $300/mo. in gas to a 24K vehicle that costs $60/mo. in gas, there you have a MPG solution.

Now, for the people with Corrolla's and such, the several extra thousand dollars for a Prius probably doesn't make too much sense.

However, if you isolate it to simply how far it can go on a gallon of gas, obviously, the Prius pretty much wins hands down (I'm sure that will irritate the Insight-heads! :mrgreen: ). You spend $2.30, you drive 58 miles. I can't think of any many mainstream cars that can pull that off. From that standpoint, it's again, an MPG solution...