1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

So what exactly did I put on my car?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Penny's Dad, Aug 15, 2010.

1. Penny's Dad

Penny's Dad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So I finally used the Toyo Guard Sealant Cleaner that was in the center console of my car when I picked it up.

I read the other posts regarding the Toyo Guard Sealant Cleaner and they did not really answer my question.

What exactly did I do to my car? Did I perform a kind of chemical clay job or did I reinforce the sealant i.e. perform a kind of Wax job? The bottle is no help at all.

In the other posts I read the Toyo Guard lasts about a year...The car sure feels nice and slick now like a good wax job...hmmm

Should I just wax when the car is a year old? Should I strip and Zano? Should I just keep using this Toyo Guard Sealeant Cleaner forever?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

2. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Is the Toyo Guard Sealant cleaner something to maintain the dealer applied rip off sealant? If so, continue to use the sealant cleaner until it's not doing it's job anymore, then strip and refinish with a wax or sealant that does what you want.

Zaino is excellent as are some of it's competitors.

Liquid or chemical claybar is a scam. It may clean your car but won't do what a claybar does.

3. Penny's Dad

Penny's Dad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hmmm...seems like some good advice but by your e-mail it appears you have never actually used the product in question.

Does anyone actually know what the Toyo Guard Sealant Cleaner is actually supposed to do...does it renew the coating and therefore act like wax? or is it simply a type of Chemical Claybar and therfore only cleans?

The car feels like it has just been waxed but it also feels like it does after a claybar treatments so I cant tell. I do know that the car is soft and shiney now so I am not dissapointed on the face of it.

4. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'm pretty sure its designed to transfer money from your account to the dealer's account. :madgrin:

It might protect the finish of the car somehow as well.

5. Penny's Dad

Penny's Dad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I repeat...

Does anyone actually know what the Toyo Guard Sealant Cleaner is actually supposed to do...does it renew the coating and therefore act like wax? or is it simply a type of Chemical Claybar and therfore only cleans?

FYI we negotiated the Toyo Guard out of the deal but it was already on the car :)

6. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Just a suggestion--have you tried a Google search?

7. jburns

jburns Senior Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Frustrating isn't it. I'd answer but I don't know either.

8. Joe166

Joe166 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    V
    I think the answer to what it is depends on which supplier was cheapest at the time they bought the 55 gal drums of the cheapest possible polymer sealant.

I doubt it would do any harm, but I am positive it won't do any more good than the cheapest "wax" you could find on sale at the auto parts store.

9. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It's an acrylic paint sealant. Supposedly the dealer has already applied it before delivery, and you use the little bottle to reseal your paint.

It's really no different than other Teflon type paint sealants, except that it comes with a huge dealer markup. The dealerships in the SE part of the country make this ripoff part of their standard sales routine.

Tom

2 people like this.
  10. Penny's Dad

Penny's Dad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Good answer finally! Much appreciated.