1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

So what's the worst mileage you've gotten?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by ultimate4g63, Jun 4, 2008.

1. ultimate4g63

ultimate4g63 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I am now on my 3rd tank of gas and am achieving mpg in the low 50's. I haven't had the balls to waste a tank of gas by driving the Prius like I did my previous sports cars. For someone that isn't hypermiling, knows absolutely nothing about how the Prius works, and just drives the car...what type of mileage (mpg and mileage per tank) is to be expected?

2. OrlandoGuy

OrlandoGuy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    The worst mileage was 42 mpg on one tank. That was due to the bladder tank I am sure as it was preceded by a 62 mpg tank and followed by a 53 mpg tank...all with the same driving.

I am not sure it is possible to see a true drop or increase with just a couple of tanks as the bladder keeps one guessing if the tank is really full.

3. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i can't seem to get a tank lower than 34mpg.

4. pjm877

pjm877 Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    33 MPG at 70 MPH with a 30 - 40 MPH head wind... in most cases I get 44 - 46 at 70 MPH... but at 60 - 63 MPH I get 50+ MPG :)

5. loftishb

loftishb HughB

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    54 during the winter. My parents bought one at the same time and never get above 52...I am not sure why the differnece. Mine is basic, theirs is Touring.

6. ultimate4g63

ultimate4g63 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks for the feedback guys.

Maybe I should've been more clear. I'm more interested in knowing what type of gas mileage I'd be looking at if I completely ignored the fact that the car is a hybrid, and just drove it. eg. heavy foot off green lights, no coasting, short trips, never try to get it into EV mode, etc. Is the Prius even capable of a sub 30mpg average for an entire tank? Mind you, I'm not talking about gas mileage if it were driven WOT the entire tank...just something realistic.

7. Clubford00

Clubford00 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I live in Chicago, I put 125-200 miles per day on mine. Stop and go city and highway. I dont waste time getting places my buisness relys on me getting to my customers as soon as i can. When the weather is above. 70 i will almost always get 48-52 when its 20 degrees out i get 40-42 when its zero and below i get 38 ish. And like i said, im not shy about steppin on the gas.

8. ultimate4g63

ultimate4g63 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

Good info. Thanks!

9. chrisspaulding

chrisspaulding sexy, high tech, fun

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Oh my that's great mileage!!! We have the same year/model and I CAN NOT get above 45 a tank! ??? (could a slight alignment issue be that big of a factor. I'm wondering if I have one)

Worst tank for me was 42. Once for a few miles I was in the high 30's and panicked, but it moved back up quick.

10. Genoz World

Genoz World ZEN-style living

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    good thread. my lowest is 42. that's driving like an idiot. i came from a 06 STS V8, i punched that car whenever i had the chance. guess it carried over when i first got our prius.

LOFTISHB - the touring has bigger rims, stickier tires, so the mpg is not going to be as good as the standard. i wish i had a touring - i would gladly give a few mpg's for the performance/handling. cheers to your parents.

CHRISSPALDING- have patience with your prius. once you get used to driving your prius in the most FE way,you will also get the great mileage. follow many of the great tips like what EFUSCO and more posted. learn the concepts of pulse, glide and warp stealth and you will love it. getting great mileage requires "mature" driving habits. it will come, have patience. good luck.

11. Spectra

Spectra Amphi-Prius

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Worst tank -- was my first tank: 38 mpg in Jan.

5 months later, in the weather & having figured out the hi-mpg techniques -- I'm doing 65 mpg :eek::eek:

12. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    My worst tank was also my first one 40.9 mpg. I have seen the avg go down as low as 38 when I drove up to Sierra At Tahoe (~6800 ft) but it climbed back to 48 on the downhill return trip.

13. Prius 07

Prius 07 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Fourth tank early spring '07 @49.2 since then all above 50 with the last 7 all >60MPG.

14. Prius4ever

Prius4ever New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    42 mpg seems to be a popular low number. That has been my worst gas mileage so far. My best, not for a tank of gas but for a short trip was 77 mpg. I couldn't believe it. It was mostly downhill, in town, with moderate traffic rarely going more than 35 mpg. Still what a hoot to actually see 77 mpg.

15. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My typical drive: less than two miles, stop and go (mostly stop) all the way, and hilly to boot. Below-freezing weather has given me a couple of 37 MPG tanks.

16. BubbaMcGeeHee

BubbaMcGeeHee New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I average about 48 mpg. I drive from Bakersfield California to Valencia Ca. (Daily Commute 85 miles one-way) I drive Interstate 5 over the Grapevine. I start out at 400 ft. elevation and the top of the Grapevine is 4144 ft. Valencia I believe is at about 500 or so ft. elevation.

The only time I have seen a big difference in my MPG is when I switched my Integrity's for Goodyear Assurance Comfort Treads... My first tank was 35 mpg. I almost panicked :eek:... but after a few tanks I am now back up to my 48 mpg again;)... I do get blown all over the road and I bought my vehicle used... so perhaps I should have my alignment checked. But the horror stories I have read here have me scared to death...

17. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

The bladder won't have an effect on overall average milage. Did you try to use hand calculations for the tanks you mentioned?

My worst tank was during a terrible storm and on my usual 76mile commute. There was debrise flying across the road and rain so hard that you couldn't see more than a few truck lengths ahead of you. I managed around 35-37mpg (I do not remember exactly).

18. sdtundra

sdtundra Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    my worst to date has been 43 mpg, 42.7 but rounded up;)

19. jeffares

jeffares New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    What is the "bladder tank".

I was getting 48 MPG, but the current tank is getting 42 via the consumption screen.

Also I see a 3 to 5 MPG worse MPG in my calculated MPG compared to the consumption screen. Anyone know or gets the same indication.

20. Ailu

Ailu Prius Groupie

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    We are only on our second tank of gas. First tank we averaged 42.6 - not as good as we expected. I'd read here about how the first tank of gas can be the worst - but we live in the mountains at about 3000 ft elevation, so it's up the hill.. down the hill.. up the hill.. down the hill.. so we weren't sure what to expect. But even so, our second tank is ending it's average at 46.8! We fill up again first thing tomorrow.