1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

So whose red Prius was this?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by eklabbers, Jan 17, 2007.

1. eklabbers

eklabbers New Member

Actually this is in Portland, OR. On NW 20th and Salmon near PGE park to be exact. We saw it on KGW yesterday. And it's on YouTube as well. I definitely recognize PGE park towards the end of this video. The roads are really steep there too.

Man, that was slick! I decided not to risk going out in that weather with my Prius, so I'm working from home today.

2. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Charles Suitt @ Jan 17 2007, 02:36 PM) [snapback]376962[/snapback]</div>
    What I really like is when some person with a Big Bad nice person SUV/pickup goes out in those sort of conditions, with their Big Bad nice person tires, and slide right towards me. Fortunately I have good studded tires, so I can a) swerve out of their way; and B) accelerate away from them, leaving them in my dust.

I actually like icy days. It's the only time I can use a Prius to blow the doors off some fugly pickup or SUV.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jayman @ Jan 17 2007, 01:11 AM) [snapback]377047[/snapback]</div>
    Exactly, like that SUV right in the beginning of the video. That was hilarious. The door, rear bumper, then the corner of the front and his right headlight, then the rear bumper again. You could hear him press the ACCELERATOR. What an idiot. He managed to hit 4 times as many objects as all the other cars in the video.

4. kdailey356

kdailey356 New Member

Oh boy, that must have been terrorizing for all of those people. The prius was not bad at all! I loved the BMW at the end how it could properly take the turn and stop... It was probably an XI, i have one as well as the prius and it is amazing in the snow.

Whew, i can only imagine some of the many court settlements that willl be on this.

5. Bill Lumbergh

Bill Lumbergh USAF Aircraft Maintainer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  6. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    My Prius has done amazing well in all of this ice and snow. I did not try any hills like that though. My worse moment was in my own drive trying to get started on the ice that formed last night. Weather looking up though. Reminds me of the times when we drove around on a parking lot that got flooded by a broken water pipe in Michigan. We had some good times using as a skid pad. We did it one at a time though. I thought it was Seattle because the logo said King 5 a local station, but it could be Portland they have some great hills as well. Problem with folks around here is that they see snow and ice like this only occasionally and have no idea on how to drive on it and when not to drive at all and stay home.

7. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Who says the Prius is not a winter car?!? It did much better then all the other SUVs! Man that is one slippery slope!

8. svbb

svbb New Member

Ouch that's tough to watch.

9. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Wow. Where is this?

10. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Damn...somebody needed to go up to the top of that road and just stop people from driving down it...

In a situation like that the car doesn't matter, no way to control a car on lice like that.

11. MegansPrius

MegansPrius GoogleMeister, AKA bongokitty

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SW03ES @ Jan 17 2007, 11:00 AM) [snapback]376747[/snapback]</div>
    Ok, I know it's just a typo, but "no way to control a car on lice like that" just nearly made me spew my morning coffee. :lol: I suppose those poor drivers were experiencing the after-effects of fleasing rain.

12. daveleeprius

daveleeprius Heh heh heh you think so?

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MegansPrius @ Jan 17 2007, 10:03 AM) [snapback]376750[/snapback]</div>
    That's the top of Queen Anne Hill in Seattle yesterday morning. I love the crunching sound the bumper on the Prius made when it hit the car. Crunch!! :)

These people deserve what they got for trying to drive on a morning like that. From the top of Queen Anne pretty much every street is downhill. And those streets are *a lot* steeper than they look from this persons balcony.

Dave

13. Squint

Squint New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SW03ES @ Jan 17 2007, 08:00 AM) [snapback]376747[/snapback]</div>
    I think in most cases, the tires matter more than the car. At least one news article I read mentioned that the cities there were ill-equipped to deal with snow or not equipped at all. If that's the case then I'd expect the residents to be equally ill-equipped.

Some of the cars in that video were almost OK. The ones that weren't probably had tires that were more worn or just not as good on ice. All of them were probably equipped with "all-season" tires.

14. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MegansPrius @ Jan 17 2007, 10:03 AM) [snapback]376750[/snapback]</div>
    LOL see what a menace lice really are!!!

Fleasing rain LOL

15. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :rolleyes: I'm confident that every driver in that comedy of stupidity had a very valid reason to be out driving in ice - NOT!! Makes you wonder about the intelligence level - probably "Well, I'm a safe driver, it can't happen to me!"

In North Texas [Dallas-Fort Worth area] we have spent several days at home [read: warm, comfortable and safe] watching TV reports of sleet, snow and ice and multiple collisions and wipeouts of drivers who "just HAD to be out driving" in unsafe conditions. One young woman lost control on an icy road, spun out of control into the path of an 18-wheeler and lost her life. That winter storm has been proceeding North and East.

16. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CapeCodPrius @ Jan 17 2007, 03:54 AM) [snapback]377100[/snapback]</div>
    I doubt it was the only reason. It could have winter tyres on it which I'm sure it does given it's rwd and it's not really advisable with a rwd vehicle to be going out in conditions such as this with AS tyres.

17. Kross

Kross New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Jan 18 2007, 01:22 PM) [snapback]377318[/snapback]</div>
    XI's are AWD

18. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Jan 17 2007, 06:35 AM) [snapback]376741[/snapback]</div>
    according to the NBC national news on tues it was portland, or. our weather was just as bad. heavy precipt for a week, half snow, half rain, then BAM, tuesday morning its 15º. so nothing but half melted snow, turned to ice. great time to test my VSC.

19. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Next time my neighbour teases me about not driving in the snow, I'll show him this video. I'm sure liking my new snow boots. :)

20. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kross @ Jan 18 2007, 11:17 AM) [snapback]377360[/snapback]</div>

AWD means nothing if you don't have the proper tires. In weather like this, it's all in the tires! You could have crappiest, heap of metal in the world with snow tires, and you'll still be out-performing anyone with improper tires.